Books about children who homeschool? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 159 Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamaroo View Post
I am also looking for books for a 4-6 year that talk about secular homeschooling and present it specifically as a normal choice, and it seems from reading this thread and browsing amazon that there's a serious lack!
Yeah, I just came to this thread to look for that, and I don't see anything helpful yet. Maybe I should write one. Is it that exotic an idea to have a picture book for 4yos about how their friends are going to school next year and they're not?
#122 of 159 Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Hey all,

DS and I read a wonderful picture book last night. I wanted to share the information with you all as I know a lot of you (like me! ) are always hoping to find more (and better!) literature on home schooling characters.

What To Do About Alice?"
by Barbara Kerley Ill. by Edwin Fotheringham

It's a true biography about Alice Roosevelt--smart and colorful daughter of President Teddy Roosevelt--done in picture book style. The text is full, engaging and intelligent and the pictures are a lot of fun also. We found a copy on the "new" shelves of our local library. I was happy to know a bit about Alice, enough to know I should take a peak at the book. I (we) weren't disappointed.

DS proclaimed Alice, "Super Cool!"

The best,
Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#123 of 159 Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 AM

What a wonderful thread!! This is our first year homeschooling. DS is a Kindergartener. He has asked about a B&M school, because so many of his park friends started K this year too. They all go to our local schools. The other day, DH & DS were driving past a school. The kids were just getting out. DS asked what they were doing, and DH explained. After hearing about sitting in a classroom at a desk, with no freedom to move about, no freedom to play when he's feeling burned out, no freedom to have a snack when he wants to, no freedom to get his "wiggies" out (without being reprimanded for being disruptive)....DS responded, "that sounds very boring. I'm glad I have school at home."
On his official first day of school, I took him to the front door and pretended to mount a scooter and put on a helmet. DH walked DS over to my "scooter", and put his "helmet" on him. He gave him a HUGE hug and told him to have fun at school...he acted emotional at the sight of seeing his son go off to school for the first time. DS laughed the whole way. We drove our scooter to our "school" (a spare room I set up as our "discovery" room) It's a quiet place we can go to get away from his rambunctious sissy, and learn new things....but I digress.
I'm so thankful that you mommas have posted such a great thread. I know DS will be excited to have books that talk about homeschooling, or about adventurous kids that are HS'd.
Thanks mommas!
#124 of 159 Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to all who have posted. I've been cutting and pasting all the titles into a Word doc, and it's two pages long, with no repeats! Thank to everyone for so many suggestions.
#125 of 159 Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM

OK, Max and her pals aren't exactly homeschooled.... they're more like unschooled. They're human-birds mutant who escaped from a lab and live in hiding as young children. They educate themselves using the Internet. They're smart and creative but have terrible spelling skills! Hahahaha

This is a good series for young teens especially. It takes a positive view toward young people and their ability to make a difference in the world, choose right over wrong, etc.
#126 of 159 Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 PM

THANKS

so many books to add to my wish list

Aimee::

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#127 of 159 Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 AM

Here's a brand new one:

http://homeschooladventurebooks.com/

written by Rain Fordyce.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#128 of 159 Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 AM

It's a true must-have. A fantastic collaboration of Russell Hoban's (A Bargain for Frances) uniquely honest child-perspective storytelling and Quentin Blake's whimsical illustrations, "How Tom..." is the perfect unschooling tale for all ages!
Tom is always fooling around and doing the sorts of things that look too much like playing to his aunt Fidget Wonkham-Strong. He can't seem to stop, in fact, and do something useful, despite obediently "learning off" assignments in the Nautical Almanac. The threatened team of Cpt. Najork and Sportsmen is called upon to teach Tom a lesson, but all of the challenges strongly resemble just the sort of messing about that Tom is used to, and he beats them (soundly) at their own games....
Love, love, love this one! It keeps getting reprinted and quickly sold out, so try your library if it's gone from Amazon. (Don't pay the crazy vintage/collector price on ebay, etc. You WILL wear it out if it's in yr home library with 4 - 12 yos in residence, especially. Enjoy!
Living and learning!
j
#129 of 159 Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM

