sonlight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2002, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used the Sonlight program? If so, what did you like or dislike? It looks like a good program but I'd love to hear some feed back. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2002, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't use it because it is so freaking expensive although I must say it has a great catalouge and from what I have seen i am very impressed. We are actually using a lot of the books it uses because they look so great.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:39 PM

I don't use it either, but I love the catalog and refer to it frequently when I'm choosing books. I also order from it, their sale prices are good. I know a few families that use it and love it. If you've got two or more kids close enough together to use one level, I think it would be a great way to go. I bought their time line book and we sue that frequently. They also are a source for Hilyar's Child's History of The World.

Virginia
Old 10-11-2002, 10:26 AM

We tried their first grade history/basics program.
I was very impressed with how easy it was to use!
(I puchased most of the materials used- check the sonlight swap board and ebay. )

However, my daughter did not like the books that went along with the program.
She hated it.

We purchased the science program, it was well laid out and contained everything you needed, but... the worksheets were a little 'stuffy' and it was really expensive!
We ended up just using the usborne science books ourselves and gave away the teacher's guide/worksheets.

Overall, I think the program is a good one.
Sonlight seems to offer alot of support.
They are always trying to improve and make their service better.
(For example, this year I received a $20 gift certificate from them because they had re-done one of the manuals I had purchased last year.)

Yes, you could put together a curriculm like this yourself, but if you are really pressed for time and want something you can just open up and 'do'... I would suggest this program.

One drawback, well, not really a drawback but something you may want to note...
Sonlight is not very crafts oriented, if you and your children enjoy crafts, I would suggest checking out your library for craftsbooks.
Also, www.rainbowresource.com offers several great books.
(For example, Ancient Eygpt crafts, Pioneer crafts, etc. to supplement your studies.)

Also, this is a Christian curriculm, but could be adapted for non-Christians.
I believe they have a forum for secular homeschoolers using this program.

I plan on trying to use sonlight basics again when my daughter is older.

Hope
Old 01-17-2003, 04:42 PM

I LOVE SONLIGHT!! Read the catalogue and then order the books through scholastic and you save a ton, or just check them out fromthe library. It doesn't have to be expensive!! Our homeschool assoc does scholastic orders, go to www.scholastic.com and see about getting your own acct or call: 1800-scholastic. Good LUCK!!
Susan

User Tag List