mamas who homeschool and also work for money as well... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-05-2005, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can it be done? Can I homeschool and also bring in a part time living (dh will be bringing home most of the moola with a full timer but my supplementation would be very helpful for college savings)? I'd probably need to see clients at home but it could be on weekends or flex hours in the day.... how did/do you do it?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 02-05-2005, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, of course you can. This coming September is going to be our first "official" year homeschooling, though we've been the ones teaching ds all along. Dh works a full time sales job. I'm a part-time breastfeeding counselor and a part-time nanny. Until his commission gets better, we need my income. We've managed to arrange our work schedules so that the kids are either with me, dh, or great-grandparents (once a week). My working hasn't interfered with ds' learning so far and I don't see it being a problem in the future.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#3 of 17 Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 PM

We've had lots of different schedules. I've worked part time, with him working pt in the evenings. Then I worked as a preschool teacher in the morning, and he worked full time - leaving for work as soon as I got home. Now he works full time and I provide afternoon childcare in my home for another family.

Now, my kids are very young, but we use mornings and my days off for the bulk of homeschooling type activities. Plus, in my case, I can do projects with all the kids together. If your job provides flexibility I think it can work out well.
#4 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 03:57 PM

I do it. I do freelance work out of the home.

I can't say that if feels great. Between doing a tiny amount of homeschooling, looking after an infant, working from home, trying to maintain a home and carve out some time for me I just don't feel that I am doing any of it at the level that I want to--just stretched to thin. My husband is a WONDERFUL contributing person, but sometimes works long hours.

I am homeschooling at the moment because it is a better option to me than the public school alternative. Tried it and drove me and my son bonkers. we're trying to get aid to get him into a Quaker school next year that looks awesome.

I think working out of the home would actually be much easier than working in the home for me personally. I try to work, the baby wakes up or my older son needs something. Really messes with my concentration. My work is intense. When I get a project I have maybe 1-2 weeks to do it. If i was ever late I would lose a client.

Just wanted to give you another opinion. Yes, you can but go into it with your eyes wide open. It helps if you have a supportive spouse, flexible scheduling and no perfectionistic tendencies. :LOL
#5 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 04:23 PM

Yes, I think it can most definitely be done!
We've been homeschooling for 9 years now and during that time I've worked evenings out of the home, day care in the home, weekends and now I have a home business. Each one was completely doable.
#6 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Yes, it can be done!

I HS a K and 2nd grader and am director of my church's nursery. I work 1-4 eve's a week ( while the kids stay with dh), I do writing, etc from home (while the kids watch TV : ) and work Sundays with the kids in tow. It works very well for our family!
#7 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 05:04 PM

I am now working part time. I have worked full time also but down to only part time. I am now at the point I am keeping this job so I don't have to hunt for another if we hit another life bump.
#8 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I work 2 days (15 hours) out of the home as a chiropractor and childbirth educator. I work for my dad 10-15 hrs a weeks as well at his house doing books for our family restaurants. My husband works a lot of hours in the family restaurants and they are variable - most weeks he does not have a day off and he often is gone til 11pm or later. We have a great babysitter for the 2 long days that I am gone. She takes them to the library and park and does whatever projects I leave for them.
we are HSing K this year. I try to stick to a schedule, but it never happens. It is very eclectic - the most structure we have is using Five in a row, but we do 2 weeks per book so I have enough time to work with the kids. Any day is a potential school day - I fit stuff in whenever I have the time.
The big issue for me is housework -- my dh helps, but he is just not home enough. I feel like each day is filled to the max and there is no time left over to just sit.
I am with wolfmama in feeling a bit overwhelmed, but Nothing can give right now. Do be prepared for the chaos!

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#9 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM

I tutor math out of my home and have seen anywhere from 3-12 students a week. I've done this since DD was a baby, and I've always been upfront with potential clients that my child would be at home while I was tutoring. It has worked out well. I also run a web site that started out as a hobby (and still is, for the most part) but has begun to bring in some money and require more of my time each day/week.
#10 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 AM

I'm one of those women who say It cannot be done. For me and my circumstances , it simply can't be done. I know women who work at home and homeschool and they do it well. My hats off to them. I'm not one of them.

However , just recently ( last week) , my husband and I made a compromise. The business he works for is in need of homeworkers. People to put lables on cables. I agreed to do this to help out with paying down our credit cards. I feel like I'm kinda pulled to the brink right now anyway..... so we'll see how long it lasts. It's simple work and something I can do while listening to the children read , or while watching tv.

Jokingly , my darling hubby said " ya know... idle hands are the devil's playground....and it's my job to see your hands aren't idle...." Well....it was funnier in person.....
#11 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 01:24 AM

I am a home daycare provider. I limit my clients to children over 3, and no more than 2 full time children at a time. Since I only take children over 3, they fit in well with the preschool activities I provide for my youngest, and also join us in other homeschool activities in the community. I hope to get more school age children so that the bulk of my work is limited to the mornings and afternoons so that we have more time during the day for homeschooling.

I know moms who work weekends, teach classes where their children come along(martial arts, dance, etc) or who are nurses. I also know of at least 4 other homeschooling mothers who also do home daycare.
#12 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 12:09 PM

I think it would be hard to homeschool and work part-time IF one is a very structured, school-at-homer type.

We are very relaxed and eclectic. When our finances were stretched to the limit, I decided to find an evening job. I waited tables for about 2.5 years, 4 nights a week. I worked from 5- 5:30pm till closing. Dh worked regular Navy hours.... 7:30-4:30. The only times things got kind of tricky was when he was on-call. A couple of times, he just took the kids to the hospital with him. Other times, our neighbors would watch them for a couple of hours until he got home. Didn't happen frequently, though.

Now we're at a different duty station and dh isn't "on demand" as much. Where we were before, he carried a pager for 2.5 weeks out of every month. He's never on-call here because the hospital has a different system. Because of that, he's able to moonlight in the civilian community. He works on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings for about three hours apiece at a cardiologist's office, and makes more than I did working at that horrible restaurant!

I have a homeschooling friend whose husband is also in the Navy, and she works in the deli at a supermarket (evenings). I'm not sure what she does with her son when her dh is out to sea.... he just recently got transferred to a ship. And I have another homeschooling friend who is a single parent and she does medical transcription from home. Personally, I don't think I could work at home. I would be too distracted.
#13 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 02:29 PM

I love the way you articulated your subject line! I really felt appreciated by the title you chose and wanted to tell you so.
#14 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your candidness mamas. It's giving me a lot to thinking about.

Thanks Mama Kass.
#15 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 PM

I homeschool and work from home. We are relaxed homeschoolers . I think it can be done. We have alot of fun with it. My kids always come first and my work comes second. And my job from home allows me to be flexible.
best wishes
amy
#16 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 PM

new to homeschooling...but...I work full time from home and we "school" 6-7 days a week. My dh is a student and home in the mornings so I get the bulk of my work done then. this is essentially workbook/reading/computer/pe/lifeskills (aka chores) time. then in the afternoons we do our hands on exploratory kinds of things. N is in 5th grade so is sort of self-directed in the mornings. I'm not sure it would work as well with younger ones as they require more supervision/instruction/range of activities.

hope this helps.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#17 of 17 Old 02-09-2005, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have worked full time since 1992 and I homeschooled my youngest until last year.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page