Need reccomendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-23-2002, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 4 months and I plan to homeschool (still working on dh). It is important to me to have support from my family, so I have decided to start early. Instead of announcing it I am going to try to get my father to think about it on his own. He often told me that the best teacher he ever had just told them what to read and never said a word. He also told me that grades are not always a reflection of how much you have learned. So I think he will be receptive, if presented in the right way. I have already given him Learning all the Time (Holt) but would like some more recommendations. I would also like recommendations for books for me to read. I just checked my amazon wish list and have about 30 books on there - I really need to narrow it down. I am looking for early general stuff, not specific "how to" books.

Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 09-23-2002, 05:19 PM

I really like Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense by Gutterson and the Homeschooling Book of Answers by Dobson. But please don't limit your reading to the number of books that you can buy -- check and see what your library has! Books that you really want to read but that they don't have they can often get from another branch or through interlibrary loan. I think that learning to really use all the library offers is a good homeschool skill!
#3 of 5 Old 09-23-2002, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder... we havn't been here long and I keep meaning to look into our local library. But I also need to narrow it down because with a 4 month old I don't have a lot of time to read! But I appreciate the reminder (and recommendations) - I'll have to try to get there this week.
#4 of 5 Old 09-24-2002, 01:31 PM

you might check and see if they have their catalogue on line. I reserve the books I want while sitting in my comfy chair at home. They email me and let me know when they arrive at our branch of the library, and the books are waiting for me at the front desk! It is much easier than trying to find books at the library while keeping my kids happy
#5 of 5 Old 09-25-2002, 02:21 AM

You're on the right track already with John Holt!

Some resources that helped me when I was first thinking about homeschooling:

Growing Without Schooling magazine. It's not in circulation anymore, , but you can get back issues here: http://www.fun-books.com/gws.htm

Home Education Magazine

Anything by John Taylor Gatto.

Homeschooling For Excellence, by David and Micki Colfax. (This was the first book I read on homeschooling, and it really inspired me. I haven't read it in a long time, however, so I don't know what I'd think of it now.)

An excellent selection of general homeschooling books can be found at http://www.fun-books.com/homeschooling.htm. Check out their whole catalog while you're at it.

I also recommend Rebecca Rupp's Complete Home Learning Sourcebook. It's not a general book, it's a huge book crammed with information on books, magazines, games, science equipment, computer programs, catalogs, web sites, curriculae, etc. etc. and divided into sections relating to what one's child might be interested. I took this out of the library when we were first thinking about homeschooling, and my husband and I spent hours pouring through it. There's just so much fun stuff out there! It's exciting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page