How many days a week do you homeschool? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-21-2002, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First of all, I hope there isn't already a thread about this...

I'm just wondering, should homeschooling be five days a week just like other schools? If so, do you have it seven hours a day as well? Or if you work outside the home, can you just homeschool a couple hours in the evenings? What about having it only one or two days a week? Are there laws about this?
#2 of 12 Old 09-21-2002, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess that depends opn what you call "school". I feel that we are learning all the time, however we do sit down to "school" five days a week for an hour. We homeschool year round, so that gives us plenty of time to cove all that we need to (ds is 1st grade) I hear lots of families do school 3 or 4 days a week, or do school 3 weeks then take a week off. It also depends on how you are homeschooling- some charter or ISP programs require you to keep attendance and do a minimum number of days each school year. We don't have to deal with that, but it is very easy (once you have learned to translate every day learning into educationalese) to log school hours for the things that happen naturally throughout the day. It certainly can be doen whiel holding outside employment, in the evenings, or a few days a week. I can't imagine spending more than a couple hours a day doing school, much of the school day in a brick and mortar school is wasted with busy work, and waiting for the rest of the class, not to mention taking roll, taking tests, handing homework, etc.
#3 of 12 Old 09-21-2002, 11:18 PM

No. There are no laws about it. You can dig up the laws for your own state at http://www.home-ed-magazine.com/HSRS...c_lws.rgs.html

We personally spend 24/7 doing school or not at all, depending on how you want to look at it. We do unschooling, or child-led learning. You could do a search on the word unschool here, and you could look for more information at unschooling.com, if you want more information.
#4 of 12 Old 09-22-2002, 03:40 AM

We do school Monday-Friday. I am seriously thinking if switching to four days a week, with Fridays off. Since I am relatively new, I am still finding a feel for this. Having Fridays for errands, cleaning and fun sounds really good. Ideas anyone?
#5 of 12 Old 09-22-2002, 08:42 AM

Kids are learning all the time. We work in the 3Rs on on MWF, for less than an hour. That is just what works best for our family for right now. That is the part of homeschooling that seems that most like school to me. It is short and painless, but the kids are learning ALL the time, whether or not I'm teaching them, whether or not it is part of a plan -- they can't help but learn.
#6 of 12 Old 09-22-2002, 09:50 AM

This is one of the things that I like best about homeschooling--that my kids don't distinguish between "school" and the rest of life.

My 7 y/o can play with numbers, finding patterns or working problems on a Sunday morning just for fun. My 11y/o can watch the birth of a Beluga whale on tv or see "Clash of the Titans" on a Sat. night because it interests him. They're always learning, whether they're reading, playing games, running errands or whatever.

Every state is different in their requirements, you'd have to check on the rules for your state, but personally, I think everything counts. (How can it not?)

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#7 of 12 Old 09-23-2002, 12:43 AM
Banned

Depending on where you are there might be laws on how many days and how many hours you must homeschool. In GA we must file monthly attendance reports with the local school district. We must have 180 days per school yr (aug 1- july 31) with at least 4.5 hours per day.

We have decided to school 5 days a week for 3 weeks out of the month most of the year. We will probably "bank" a couple of weeks to have a month of to visit the in-laws in July.
#8 of 12 Old 09-23-2002, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lets see, Sunday is usually free from school unless we have done nothing else that week or she asks o do something.
Monday is a get stuff for school done day because dh has the car and we have nothing better to do.
Tuesday is our classes for everything day so we usually blow off any school at home. we have Bible study/dd does preschool (where this year she will a helper to the little kids), dance, sign language, drama and then fall exhausted on the couch by three.
Wed. is a another don't do anything else school day (by school day I mean we do math, handwriting of some variety, and maybe reading although she is starting to do this more herself and maybe anything else we would consider school)
Thursday we do school
Friday we go to the library and run errands and clean the playroom
Saturday I look at our log and see if we need to do math (the only thing we do fairly consistantly) or any "creative filling". We are supposed to do 4 hours 5 days a week. I am not sure if that is a law or something I heard somewhere so we do a lot of "creative filling" in the log just in case.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 12 Old 09-24-2002, 11:11 AM

If the state has any attendance requirements, a lot of parents, running the gamut from unschoolers to school-at-homers, keep running journals about what they do every day and can then look back and translate those things into classes. For example, on Friday I had to take them to a meeting, and we got there early so to kill time we explored a nearby trail. We did it to kill time and for fun, but now I can call that 1/2 hour of science. We also collected acorns on that walk, and my girls are playing with them in such a way that it counts for math. Today we go swimming. It's a free swim, but in my book it counts as phys. ed. So does soccer. I read to them because we all like it, but it counts for school too.

We do what we do not for school's sake, but because we like it and then, if necessary I translate it into schoolese.
#10 of 12 Old 10-06-2002, 10:00 AM

#11 of 12 Old 10-06-2002, 11:45 AM

Dearest MOthering Friends:

I homeschool six days a week so that my children can learn to honor the Sabbath. We also homeschool twelve months a year.

When they were younger, it was everyday since life presents many learning experiences all the time. As they got older and learning became more formal, it was 6 days.
#12 of 12 Old 10-08-2002, 12:53 PM

We also unschool, or life learning. So it's going on all the time. But I make an effort to spend 1 or 2 hours most mornings with DD 10. Usually reading to her, but sometimes baking, or some other project. We also are working on our drawing and handwriting skills so that we can start nature journals soon. In the evening after dinner, she and I usually play a game or draw or do handwriting. Sometimes watch a movie. Before bed Dh reads to her. In addition she has drama and singing and dance lessons. All her choices. Lots of learning goes on when she and her friends play. They play store, castle, house. It all has learning value.

The 4 yo I spend time playing with math or letter manipulativeswhen she asks. Maybe once a week. She also goes to dance class, and playgroup ( mainly to play on the junglegym- no city parks here). She gets read to before bed and at other times when she asks.

They both spend lots of time on the computer. DD10 has cd roms that are great for learning. She also writes frequently. DD4 lays in word, typing out her favorite letters.

A pessamistic outside observer might think not much schooling goes on here, but I can see the changes in them. It's amazing. And John Holt is right: when it's child led learning, it's much deeper, more significant, and it sticks. When I try to force something she backs away and doesn't want it. I'm trying to sneak the times tables in right now, without forcing memorization. Slowly but surely.

Virginia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page