Math for 5 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-22-2002, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a gut feeling my 5 yr old will be very good at "math" and just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a program, book, etc. to start?

Mel
#2 of 17 Old 11-22-2002, 01:28 PM

We liked Singapore Math, and also bought Miquon Math (which uses cuisinairre rods) but haven't tried that one yet. One of my friends who has an advanced 5 yr old uses Developmental Math. I think a lot of it just depends on your homeschooling style and the way the child learns best. The worst things would be to burn one so young out on a heavy program at this age. There are fun computer games for math (Like Math Blasters and Reader Rabbit) and lots of opertunities in real life to do math.
#3 of 17 Old 11-22-2002, 09:22 PM

My son loves Math-U-See! He looks forward to it. Also, we make a game of counting by two's, fives, and 10's. This will do more to make math fun and easy than you might imagine.
Other posts have elaborated on how 'math' is everywhere, at the grocery store, playing 'store', etc. You might want to check out 'The Big Book of Home Learning" by Mary Pride. She writes reviews of programs marketed to homeschoolers at all age levels. I found the book very helpful when it came to picking out teaching tools.
#4 of 17 Old 11-22-2002, 11:30 PM

I think that you've already started math -- by playing games, cooking, finding patterns, etc!

We use Singapore also.

http://singaporemath.com/

It really stresses understanding how numbers work rather just computing and memorizing. When my older DD was 5, she did Early Bird 2 and really enjoyed it. Early Bird 2 is a lot more fun that Primary 1, and it only costs $15, so I would let your child start there even if it is very easy and only takes a couple of month to fly through.

I also bought Miquon for her when she was 5, but it turned out that she wasn't ready for it so it sat on the shelf for a long time. She is now 6 and really really enjoys Miquon. Miquon was designed to be used as a supplement in gifted programs. It isn't a complete program but it looks at things from a different point of view. The first book introduces all 4 functions.

My DD is going back and forth, using Singapore Primary 1 one week, and the using Miquon the next week. She really likes doing math this way.
#5 of 17 Old 11-23-2002, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use miquon math as our sole math cirriculum. It is very visual (uses cuisenaire rods a lot) and there is no wrong way to solve a problem (so long as you get the answer right) I also like the way the workbooks are set up. Very simple and not too many problems on a page. you can also stick with one topic or bounce around. We started dd on this last dec (She was 5 ) and is now almost done with the second book. It is weak in some areas but those can always be picked up on the side.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 17 Old 11-25-2002, 09:51 PM

We're also gearing up to use the Math U See program (gramma's giving it to us for Christmas) for both my 4 and 6 year olds. The initial cost (2 workbooks, video, manipulatives, teacher's guide) is $100 but it covers three years of curriculum and the manipulatives are used thru highschool (though there are other *parts* to buy).
If you're not interested in a curriculum at this point, I second the suggestions above (I've really unschooled math to this point, using real life as a teacher) and adding that learning *doubles* (1+1, 2+2, etc) is another fun skill for them to learn. We also do lots of coin counting (Hayden's a money freak!), comparing the number of coins vs the value of the coins. I found some really cool wipe off books at Walmart for less than $5 each if you want to start out that way.
~diana ild

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#7 of 17 Old 11-26-2002, 01:33 AM

we combine Singapore math with lots of real life learning.

we use the grocery store,cooking,comp. games. play pretend bank,beauty shop,restaraunt,etc......

dd loves singapore!!!! loves shopping and price-comparison shopping!!

mamapoppins
#8 of 17 Old 11-30-2002, 02:58 AM

At 5 we just added and subtracted with money, beans and fingers. They like when I write out problems for them to do. Ruth Beechick has lots of good suggestions in her inexpensive, You Can Teach Your Child Sucessfully, books. Once they can count backwards from 20 they can play the Math-It games, and all my kids loved those.