This is too funny. I just read the last post when I came on here to post about this wonderful new book that we just got. I can't believe Rain is on here posting about it. My son loves it. I think it has a great blend of kids who homeschool and kids who building school. But it does not make one look better than the other. Both have good points about them. Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to get this book, please do. Your kids will love it. I bought a dozen for our homeschool group and everyone who has received theirs has loved it. Great book and great author.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#130 of 159 Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM

sub
#131 of 159 Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 AM

What a fantastic compilation! Thank you all so much.:
#132 of 159 Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 AM

DS recently received:
Dear Pirate, the Buried Treasure Mystery (Postcard Mysteries) by Carole Marsh

It's about a brother and sister, a bit like the Magic Tree House but the kids are homeschooled (their homeschool club does a postcard exchange).

ETA: there is no religious content in this book and it doesn't seem like a super structured school-at-home family, more like relaxed eclectic probably. The only part of this particular book (we haven't yet read others in the series) where the kids have to "do school" is when, after having received some postcards from a pirate, their mother starts talking to them in pirate lingo and gives them a sheet of pirate vocabulary words to match up with their definitions.
#133 of 159 Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywaybecause View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to all who have posted. I've been cutting and pasting all the titles into a Word doc, and it's two pages long, with no repeats! Thank to everyone for so many suggestions.
ehy how about copying and paesting that into a post -- a nice little Summary -- so i can steal it from you

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#134 of 159 Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

I wish that when someone posts books on here that you would also leave a little fyi about religious content. I hate it when I buy a book that sounds really good and then find that it is full of religious stuff. I would rather know up front what the content is.

thanks,
Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#135 of 159 Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 PM

I agree with Aimee and Kathi:

Anyone posting a list? I just joined and haven't had time to go back and read through them all yet.

I would also like a forewarning of religious content when books are referred.

I just ordered two copies of I Am Learning All The Time. One is for us and one is to donate to our local library.

Thanks for all the tips, folks!

Lenore
Mother of Three Adults and One 5 Year Old in May
#136 of 159 Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Doesn't the family in Where The Red Fern Grows homeschool? It is, in the end, presented as a necessity, with public schooling being a more ideal option, but that's certainly not the focus of the book.

As a middle schooler, I loved a book by Kathryn Lasky called Double Trouble Squared, in which a family pulls their kids out of school to go to London for a year. They do bring along a public school teacher to do the teaching, though. It's a series now. I wasn't as enthralled with the second book as I was with the first, but I may have just been too old for it by the time it came out. I haven't read the third (or further?) book.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#137 of 159 Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Freya and Heath are Home educated (for preschoolers, no religious content, UK Children)

http://www.lulu.com/content/563010

And the followup the Genie and the Teapot
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Hom...5209062&sr=8-1
#138 of 159 Old 09-18-2009, 05:02 PM

I saw a new book at Barnes and Noble that looked like it might be good
"The Homeschool Liberation League"
http://tinyurl.com/l6pny3
#139 of 159 Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Has anyone read Schooled by Gordon Korman? From what I read on the description, it isn't about homeschooling really (more about a homeschooled kid being forced to go back to public school) and it doesn't sound like it describes your typical homeschooler (protagonist was raised on a commune by his grandmother), but looked promising as a funny read. Any thoughts?
#140 of 159 Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Schooled is so funny. I loved reading it and then I read it again. What a wonderful story. Of course it appealed to the old hippie in me as well as the homeschooler. Highly recommend this book.

Kathi

#141 of 159 Old 05-14-2010, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The Homeschool Liberation League by Lucy Frank is a relatively new young teen fiction book about a middle schooler who decides she wants to go from public schooling to unschooling.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#142 of 159 Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 AM

This is a fun forum.

In Little Women, by L.M. Alcott, only Amy, the youngest, goes to school. The oldest sister works as a governess, the second sister works as a companion to her aunt and reads to educate herself, and the third sister does "lessons" at home. Their neighbor, Laurie, has a tutor.

In Eight Cousins, the main character, Rose, is educated at home.

In An Old-Fashioned Girl, the two girls, Polly and Fannie, don't attend school.

Little Men is about a very unconventional school, and is very critical of typical schools of the day.

