Books about children who homeschool? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 159 Old 12-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.brookviewcottage.com/miles/cards/cards.html

not a book but a great site by a homeschooled child

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#62 of 159 Old 12-22-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosario
Another addition to this list is Ida B...and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World by Katherine Hannigan. The novel for 7-12 year olds is just so charming and magical. A real hit with my daughter.
The first half of Ida B I loved (as did my one 8 yr old who read it) and then somewhere in the last half,it lost it's charm for me. I read it before my dd did and didn't tell her what I thought of the book before her reading it,and she shared the same feeling after she finished it. Ida's reaction to her mama's illness is what bothered my dd the most.
#63 of 159 Old 01-02-2006, 07:30 AM

Mama Gaia,

Hmmm...you've piqued my interest. How did Ida's reaction to her mother's illness bother you and your daughter?
#64 of 159 Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 PM

subscribing...

I also have a 4yo who talks about wanting to go to school. It's the playgrounds!
#65 of 159 Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 PM

We're in the same boat - I'm going to spend a fortune in gas driving to the library and on books at Amazon.com!
#66 of 159 Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM

'the neverending story' by michael ende - the protagonist is actually schooled but gets bullied at school b/c he's overweight. the book begins with him running away from the bullies. he hides in a bookstore, finds a book he's magically attracted to and hides out in the school attic reading it. he then gets drawn into the phantastical, magical tale he's reading (where there are no schools).
this is a wonderful, wonderful book - not just for kids.

'momo' - by michael ende. another one of my alltime favorites. momo is orphaned, living alone but in a lively, active community with lots of adult and kid friends - until the time thiefs come and steal the adults' time who start working overtime and creating schools for the kids to get more time for their work. momo is able to resist the time thiefs and starts to fight for her friends' freedom. a wonderful book against our fast food nations!!

most books by michael ende are very homeschoolish, or at least very school critical. the author had an awful time at school himself, at one point considering suicide.

i would also suggest most books by annie m.g. schmidt - they don't mention school at all.

the moomin books by tove jansson are also absolutely great (hey, after all we named one of our children after her... we must really like those books!), totally unschoolish.

and what about 'the reluctant dragon' by kenneth grahame? haven't finished it yet but so far the boy is totally unschooled.
#67 of 159 Old 02-12-2006, 01:19 AM

For older kids the Diana Wynne Jones books Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year Of The Griffin have, respectively,
1. Kids who's parents do not want them to learn magic at the university because they feel that the school will not teach them what they need to know. The parent's experience was that the school was more interested in turning out the next generation of complacent workers (wizard tourguides...) than in actually teaching to kid's strengths. So, they end up learning on their own to a certain point and then finding a tutor.
and
2. A younger sister who sneaks off to go to the university (with her mother's but not her father's permission, although he's cool with it when he finds out) and then finds that what her father said was true and the teaching staff is next to useless, so she and her classmates check a bunch of books that her father suggested out of the library and learn how to do all kinds of stuff on their own and save the day.

Diana Wynne Jones books have a lot of "school really sucks, anything you need to learn you can learn on your own by experience" messages.
#68 of 159 Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM

rECENTLY STUMBLED (OOPS sorry about caps)
upon this site and list of books.

Homeschooling books

They said they were found on children's shelves.. so they might be good. And it looks liek That kangaroo has another one.. Kandoo Kangaroo and teh First day of homeschool.. I'll keep searching
#69 of 159 Old 02-18-2006, 02:27 AM

eilon - I too was surprised noone mentioned Eloise!! That was the first one that came to mind. Both the books and the movie (s? are there more than 1?) are wonderful!!! My son loves them!

Re. wanting to ride the bus, take a ride on the city bus, you're bound to meet much more interesting people!! And you can go cool places like a park instead of school I think my oldest only wants to go in a school bus b/c he wonders if Ms. Frizzle will be the driver!

Another great "balancing" book we read whenever I feel like DS is hearing too many false positives of public schooling is ANY Calvin & Hobbes!! If that doesn't make a child glad not to go to school, I don't know what would!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#70 of 159 Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 AM

We've been reading Beverly Cleary's Ramona books to dd (4 y/o). There is a lot of content about school, but Ramona is mostly bored with school. . My mom is a third grade teacher in PS, and Lydia told me "Poor Grammy, she must be so bored in school all day".

