A good school makes me qualified to hometeach... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 50 Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmile
Firstly it is sad to see the word "hate" used to shame someone for expresssing their beliefs in a public forum. I enjoy reading other's opinions so I may come to understand the very heart felt reasons for them. I can have my mind opened to new realities and honor them even if I strongly disagree/ don't relate. Secondly homeschooling, like it or not is a very political act as are many of the ways AP families choose to live our lives. We need to understand the history of those who struggled and are still struggling to create and preserve our freedoms to raise our children as we see fit. Lastly I wonder what board response to me stating a whole area of learning, say reading, just didn't concern me . (( The reason Civil War history may be uninteresting to a board member may come from her misunderstanding, possibly from a poor history education that it is about dates. I assume she is not a person of African-American backround to so blithely dismiss it's relevence to her life.))
"If your not outraged, you must not be paying attention. "
You make a lot of assumptions.

And just because I am not outraged about the same things as you are, does NOT mean I am not paying attention.

Perhaps you should start a thread on the importance of studying history?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#32 of 50 Old 05-15-2005, 02:34 PM
 
greensmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All my previous psts were in reference to Greaseball's statement " the reason I don't know anything about history is because I don't care." I don't assume you don't care about history but it seems you are offended by my attempt5 to show why history is relevent to everyone. And Btw what are you not outraged by : an illegal war were lots of innocent civilians are killed and maimed? our soldiers being placed in harms way under totally false pretexts from manipulated intelligence (remember WMDS?) Thje $ 250 billion of our tax dollars down the drain?
greensmile is offline  
#33 of 50 Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
 
Greaseball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 8,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why are you implying that I should be outraged? Can't I choose my own feelings about certain things? Can't my children do the same? I believe that is what will make me an effective homeschooler - not my insistence that certain things are important and merit outrage, but my acceptance of anyone else's opinion (or lack thereof).
Greaseball is offline  
#34 of 50 Old 05-15-2005, 05:07 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmile
All my previous psts were in reference to Greaseball's statement " the reason I don't know anything about history is because I don't care." I don't assume you don't care about history but it seems you are offended by my attempt5 to show why history is relevent to everyone. And Btw what are you not outraged by : an illegal war were lots of innocent civilians are killed and maimed? our soldiers being placed in harms way under totally false pretexts from manipulated intelligence (remember WMDS?) Thje $ 250 billion of our tax dollars down the drain?

Well, you know what they say about ASSumptions...

And why does anyone here have to justify their beliefs or feelings to you?
Do you teach your children exactly what they must believe? Do you berate them if, after being presented with the facts, they don't come up with the exact same conclusions as you do?

What I am offended by is you coming to a peaceful board and using it as a platform by which to shove your personal opinions down everyone's throats. I am also offended by you attacking mother's on this board as being wrong or uneducated. Finally, when you cloak your message IN ALL CAPITOLS and inflamatory language, frankly, I don't even read it. I figure the message is not strong enough to stand on its own, so why should I waste my time trying to pull out the hype from the facts.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#35 of 50 Old 05-15-2005, 08:08 PM
 
Openskyheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, I go to a university...though people are quick to point out "it's a state U; you couldn't have gotten into anything else!" Probably true...but I'm just not convinced it matters. It's the piece of paper I want; not the name...

Who the heck are you hanging out with Greaseball, that would criticize you that way? I wanna give them a piece of my mind!

Laura :
Openskyheart is offline  
#36 of 50 Old 05-16-2005, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jen123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Choosing to teach my kids history is a wonderful part of homeschool. Choosing WHAT to teach , HOW to teach , WHEN to teach , WHY to teach. I'm with greaseball on history. I just don't care. I'd rather my kids know how to live off the land , love a neighbor , show affection and state what they believe without condeming others.

Please take your political topic to the debate forum. This thread was not created for that.
Jen123 is offline  
#37 of 50 Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
 
laralou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: little house in the suburbs
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a reminder to keep posts to the topic of homeschooling. Posts regarding current events and news belong in that forum.
laralou is offline  
#38 of 50 Old 05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
 
chalupamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
What I am offended by is you coming to a peaceful board and using it as a platform by which to shove your personal opinions down everyone's throats. I am also offended by you attacking mother's on this board as being wrong or uneducated. Finally, when you cloak your message IN ALL CAPITOLS and inflamatory language, frankly, I don't even read it. I figure the message is not strong enough to stand on its own, so why should I waste my time trying to pull out the hype from the facts.
Right on, AnnetteMarie! I agree completely.


