how to teach reading? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on homeschooling next year and was wondering what anyone uses to teach reading? how do you start? vowels first? phonics books? i would like to buy a curriculum but the only one that seems to incorporate this is Calvert and it is over $300. to buy!! How did those that have been through it accomplish teaching their child to read? THANKS!!
#2 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 05:33 PM

I am using headsprout .com My kids love it my 5 yr old just read his first book after a week on the program
#3 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 06:32 PM

We used Phonics Pathways (which is a reading primer and was about $25) and Bob Books first readers (a set of 10 books was $15 I believe) The primer does start with vowels first, but the first Bob Book can be read after they learn just three letters, and having something to actually read helped my son. We stopped using the primer after he could sound out three letter words as it just wasn't working anymore, and he was starting to read very early readers.
You can get flashcards or magentic letters very cheaply, and use those to teach the letter sounds, or just point them out in the newspaper, street signs, etc.
I would stay away from those boxed curriculums- they are expensive, boring, and unnecessary (IMHO). Most people who start out homeschooling spend a lot of money on things they never use. Make use of your public library, buy used if you decide you really do want something, or trade. A kindergarten aged child doesn't need much, so keep it simple.
#4 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Banned

http://www.le.*********.k12.ny.us/sa...ightwords2.htm

You don't have to buy expensive programs. You can do it yourself but don't expect it to happen overnight. You didn't say the age(s) of your child(ren) but here is what worked for me: (and I have a Kindergartener reading on the third grade level).

First and foremost, create a literate environment. Read to your child, starting at 6 months of age. Buy books for presents. Let your child have his/her own bookshelf, so he/she has access to books whenever he/she wants them. Let your children see you read. Get magazine subscriptions. Go to the library. etc. Talk about things you read.

Then I taught my dd sight words--I've included a link. Basically those are really common words that she will come across a lot in reading. I had her memorize those words (using flashcards). When you think about it, we as adults have memorized most of the words we read--we very rarely have to use our phonics skills to sound something out.

One thing that children have a hard time realizing is that a word stays the same --- the same combination of letters will always be the same word. (Some children doing phonics think that they have to re-figure out a word each and every time they come across that word.)

I also pointed out individual words as I read to her. ("That's the word "dog." )

Simulataneous to memorizing words, I had my daughter learn the ABCs. (The "song" and what the letters look like.)

Then, after my daughter had been "reading" some words for awhile (the words she had memorized), I began to talk about sounds--the sounds of letters and how sounds join together to make words. ("Phonics" means "sounds".) I also taught her "tricky" sounds--like ph makes the f sound.

Some sound combinations to teach:

ch
th
ph
br
gr
sm
sn
tr
cr
dr
ain
tion
ous

etc!!

(I don't like all the "vowel rules" of phonics because they don't always work.)

So, in a nutshell:

literate environment
sight words--memorization from flashcards
THEN sounds/phonics

Good luck! If you haven't been reading to your child all along, this will take longer.

P.S. If you have some extra money to spend on this, I would spent it on computer games that teach reading-- "Reader Rabbit Saves Wordville" is my daughter's favorite.)
#5 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 12:22 AM

Dearest Mothering Friends:

To teach reading, you need phonics.

I used Macmillian (the plaid) series and Samuel Blumenfield's Alphaphonics.

Also read Jim Trelease's book the Read-Aloud Book since to teach is to encourage. When your child sees you and your SO reading together or to each other or just enjoying reading your child will see that it is an enjoyable experience, and will want to learn to read even more.
#6 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are several things we have used. generally my children do best with a program of some sort (nothing fancy just a logical progressing order and stuff they can read right away to make them feel like they are getting some where).

Here is what we like:

"BOB books". cute funny short stories that introduce letter sounds in a logical easy to learn order one book at a time. There are 12-8 books in each set and 5 sets. I was amazed at how smoothly dd progressed. $17.50 per set. Our library had the first three sets. bonus

Teach Your Child to read in 100 easy lessons. Not the most exciting book in the world but it does have children reading simple words (the same words as the bob books even) by day 1 or 2 and only takes 10-15 a day to complete. We never finished all the lessons because thier type was hard for dd to read. They use a special phonetic alphebet to spell words and they sware children will transition effortlessly to the regular alphabet but mine didn't. It was a serious hang up for dd. also they don't actually teach children the phonetic rules they just excpect them to absorb them which just wasn't happening. So it played a good roll but wasn't the all inclusive manual it was advertised at. Certainly wrht the $21 I paid for it though.

