Mothering Forum banner

Books about children who homeschool?

46K views 159 replies 121 participants last post by  Nazsmum 
#1 ·
Anyone know of story books for preschoolers about children who homeschool? I am trying to balace all the Vera's First Day of School books out there that make 'going to school' look so exciting with some showing what homeschooling can be like.

TIA

#2 ·
These are of all different reading levels.

A Time to Fly Free - Stephanie Tolan

Allison's Story: A Book about Homeschooling - Jon Lurie

Alice, I Think - Susan Juby

Armageddon Summer - Jane Yolen and Bruce Coville

Brian's Hunt - Gary Paulsen

I am a Homeschooler - Julie Voetberg

Kandoo Kangaroo Hops Into Homeschool - Susan Ratner

Kensuke's Kingdom - Michael Morpurgo

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

Monster of the Month Club (Series) - Dian Curtis Regan

My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durell

My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George

Olympus: It's Not Just a Game - Scott W. Somerville

Pippi Longstocking (Series) - Astrid Lindgren

Ruby Slippers School (Series) - Stacy Towle Morgan

Sarah, Plain and Tall (Series) - Patricia MacLachlan

Skellig - David Almond

Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli

Surviving the Applewhites - Stephanie Tolan

Touching Spirit Bear - Ben Mikaelsen

Also, there is a tv program on Nickelodeon called "The Wild Thornberries", they travel all over, they are homeschoolers.

HTH

#11 ·
Well, they aren't homeschoolers, but I appreciate that Jack and Annie of the Magic Tree House series almost never mention school during their adventures. They read, research, take notes, follow their instincts, meet and talk to interesting people, etc. All outside of school -- just for fun!

Warning: the first few books of the series have *horrendous* sentence structure -- fragments galore! They get a lot better a little way into the series; parents and teachers must have complained! They aren't great literature, but they're fun and can provide ideas for further study of history or geography.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by teastaigh
I'd add:

Seven Silly Eaters (one for littler children)

That book is awesome, but we always point out that if the mama had breastfed the seven silly eaters they (1) may not have been so picky and (2) probably wouldn't have been so close together

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceMomma
Not preschool, but Joey Pigza Loses Control has a homeschooled character in it. And Joey has to homeschool for a while. By Jack Gantos
You mean he gets to, right?

Great list!! Thanks, mama's. I'll be adding some books to our collection.

#23 ·
Quote:
Not preschool, but Joey Pigza Loses Control has a homeschooled character in it. And Joey has to homeschool for a while. By Jack Gantos

Quote:
You mean he gets to, right?
Ya know, now that I think about it, I can't remember if he "gets to" or "has to." I'm just in a "has to" state of mind right now after chatting with a friend who "has to" hs her son until he catches up and goes back next year. I tried to turn her on to some unschooling type methods, but she was very closed to the idea, which is sad, because a child will not learn unless they are inspired.

Anyway, just thought of another book, again not preschool. This is a young adult novel. Feed by M.T. Anderson. I loved this book!

Happy reading!

#25 ·
While we're speaking of books for older kids, Princess Kaiulani from Kaiulani: The People's Princess (from the Royal Diaries series) was schooled at home. She had a tutor/nanny though, and she was sent to a private girls school in England at 13
. The book speaks quite a bit of her taking control over her own learning and having a say in what she studies. There is a lot of sadness, especially towards the end, but it is based on the true story of Princess Kaiulani so the sorrow is unavoidable.

Dd was given this book as a gift. She wanted me to read it to her almost every night. She (we) loved it so much that it is now one of her treasures.

BTW, I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins. Plan to read that one with dd soon.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJsmomma
what a super thread! I'm going to print this list and see if we can find some around here. My 4 yr old is enamored with riding the school bus :LOL so I need to show him how fun homeschool will be
Wow, we're in the exact same boat! My 4 yo thinks that school is all about riding on the big yellow bus and playing with other kids on the playground. I'll be checking out some of these preschool aged titles. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.