playing recorder?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-21-2001, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, We've been working with Oak Meadow's curriculums loosely for a few years now, and I've been looking ahead as I feel my son may need more in terms of music. He is 4 1/2, with an unusual attention span. He is on the tall side for his age, and I was thinking that maybe his hands and he are developed enough to begin to play an instrument. I was thinking of ordering recorders and books (so we can learn together). Is this too soon? I also remember some past issue of Mothering which talked about children and dulcimers. I play the flute reasonably well and am also interested in us being able to make music together. But, I'm also a strong believer in not pushing as childhood is precious and my son is quite precocious and pushes himself quite a bit. I try to be a more balancing influence. What do you think or what have you experienced with your own wee ones? Thank you!
#2 of 3 Old 12-23-2001, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recorders are very inexpensive. You could get one and give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out you could put it up for a another year. My kids are 3 and 5 and each have a recorder. They love playing them, but are completely uninterested in learning any actually notes or music -- they just like to make noise. This doesn't bother me at all, but it would drive some moms nuts.

The records aren't nearly as loud as my DH's full set of drums, which are in the middle of the living room!

We have lots of small, easy instruments such as maracas, bells, clave, bongo drums, etc. (Waldorf doesn't think percussion instruments are appropriate for small children)

Our house is full of instruments and we are considering unschooling for music lessons.
#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2001, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is also a tall 4 1/2 with an unusual attention span. We just gave a recorder last week and he loves it! I refuse to show him how to play the notes, but he's experimenting and I think he'll figure it out on his own eventually.

Does your son have a xylophone? Mine has one and has been teaching himself to play songs on it like "Twinlke, Twinkle" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb". We also have a piano which he's just beginning to play for real since he learned that most songs won't work on the xylophone. I don't plan on teaching him to read music for a long time though because I'd rather have him create on his own.

We've also been thinking of giving him a guitar since he really likes them, but a dulcimer sounds even better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page