We have Kandoo Kangaroo. It's extremely dorky, but dd likes it.
#71 of 159 Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee79
I was looking around my library's catalog and found this:

Author: Morgan, Nicola.
Title: Chicken friend

Summary: When her parents decide to move their family to the English countryside, homeschool their children, and raise chickens, Becca tries to make friends with her new neighbors by hiding her diabetes and throwing a twelfth birthday party for herself.

Juvenile Fiction.
We just finished this book. It focuses mainly on the main character's struggle to make friends/fit in/be cool. It does touch on her homeschooling (which heavily involves the chickens!) and her parents reasons for taking her out of school. She really struggles with being *boring* and having a *weird* family but figures it all out in the end. She's a very likable character.

One thing I didn't like is that she is very isolated and has no social contact outside of family at all (except for the two girls who pass by her farm on the way to school) but the family has recently moved so that could explain it. It is a very good book for the pre/early teen homeschooler IMO.
#72 of 159 Old 03-18-2006, 08:04 PM

Some of the American Girl protagonists are, essentially, homeschooled. Or unschooled. Kaya, Josefina and Felicity come to mind. Josefina's aunt (and eventual step-mother) teaches her to read and write. Felicity goes to classes, but they are about how to serve tea, embroidery, and have "social graces", not about reading, etc. She learned that stuff at home. And Kaya, well there weren't schools in Kaya's world during that period of time (she's a Native American before western man arrived in her area.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#73 of 159 Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 PM

I haven't read this so I don't know how it is but thought it sounded like it might be what some of you are looking for.

The Adventures of Lil' Wolf, Twinkie, Toes, and Flower Girl in the Homeschool Forest
by Jacqueline R. Campos ISBN: 1413784941
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141...lance&n=283155

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#74 of 159 Old 04-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica*
The Adventures of Lil' Wolf, Twinkie, Toes, and Flower Girl in the Homeschool Forest [/B]by Jacqueline R. Campos ISBN: 1413784941
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141...lance&n=283155
Has anybody here read this one? Can anybody give me a synopsis? My county library system doesn't have it anywhere, and I'm averse to buying it without seeing it, or at least hearing a review, of it first. Is it religiously oriented? Super school-at-home, or is it applicable to unschoolers?
#75 of 159 Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Tara - I've actually had a request out on inter-library loan for that book. If it ever comes in I'll let you know.
#76 of 159 Old 05-15-2006, 11:20 PM

Thanks!!!

Heather

Mama to 9 year-old girl , and a 7 year-old boy :, and my big little 6 year-old boy, and a 4 year-old boy
#77 of 159 Old 07-04-2006, 02:57 PM

How about The Wanderer by Sharon Creech. It's for older children (Barnes and Noble says 8-12 but I'd say 8 is TOO young to really get it all) and is about a girl and her cousins who are allowed to cross the Atlantic in a sailboat with their Uncles (I think Uncles). It was a while ago that I read it but I remember no mention of school (I suppose it could be summer).

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#78 of 159 Old 07-28-2006, 12:59 PM

I'll be checking these books out, thanks!

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#79 of 159 Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM

This is decidedly NOT a children's book, but it was such a wonderful surprise to me that I will recommend Into the Forest - it is a regular adult fiction book but it's a wonderful story with unschooling/natural birth/feminism/bfing content, and a good plot to boot.
#80 of 159 Old 08-17-2006, 05:31 PM

Tarragon Island by Nikki Tate - it's been a while since I read it, but I believe that the main character's new best friend is homeschooled, and it presents a pretty positive, humorous view (always lots of projects!). It's good for about 9-12 year olds or so, about a girl who moves to an island on the west coast with her family and has a hard time adjusting.
#81 of 159 Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM

I really need thid list. thanks sooooo much
#82 of 159 Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 AM

"Heidi" havent read the book but we have seen the movie. there are a few different versions. One with Shirley Temple and another one we got from the library. At one point Heidi lives with a girl that is tutored at home but she always longs for her mountain home with her grandfather. we love it.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#83 of 159 Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 PM

Does anyone know if the Boxcar Children series has the 4 orphans go to school in any one of them--or are these books happily (to me) free of schooly references?

We're sure enjoying the Magic TreeHouse series--the kids are always off on great adventures with no mention of school. Yippeee!
#84 of 159 Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM

We just finished From The Mixed-Up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler by E.L. Konisburg (http://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Up-Files...=UTF8&s=books).

