Introduction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*delurk*

After lurking for far too long, I should probably introduce myself and participate once in awhile!

My name is Erica, I have a DD who is nearly 2. I (and hopefully my DH!) are considering HS for many reasons, one of which is simply the flexibility of the schedule. Then you add in personal (such as loving to see her learn and explore) and philosophical (such as feeling responsible for her care and development) and I'm pretty convinced!

We recently moved from Southern Ontario to (rural) Northern Alberta - a culture shock in many ways. That's part of the appeal of these boards - a reminder of different ways of parenting than those I tend to see!

Please feel free to ask more questions, I'm just trying to keep this a tolerable length. I look forward to participating more!

Erica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERENAUD
We recently moved from Southern Ontario to (rural) Northern Alberta - a culture shock in many ways.
I'm pretty new to the board too, but I'll jump in and say, "welcome!" My husband and I have just decided to remove our 6 year old son from public school and do homeschooling/unschooling from now on. I'm so excited and happy about the decision!

I lived in Edmonton for three years and yikes, I totally understand what you mean about CULTURE SHOCK. I thought Edmonton would be the same, really, as Calgary, but it DEFINITELY wasn't. If you are in any city up there besides Edmonton, well, I'm guessing the shock is multiplied. Of course, you'd think I'd be used to culture shock by now...I lived in Europe for 6 months, I moved to California, and then to Florida, major amounts of culture shock each time.

Have you found a homeschooling group up there yet?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
understand what you mean about CULTURE SHOCK. I thought Edmonton would be the same, really, as Calgary, but it DEFINITELY wasn't. If you are in any city up there besides Edmonton, well, I'm guessing the shock is multiplied. ?

:LOL
okay, this was too funny! culture shock to me is not edmonton, it's small town northern alberta - population 2300!
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome, Riversky.

And you're definitely right, Mandi - though I've got you beat - our town is of 1000! we're about 2 hours from Grande Prairie (nearest city) and 4-5 from Edmonton.

I believe that there's a group in Peace River (45 minutes) but I don't have a vehicule during the week so I haven't pursued that. Last week I saw an ad in the local paper from a homeschooling family here in town, so they do exist!

Erica
Old 07-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Where were you in Ontario? We lived just outside Hawkesbury for awhile. It was interesting, but too chilly for me. I can't imagine moving NORTH of there!!!! We are in Texas now.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we were in Ottawa (near Hawksbury, right?), then Chatham (near Windsor/ Detroit) before we moved here. We are 4 1/2 hours north of Edmonton, which is 2 hours north of Calgary, which is still further north than Thunder Bay, Ontario.

We've only been here for one winter, but by and large I found it easier to cope with than in Ottawa. Probably partially because I wasn't trying to drive in it, but also because the humidity is a lot lower. I regularly took my 1 year old daughter out in -20 degree (celsius) weather; properly prepared, it's tolerable.

But then, I'm not a hot weather person, and quite enjoy the 20 degrees it currently is. I can't imagine living in Texas!

Erica
Old 07-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50
:LOL
okay, this was too funny! culture shock to me is not edmonton, it's small town northern alberta - population 2300!
mandi
Haha, I thought this town of 25,000 was miniscule! I was afraid I'd find NO ONE under 60 and no one I could relate to in such a small place in Florida. Fortunately, I was incorrect and I have managed to find a few like-minded souls here and there.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I believe that there's a group in Peace River (45 minutes) but I don't have a vehicule during the week so I haven't pursued that. Last week I saw an ad in the local paper from a homeschooling family here in town, so they do exist!Erica
Obviously, I think you should definitely contact that homeschooling family. Who knows, they might know two families who might each know two families and you'll find out that half your town homeschools. Who knows, sometime in the future, you might figure out a way to join in with the Peace River group every once in a while. They might have weekend events, I know they do occasionally in our town.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Haha, I thought this town of 25,000 was miniscule! I was afraid I'd find NO ONE under 60 and no one I could relate to in such a small place in Florida. Fortunately, I was incorrect and I have managed to find a few like-minded souls here and there.
even in my small town i have found women who nurse their babies beyond two, families who co-sleep, unschoolers, unvaccinating families and well, very very few homebirths (myself and 3 others). i think MDC kinds live everywhere just i found in a small community it took a very long time to find them and everyone else thinks i'm cracked.

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 07-11-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Well, we were in Ottawa (near Hawksbury, right?), then Chatham (near Windsor/ Detroit) before we moved here. We are 4 1/2 hours north of Edmonton, which is 2 hours north of Calgary, which is still further north than Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Hawkesbury is just one hour from Ottawa and we went Ottawa many, many Saturdays. (There aren't a whole lot of places to go in Hawkesbury except Tim Horton's.) I really liked Ottawa. Winterlude was awesome. Do they do something like that up where you are now?

What is your weather like right now? How late is it staying light? Summer up north was great.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

When I lived in Ottawa we didn't tend to go to Winterlude all that often You know, one rarely visits the 'touristy' events that are local, right?

The weather here right now is lovely (in my opinion) - low 20s most of the time. (low 70s, in farenheit) I was in Ontario during summer solstice, so missed the longest days of the year. It's dark now, at 11:30pm, but it hasn't been dark long; maybe an hour or so? I like all the light (though we pay for it in the winter) but do find that it messes with my sleep patterns. Enough that I'm planning the next baby to be a spring/ summer because I seem to need a lot less sleep in the summers up here!

What always surprises my family (who are around Toronto) is how much our day to day weather is like theirs is - the extremes are different (hotter there and colder here) but day to day averages aren't too far apart. It also shocks people to think that we'd have to drive another 10 hours (or so) north to get to the North West Territories - there's a lot of Canada that's more north than we are!

Whereabouts in Texas are you? I know very little about your state, unfortunately!

Thanks for the interest!

Erica
Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
When I lived in Ottawa we didn't tend to go to Winterlude all that often You know, one rarely visits the 'touristy' events that are local, right?
:LOL I'm in San Antonio -- we have the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and Sea World. We went to the Alamo right after we moved here, and we drive by it every time we go down town, but once you've seen it, that's really all there is to it We go to Sea World pretty much every week, though.

Quote:
What always surprises my family (who are around Toronto) is how much our day to day weather is like theirs is - the extremes are different (hotter there and colder here) but day to day averages aren't too far apart.
But don't you get a lot more snow? When we were in Hawkesbury, we would get 30 cm of snow, and Toronto would get 5 cm. It never seemed fair.

Which brings up something totally different. When I was a child at school (in the states), I was taught The Metric System. We had a unit on it every year. The things I learned about the metric system were totally useless to me in Canada. I needed to know at about what temp. C you should bring a light weight jacket, and approx. how deep is 10 cm of snow. Where we lived the weather channel was in French, so I would sit there with my French English dictionary, and my ruler with both metric and standard, and try to make sense of the forecast!

Here I don't bother with the forecast. It will be really hot today (high 90s, may be over 100) and there will be lots of humidity. The outdoors will feel like a sauna. Our house is closed up with the AC on. We'll get weather like you are having now in Oct/Nov.

Sorry to so much.

User Tag List