Mothering Forum banner

Was anyone out there home schooled themselves?

689 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BabygirldueNov25th 
#1 ·
If you were home schooled yourself, I would really like to know how you feel you've turned out, and the things you did and didn't like about it!

I am 24 years old, and was home schooled by my mother from 4th to 12th grade. My parents didn't choose to do it because I had learning or behavioral problems, but rather to give us (my younger brother and I) the education they thought was best, and they didn't want to put us in public school.
I feel that I was different than everyone else, and missed out on so much, and still experienced peer pressure, which I received from neighborhood kids. I didn't go to college because I was afraid that I wasn't smart enough, and also because I didn't even know what it was like to go to high school. Also, I still hardly have any friends because I didn't have much in common with anyone else.
But, I feel like I turned out fine, and wouldn't change anything about my life now because I am really happy. My focus growing up was not on finding a career, but rather to be a wife and mother. This made it hard to keep relationships because a lot of guys just don't want to settle down. I found one that did, and it was wonderful! Now we are married and expecting our first child.
I don't want to homeschool, because I don't want to force my children to be different that everyone else, I want them to choose to be different if they want to. I don't however disagree with homeschooling, because some people will allow their children to be involved with activities to keep up their social life instead of just expecting them to rely on the neighborhood children for friendships.
I'd say, if you are going to homeschool, find other homeschoolers to interact with so your children will have something in common with at least some of their friends.
Jenni from Ohio

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.