I LOVED and was completely captivated by this book as a kid, and I was pleasantly suprised as I read it to my homeschooled kids. The main characters, brother and sister, Jamie and Claudia, run away from home to live at the Museum of Modern Art. Originally, Claudia, the mastermind and planner, hatches the plan to run away because of the sexism in her family, the unfair workload and the general monotony of her life. She invites her brother Jamie along, motivated primarily by his large sum of saved money (about $23). The tale ensues about their survival and then becoming interested by the mystery of a recent museum acquisition of an angel sculpture and whether Michalengelo was the sculptor.

What was impressive to me were the ideas of the kids learning on their own (following school groups, choosing different areas of the museum to learn about) but also going to the public library to research Michelangelo. I also loved how the brother and sister negotiated and worked together.

I would say this is about a 7-12 year old book, but I am sure all ages would love it.
#85 of 159 Old 11-23-2006, 10:09 AM

In the Jane Austen books and movies (suitable for teens)--at least in Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility--the protagonists are homeschooled. In P & P, an upperclass lady tells Elizabeth that, lacking a governess to teach her girls, her mother must have been a slave to her five girls' education, to which E has a thoughtful reply:

``Has your governess left you?''

``We never had any governess.''

``No governess! How was that possible? Five daughters brought up at home without a governess! -- I never heard of such a thing. Your mother must have been quite a slave to your education.''

Elizabeth could hardly help smiling, as she assured her that had not been the case.

``Then, who taught you? who attended to you? Without a governess you must have been neglected.''

``Compared with some families, I believe we were; but such of us as wished to learn, never wanted the means. We were always encouraged to read, and had all the masters that were necessary. Those who chose to be idle, certainly might.''

``Aye, no doubt; but that is what a governess will prevent, and if I had known your mother, I should have advised her most strenuously to engage one. I always say that nothing is to be done in education without steady and regular instruction, and nobody but a governess can give it....''
#86 of 159 Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 AM

P.S. There are also many autobiographical books about famous homeschoolers--including Thomas Edison, the Wright brothers, Alexander Graham Bell, Abe Lincoln, da Vinci, and on and on.
#87 of 159 Old 11-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nousername View Post
In the Jane Austen books and movies (suitable for teens)--at least in Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility--the protagonists are homeschooled. In P & P, an upperclass lady tells Elizabeth that, lacking a governess to teach her girls, her mother must have been a slave to her five girls' education, to which E has a thoughtful reply:

``Has your governess left you?''

``We never had any governess.''

``No governess! How was that possible? Five daughters brought up at home without a governess! -- I never heard of such a thing. Your mother must have been quite a slave to your education.''

Elizabeth could hardly help smiling, as she assured her that had not been the case.

``Then, who taught you? who attended to you? Without a governess you must have been neglected.''

``Compared with some families, I believe we were; but such of us as wished to learn, never wanted the means. We were always encouraged to read, and had all the masters that were necessary. Those who chose to be idle, certainly might.''

``Aye, no doubt; but that is what a governess will prevent, and if I had known your mother, I should have advised her most strenuously to engage one. I always say that nothing is to be done in education without steady and regular instruction, and nobody but a governess can give it....''
I love Jane Austen books!!!!
#88 of 159 Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 PM

I am going to add the Frank Baum books...The Wizard of OZ series. Taking place mostly (almost exclusively in OZ), there are no schools and teh characters learn on their adventures.

AlsoThe Borrowers and The Littles. No schools
#89 of 159 Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okragirl View Post
"The Golden Compass" by Phillip Pullman is a step above and beyond Harry Potter books; just as compelling, but aimed for older children (12 ish) and delves into some chilling aspects of power. It challenges The Church and will definitely be offensive to anyone who is devoted to organized religion. Don't even read it if you are.
I think his whole trilogy is fantastic - The Gold Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. I think the last two are more like one long book - don't start to read the second unless you have the third right in hand. I agree that someone who is a Christian would probably be upset by these books. But I thought they were wonderful and I cried at the end. As far as the HSing, Kiera is very much self-led teaching and utilizes the teachers around the college as she sees fit.
#90 of 159 Old 03-05-2007, 10:13 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Just read a terrific YA novel in which several of the children happen to be unschooled. "How I Live Now" by Meg Rosoff is about a NYC teen who travels to England to stay with cousins. They all end up trapped in a war zone when terrorist attacks break out while her aunt is in Scandinavia for a few days. It's a teen novel for sure; "crackles with anxiety and lust" it says on the back cover -- but a terrific novel, IMO. The cousins are unschooled, and their square-peg personalities and unusual skills prove immensely helpful during the invasion and occupation.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page