For my next child we will use "Explode the Code." This is a work book based program that goes through all the letters and covers everything eventually. I am not sure how many books there are or how many you actualkly need but there are al least 12 and they range in price from $6-$14 I think. (And they cover several years of reading and writing skills.)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 01:07 AM

I like the book "Teach a Child to Read with Children's books" by Mark Thogmartin, nice foreward by Trelease in it and lots of great lists, resources. Check it out at your library. That paperback and a library card is all you really need.
#8 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 05:26 AM

We didn't like 100 Easy Lessons, either.
#9 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 08:31 AM

In addition, make sure you read Mosaic of Thought about teaching Reading Comprehension!!!
#10 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 09:50 AM

We had tremendous success with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. The transition from thier funky type to normal type was no problem at all. We did it when she was 4. She's been reading for about a year now and I can't believe the stuff she picks up to read now.

My dd was WAY ready to learn to read though, so another method (or perhaps even no method) would have worked too.
#11 of 17 Old 10-07-2002, 08:26 AM

We love Hooked on Phonics. A friend loaned us her set, and it was wonderful. Buying it is expensive but I like that it takes you beyond just 3 letter reading, into reading more complext words.

Heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#12 of 17 Old 10-07-2002, 01:21 PM

Different things work for different kids. My kids hated How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons. My older daughter went so far as to say that if this was what she had to do to learn to read, she would rather not ever learn to read.

Some kids do fine learning to read without phonics. They are the exception. Study after study has shown that most children do best learning to read when the stress in on letter/sound correspondences. http://www.nrrf.org/ has a lot of good, well researched info on it.

There have already been several good and inexpensive programs listed. My kids really like the Bob books and we use Explode the Code workbooks. The only other thing we use (which hasn't been listed yet) is Reading Reflex. This is a book that I bought and Barnes and Noble for less than $20. It has little word puzzles that I cut out and the girls work on. They really enjoy it and it is very solid instruction.
#13 of 17 Old 10-07-2002, 03:28 PM

Has anyone here taught their child to read in English after the child can already read in another language? My son is 7 and in 2nd grade here in Zurich, Switzerland. He can read in German, which is a VERY phonetic language. When we read books in English together he gets very frustrated because he cannont read them himself. I am trying to stay low key about it and hope that it evolves soon. Any thoughts?
#14 of 17 Old 10-07-2002, 06:22 PM

Carmen - yes I have. Not my own kids, but other people's children who could read in Korean, Spanish, Hebrew, and Thai. They were all second language learners though. I assume your son speaks English as a first language.

What exactly would you like to know? I have a feeling I may be able to help.
#15 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 04:29 AM

Zealsmom-

Where do I start? He has begun to TRY to read in English, but gets frustrated because of all the rules and exceptions. He sounds the words out phonetically with the German pronunciation and then many times is able to change the pronunciation to English.

I just don't even know how to begin to teach him these site words and such. Also I don't want it to be a chore for him...
#16 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 08:56 AM

MY DD learned Indonesian, a perfectly phoenic langiage, before English. She struggled with English quite a bit. I plan on making sure my next two learn to read English before Indonesian! We had a book called Dr. Christman's Learn to Read For any Age. It explains all the rules and gives lots of examples. We combined that with lots of Dr. Seuss and other easy to read books. She plateaued at about Green Eggs and Ham/ Make Way for Ducklings and wouldn't move on to easy chapter books or even picture books with more words. A friend suggested trying lots of new easy books. kind of like doing lots of easy reps on a weight machine before going up a notch heavier. So we made an effort to borrow a huge stack of books that we hadn't read yet, and it did help. She still is not at 5th grade level, but she's much closer than she was 18 months ago ( she was at 1st grade level when we started). She is reading Black Beuty is small bursts. I'm hoping to get some easier chapter books to get her moving again.

Good luck, and don't push. Try getting ladybug magazine for your son, a new issue every month to keep him intrested. You can change to Spider mid-year when he's ready.

Virginia
#17 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 09:02 AM

OK. Well, the number one thing you want to do is make it fun. Don't force anything at this point. I'm still not clear as to whether or not English is his first language, but I assume so.
But research on 2nd language learning at school age shows that fluency needs to happen in the 1st language 1st, then the 2nd language 2nd. That's not to say that you can't learn them simultaneously, there just needs to be an emphasis on the reading/writing/speaking/content learning in one!

Bravo to him for being able to recognize mispronunciations and changing them. Keep letting him do that on his own.

Since it's the 'rules and exceptions' that are stumping him (they often do) you may want to ask him if he would like to work on one of those "Explode the Code" type books.
Many people also use flash cards for the high freqeuncy sight words. If you need a good list of them, let me know. But I'm sure they are all over the INternet.

It's my understanding that his direct English language and reading instruction will happen in 5th grade (isn't that the way it happens in Swiss schools?) So like I said before, don't force it. Have fun. you could create book clubs for him. Maybe even a mother-son book club where you only read English books. He could keep a reading journal of his English books that he has read.

Hope this helps in any way. Please let me know if you are wondering anything else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page