Enjoy,
b
#9 of 17 Old 12-01-2002, 01:27 AM

What is Math-It like? I've seen it in catalogues, but I don't know anyone who uses it. Tell me more!
#10 of 17 Old 12-01-2002, 04:42 PM

I am not homeschooling, my DS goes to a Montessori school, but he has some interest in writing his numbers and doing math on paper (at school, I think they are using the Montessori Red Rods, and the decimal beads) but he wants to write his numbers and add and subtract on paper, so I got him a few workbooks at Walmart and he LOVES them. They have a few nice workbooks for Kindergarten aged and 1st grade math lessons.
#11 of 17 Old 12-01-2002, 05:52 PM

I suggest getting the Rainbow Resources catalogue to look through, it lists or reviews most of the homeschool curriculum for sale (including singapore math- we get it cheaper from them then the Singapore website). Also try the Michael Olaf website to see their Montessori Materials for home/classroom, very good ideas, their paper catalog has quite a bit besides the usual lists of materials for sale.
Discovery Toys have some neat games that use math concepts also. Their cd rom game Dollarville is really great to teach money concepts. This is a great time of year to ask for games for presents, deck of card games like UNO, etc.. Legos, Connect Four, yahtzee come to mind right away. Somewhere there is a website called Pig Out on Math that has lots of neat dice games- stuff I have not seen elsewhere.
Mel, if you want to just make up some mazes, simple math worksheets - not buy anything - pm me and I will post a list of links that you generate your own worksheets for math & print out as needed.
#12 of 17 Old 12-01-2002, 05:57 PM

Mamax3
When my oldest went to a Montessori elem. school, they used Mortenson Math workbooks, these are really great if your school can get some for you.
#13 of 17 Old 12-01-2002, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the tip Vanna's mom.....I'll check into that!
#14 of 17 Old 12-02-2002, 12:11 PM

Math-it teaches math mastery of the basic skill of computation. It gives shortcut skills for various math functions and uses a "game" style that makes it fun and challengeing. You could make the game boards your self. The addition one is simply squares with numbers 1 through 20. Then you have cards with all the addition number facts on them, such as 8 plus 9, and so on. The game is to see how fast you can place all the cards on the correct answer. My kids like to hold their breath and see if they can do it before they have to take a breath. There is also a story that goes along with it and additional boards for mutliplication. We found this to be much more effective and self exploratory than flash cards and workbooks.
#15 of 17 Old 12-03-2002, 10:06 AM

Math It!!!
Great program. The kids all loved it.
#16 of 17 Old 12-13-2002, 02:57 AM

Have you heard of the book Workjobs? I used it when I taught K-1. It involves making little counting boards and counters. For example, there are felt watermelons and black and white seeds. Frogs and toads with lilypads, fish in aquariums or ponds, You use the boards to teach all types of computation or story problems. It is written for the classroom teacher but could easily work at home. Many of the ideas for materials are outdated a bit, and you could find other materials for counters easier. But, the basic concept is good. You begin with the concept level and move to the symbolic. The acitivites are opened so your child progresses at their own pace. You can teach everything from number concepts to division. You could even do it with story problems.
I made some of my own up using things from the dollar store and craft department. I made spider web boards and used plastic spiders for counters.
I made my toads and frogs from pompoms, I use gold fish crackers for the fish. There are so many things to count. My son is 3.5 and loves them. We haven't gotten into formal lessons or anything, but he loves to tell stories with them. I enjoy making the kits also. I have considered writing my own ideas for a book for homeschoolers. I have some ideas that go past the original ideas. The book is still available on Amazon or Barnes and Nobles. It is getting harder to find.
#17 of 17 Old 01-17-2003, 02:54 PM

I use a comination of Miquon andSingapore, I am very visual and need practice, but likes the manipulatives with Miquon. We also do money bingo and put a math fact (ie. 2+2=4) on the calendar and learn one a day. I also inlcude him in the shopping at the market (weights and money: I am fortunate enough to live overseas for the time being, dh in the USAF, and we have a fresh market twice a week. We KNOW our metrics!!) So, lots of every day things supplemented with workbooks, which he just loves. Good luck, Susan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page