teaching my child to read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for suggestions on books that I can read to help me teach my almost 4 year old how to read as well as suggested reading programs. She knows that the words in books are what I'm reading and gets so frustrated that she can read them too. She is starting to recognize letters (thank you bathtub letter toys!)

Last night we were using a pre-K workbook and I did OK when working through matching shapes, but when it came to explaining opposites (even though we read books based on opposites) and picking out words that sound alike I just didn't know how to explain it to her. I'm a chem major for a reason!!! I really would like to help her because I just love to read and I know what pleasures reading to can bring to a person.

Thanks for the help!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 PM

I'm kind of on the same path for my almost 5yo. We've done some Dick and Jane stuff which is great for him because he just said one day, "teach me to read" and you can do that with Dick and Jane. I know he needs to learn encoding and decoding, so I've been on the look for others. I checked out teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons and I'm considering buying that one. It fits my son's short attention span for structured learning. I just read teach your child to read in 60 days and found it VERY interesting, though I disagree with some of his attitudes about learning. I also just bought Reading Reflex on a recommendation from my SIL who has been homeschooling for years. It is a phonemic-based program that teaches the sounds before introducing any letters, then introduces the different ways of writing the sounds. For instance, it introduces the /s/ sound and the things that begin with it: celery, snake, then shows the ways you can write the sound: ce or s, etc. I'm interested to hear other ideas, too.
#3 of 3 Old 01-24-2005, 11:44 PM

Honestly, I'd wait a while.

Quote:
She is starting to recognize letters (thank you bathtub letter toys!)
It took DD 1.5-2 years after being able to recognize all her letters before she was really reading (well, 1.75 years until she could read a very early reader, 2-2.25 years until she could read well). DS has been able to recognize all his letters for quite awhile and is no where near ready to learn to read. It will be MUCH easier, IMO, if you wait until she is a bit further along (unless she can already really tell which letters make which sounds, etc...).

JMO,
Kay

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page