pagan homeschoolers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-03-2002, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, i'm sort of new to these forums. i've been lurking for a long time, but unable to post because i was stuck with yahoo email and library compters. my husband and i decided to homeschool our son (and probably daughter, too) and it's really working out for us, except for one thing. it seems so hard to find other homeschoolers who are not christian. the christian homeschoolers i've met are all wonderful, wonderful people for the most part and i'm glad to know them...it's just that i'm neo-pagan and my husband's atheist and i feel so _isolated_ sometimes. i only know one pagan homeschooler with a kid my son's age.

damie has just made friends with the most delightful JW boy, and his mother has been kind to me and considerate about our differences, but as nice as she is i really wish i could connect with someone who shares my beliefs. i'm always afraid his family will be offended if damie starts talking about sabbats or fairies or harry potter. i feel like i can't invite them into our home because there are god/dess images and pentacles (i make them) all over the place and i don't want to offend anyone but i don't want to have to hide my religion in my own home. i don't know how to explain it to my son. recently his rather conservative christian uncle was up for a visit, and damie wanted to show him the spell he was working on for the protection of endangered species. he took his uncle's refusal to see the spell as a rejection of _him_, not just discomfort about our religion.

is anybody out there?

bright blessings,
#2 of 9 Old 11-03-2002, 12:33 PM

There's a bunch of us here, have you joined the pagan tribe in FYT yet? I actually have found a groupo IRL of pagan hsers, which is nice. It started from a yahoo club- there may be more in your area than you realize. Put the word out if you really want to meet others IRL- they may come crawling out of the woodwork, so to speak. And we will definately be your www.supportclub
#3 of 9 Old 11-03-2002, 02:42 PM

Found a thing for my state called P.H.A.N
Pagan Homeschoolers Area Network
I just sent off for information so I don't know much yet.
You might try a google search with P.H.A.N plus your state and se what comes up
Also godessmooncircle.org has a contact list
Good luck and feel free to pm or email me anytime.
#4 of 9 Old 11-03-2002, 05:05 PM

I just joined this group at Yahoo. It has a listing of where everyone is located too. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Paganhomeschool/
#5 of 9 Old 11-03-2002, 05:30 PM

I'm pagan too! We don't have any pagan homeschooling friends either.
#6 of 9 Old 11-03-2002, 07:20 PM

Linda, I didn't realize that you're pagan. I actually have a really nice and cozy yahoo group, it started out being for AP pagans using a classical approach to education, but the educational approaches are braodening (good thing, not bad) so if anyone wants to join here is the site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crunchy_minds/
but send me an email so I know who you are and can approve you right away (mention MDC)- my email is at the group site.
#7 of 9 Old 11-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Banned

Khris

I just sent you an E mail. I would love to join your group. I explained a little about myself in the e mail
#8 of 9 Old 11-04-2002, 06:53 PM

I am so glad I found this thread! I'm having a really hard time finding non-christian homeschool groups both online and in person. I don't quite know what to call myself- I don't like religious labels and I don't know where I fit in yet. My husband was raised Catholic but now considers himself Pagan. We both choose to keep open minds about our spirituality. Actually, I never really had to think about it before-I lived in a big city and religion was never a big deal. Now we live in a small town full of small minds! Every homeschool group I have found is very Christian. I kept quiet about our beliefs and tried to fit in(so my kids could make friends) but after politely declining an invitation to their church we were pretty much ignored. I know all Christians are not like this but this is a small town-for example, one mom wouldn't let her son take karate because she didn't want him exposed to eastern mysticism- I finally took my son out of public school when he was sent to the guidance councelor because he said his favorite movie was "The Nightmare Before Christmas" ( Tim Burton-claymation)-The teacher thought he was mocking the religi\ous holiday! So I am in culture shock-never had to deal with such closed minded people-newly homeschooling-and getting kind of lonely! I know this is happening for a reason-it has started me on a whole new journey. Anyway, thats my background-didn't mean to babble-but if anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! I just want to find some other homeschooling families and hopefully some others in my area to share ideas/playdates/support/etc. I'm also new to the whole online thing-so I havn't gotten around much yet!
#9 of 9 Old 11-06-2002, 02:46 AM

Here I am!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page