The author experienced a mix of school and home education. Her father, Bronson Alcott, ran an unconventional school for a short time, but the children seem to have been primarily educated at home. One of Bronson's best friends was Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Louisa had free rein in his library. Other important figures in Concord, MA at the time were also frequent guests, such as Henry David Thoreau.
#143 of 159 Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 AM

I recently came across a website that reviews books. They review books about homeschoolers and books by homeschoolers. It's worth looking at.

Kathi

#144 of 159 Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 PM

This sounds really great. I have seen the Wright On Time books and plan to look at them more closely. It is so important for our kids to have books that do not involve helping them get ready to go to school or dealing with all the problems that occur at school. But a lot of the homeschool books that I find have a very religious basis. Not all homeschoolers are religious or at least are not christian. It would be good to find books that are about homeschoolers and do not have a christian viewpoint.

The site I mentioned a couple of posts back reviews books by homeschoolers and books about homeschoolers. The teen son of a friend of mine has just submitted his first book to the site for review. Terror of Porridge is written for 6 to 10 year olds and can be found through lulu.com. I have not read it yet, but I want to order it soon. Maybe for a holiday gift for my 8 year old.

Kathi

#145 of 159 Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone read And Then Mama Said...It Takes Time to Learn to Read
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#146 of 159 Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM

I searched this thread and didn't find any mention of a book that we have read recently - so I apologize if this has been mentioned before in the book discussions.

"The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson series and the first book in the 39 Clues series, has a main character who is homeschooled. The two main characters are brother and sister who have lost their mother, the sister goes to live with grandparents and the brother travels around the world and is homeschooled by his dad, an archeologist. There is a bit of conversation between the bro and sis about how he sometimes wished that he had been to a normal school, and then she wished that she had been taught by her father. It is in the background, however, and not really part of the main story line.

Now we are big fans of the Percy Jackson series and I do not think the Red Pyramid was nearly as good, but the kids enjoyed it as a read aloud. We were excited to finally finish it and get to the new Percy Jackson book, "The Lost Hero". As I was reading in this book, one of the characters tells her father that she wants to be homeschooled! Now this is too much, because you can read a thousand books of fiction and never see the word homeschooling, and in two books in a row! Too much!

So I got curious and googled Rick Riordan and homeschooling and found that this famous and successful children's author homeschools his son! Here is a link to his blog where he talks about it.

http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/2006...xperiment.html

I think this is very cool! And we are enjoying this new book very much!

Gem
#147 of 159 Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem0406 View Post
I searched this thread and didn't find any mention of a book that we have read recently - so I apologize if this has been mentioned before in the book discussions.

"The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson series and the first book in the 39 Clues series, has a main character who is homeschooled. The two main characters are brother and sister who have lost their mother, the sister goes to live with grandparents and the brother travels around the world and is homeschooled by his dad, an archeologist. There is a bit of conversation between the bro and sis about how he sometimes wished that he had been to a normal school, and then she wished that she had been taught by her father. It is in the background, however, and not really part of the main story line.

Now we are big fans of the Percy Jackson series and I do not think the Red Pyramid was nearly as good, but the kids enjoyed it as a read aloud. We were excited to finally finish it and get to the new Percy Jackson book, "The Lost Hero". As I was reading in this book, one of the characters tells her father that she wants to be homeschooled! Now this is too much, because you can read a thousand books of fiction and never see the word homeschooling, and in two books in a row! Too much!

So I got curious and googled Rick Riordan and homeschooling and found that this famous and successful children's author homeschools his son! Here is a link to his blog where he talks about it.

Gem
Thanks so much

#148 of 159 Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Wasn't this a sticky before the transition? It would be a shame to lose such a great resource list. 

#149 of 159 Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem0406 View Post

Gem

Ha, the second I read this thread I thought of Rick Riordan!  Actually in all his books he never seems to be very excited about schools (they are always a bad fit for the main characters) and it seems the farther you go along (like in the Lost Hero now) he becomes more and more positive about homeschooling. I always wondered if that reflected on his own personal homeschooling journey.  I'm definitely going to check out his blog (we won't be able to be homeschoolers but I'm very supportive of it)!

#150 of 159 Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Weslandia by Paul  Fleishman

Technically he goes to school, but it's all about how much better things are when you learn while not in school. My older ds loved that book the first time we found it at the library!

Finding our way together. me, dh, and 2 boys 12/03 and 10/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page