Even if one agree's with the information that greensmile presented as well as the point she was trying to make (which I do) I agree that the presentation was completely inappropriate. This is NOT the forum for these kinds of statements and that is so not the way to engage in civilized discussion.
chalupamom is offline  
#39 of 50 Old 05-16-2005, 04:39 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It would be much easier to read your writings if you made use of paragraphs.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#40 of 50 Old 05-16-2005, 05:26 PM
 
Greaseball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 8,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My top-notch public school taught me about paragraphs.
Greaseball is offline  
#41 of 50 Old 05-16-2005, 05:30 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And, for the record this
Quote:
Well, you know what they say about ASSumptions...
was not veiled namecalling.

It comes from an expression, which I thought was part of generally known cultural literacy
"To assume is to make an ass of you and me"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#42 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 07:48 AM
 
saintmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping to get back on topic.......I hs not because my ps education in an elite district was so good but mostly because it was so horrible.Hopefully my children are benefitting not because I know what to "teach' but more how not to 'teach'.Walking in lines,moving from class to class at the sound of a bell ,always being on the "same page' at the same time,Dear God in heaven how de-humanizing can that be.
I hs so my children can have the freedom to be kids,they come wired to learn.I know with some good books,encyclopedias,the net etc,if they have questions the'll be curious enough to source out the answers.
As for teaching history some of the older texts are alot more interesting(1900's- 1930's) my hschoolers been using robinson and breasted ancient history with the book of origional source readings and A history of Europe.Definately not dumbed down!He reads through a chapter and then we discuss the ideas and questions in it.We also have timelines that were always adding graphics to.The one in their bedrooms been ongoing on a wall for the last 10 yrs!
I was always a very visual and kinesthetic learner.It wasn't a well recognized or appreciated learning style growing up.I still learn new concepts and ideas this way.The read, study, test format is one thing I'm really glad I don't have to deal with because I hs.
saintmom is offline  
#43 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 08:04 AM
 
captain optimism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Good Ship Lollipop
Posts: 7,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmile
Dumbing down the discussion of the importance of history to paragraphs ((since when did people on the internet use precise spelling, grammar and mechanics anyways? this is not a paper I'm going to publish!) just has left me despairing for our children's future. There has been no constructive dialog about wether we can just forgo history. I would postulate that if so kids could just forgo parents since they don't need to know anything that happened before. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it- do we have to reinvent the wheel by going back to pre- geneva convention ,brutish monarchy, torture, might makes right, black and white, winner takes all living? I really appreciate what the "founding fathers" did and don't want to see it all go down the drain ( my ancestors' blood should not be wasted!) becuse we decide to be a buch of ignore-amuses.
You know, even though I was arguing for the importance of history upthread, I can't get behind your argument here. You seem to be saying "history is so important, and what difference does it make if I express myself well."

Isn't one of the questions of this thread whether parents have to have mastered academic disciplines in order to teach their chidlren at home? Here you are asserting vigorously that knowledge and mastery of history is essential, yet you dismiss the need for a strong command of basic writing skills in constructing an argument. How do you think historians work, in mime?

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
captain optimism is online now  
#44 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 10:18 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmile
Dumbing down the discussion of the importance of history to paragraphs
Firstly it is sad to see the phrases "dumbing down" and "despair" used to shame someone for expresssing their preferences for readable text in a pulbic forum.


FTR- I think history is very important. As are spelling and grammar.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#45 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 10:21 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, FTR- this thread is not about whether (note spelling) or not history is important, not is it about your personal interpretation of events in Iraq, it was about whether or not going to a good school qualifies one to home school.

And, finally, for the record, I do think we should get the hell out of Iraq. What I was protesting earlier was your demanding others to give you an accounting of their beliefs.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#46 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And it's not clear whether you have visited the Current Events forum...

Thing is, your ranting at us is inappropriate in this forum.

FTR, I also stopped reading your posts because the lack of paragraphing gave me a headache.

You'd also be surprised at how many of us 'snuggly ap moms' despise what's happened n Iraq. Basically, you're yelling at us, telling us stuff we already know.

Anyway- go to Current Events- plenty of people will rant along with ya there. Maybe even some of the 'snuggly ap moms ' on this thread.

But I should warn you that paragraphing might matter there as well. And nobody like being lectured to, or yelled at. Not even the CE folk.
UUMom is offline  
#47 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#48 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
 
laralou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: little house in the suburbs
Posts: 4,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will remove all off topic posts. You are welcome to start your own thread about the importance of history. Please don't quote off topic posts when responding.

All people with removed posts will recieve a PM and if they repeatedly ignore my warnings, an alert.
laralou is offline  
#49 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
 
saintmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh well I tried to get things back on topic. As for paragraphs when I type out my posts their there,but not when i post.So can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
saintmom is offline  
#50 of 50 Old 05-17-2005, 02:41 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you need to hit enter in between. Your post had indentations, which made things easier to read.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off