Any other Canadians here ? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
the regulations around homeschooling seem to vary quite a bit between the provinces.
Yes they do, just like it's different between the States. I've found the further East or north you go, the less there is. That's part of the reason, methinks. I *think* Alberta is the only other province that does this.

A good spot (in fact, the only one I know of) to go for national information is the site I listed before:

http://www.flora.org/homeschool-ca/

They have antioanl info as well as info on each province.

Personally, I wouldn't use any publicly funded program, burt that's just me.
#32 of 53 Old 08-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, I am unschooling too, well, we only have a toddler, but still! We're in Alberta with a waldorf influence.
#33 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 AM

Thanks very much Karen! The fair might actually be doable for us, now that dh isn't working evenings. It is also the evening of the peak of the Perseids meteor shower.... Maybe we'll sleep in Fri and make a night of it.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#34 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I found a start - a friend locally is using Oak Meadows and is willing ot lend me one of the books to look through.

It's hard to make a decision when you can't actually see the items before purchasing them.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#35 of 53 Old 08-25-2005, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

bump

Jesse (July '09)
#36 of 53 Old 08-25-2005, 06:39 PM

JenniferC and Mandi;

If this should be a separate post, please feel free to take it there or to PM. I'd love to hear more about unschooling in Alberta - my limited knowledge had me thinking that Alberta's requirements were fairly stringent. If I'm wrong, or if there's something I should know about ways to work within the system, please tell!

Erica
#37 of 53 Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Just a bump up, I don't want to totally lose this thread.

Jesse (July '09)
#38 of 53 Old 10-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERENAUD
JenniferC and Mandi;

If this should be a separate post, please feel free to take it there or to PM. I'd love to hear more about unschooling in Alberta - my limited knowledge had me thinking that Alberta's requirements were fairly stringent. If I'm wrong, or if there's something I should know about ways to work within the system, please tell!

Erica
I'm not in Alberta, but I have a number of unschooling friends and acquaintances who are. Unschooling is certainly more than possible in Alberta. You need to choose the right non-resident board to register with (Wisdom and School of Hope are often recommended, I believe) and the right funding option (basic rather than blended, I think). And if you're not happy with the perspective of your liaison teacher, you request a change until you get someone who 'gets it'.

Mandatory testing every three years for all Alberta students is often not an issue because many homeschoolers get really bad colds on testing day.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#39 of 53 Old 10-11-2005, 05:05 PM

Thank you for the insight, Miranda. I thought that there must be a way, because I do see unschoolers online here (who are from Alberta) but the way that the information is presented by the government it seems very stringent. And, I'm a self confessed rule follower, so it wouldn't necessarily have occurred to me to just not take the tests. It did, however, occur to me to simply not register my kids, once they become school age. I'll have to look into the non resident boards... fortunately, I have 3-5 years (my daughter will be 6, the legal age, on September 17th... the board counts from September 1st, technically giving her an extra year).

If anyone else would like to add their experiences, I'd love to hear more!

Erica
#40 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 AM

I am!!

I am near London, ON and Windsor, ON!

I mainly order from TheHomeWorks...however, this site looks interesting as well and I will be ordering from them soon...

http://www.tlceducational.com./

~Charlene~
#41 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 01:42 PM

I am an unschooler here in Manitoba with a 5 1/2 yr old and a 2 yr old. I just moved from the NWT in June. No testing there, and you get 2000.00/yr/child for homeschooling, although I think there are a lot of strings attached to how you can use the money. Here in Manitoba there is no testing either, just presenting a sample of your child's work 2x per year, and you register as a hs'er when your child is 7.

Good to see a number of canucks here! BTW, a fairly decent Canadian mag is Life Learning magazine.

Tina, dd Stephanie and ds Jonathan...still not believing we have no snow yet...loving the "south" of Canada!

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#42 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 02:17 PM

I'm in NB as well! I have an almost 2 year old and an almost 4 year old, who is supposed to go to school next Sept
Andrea, where/how do I get the form to register Jeremy as a home schooler?
#43 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM

I appreciate this thread. I'm in SK. My ds is 4, *would be* starting school next year, so we are doing our research. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the links that others have posted on this thread. I just ordered a free trial issue from this Canadian magazine: http://www.homeschoolinghorizons.com/
thought some of you might be interested in trying it out too, especially since it's free and Cdn!
#44 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 04:15 PM

Great thread!

I'm in Nova Scotia, just moved this summer from Ontario. If you can get the actual catalogue from The Home Works, they do supplementation packages for people using american curriculum. I love that they realize this need. So you buy what you need from the american curriculum and depending on what level your kids are, you can get a package of Canadian History, Geography and whatnot based on grade level.

Tina, that's really interesting that you actually can get money for homeschooling!!!! That's the first time I've heard that that is possible in Canada. Anyone in NS know if that's the case here?
#45 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Yet another Nova Scotian here

ETA everything I've read on home schooling in Nova Scotia suggests that all costs are up to the parents. No reimbursement at all. I have links somewhere but all my bookmarks are a jumble right now
#46 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 PM

NB Mom - there's a link to the form on this page:
http://www.flora.org/homeschool-ca/nb/faq.html

Also, you can email me any time. I don't get here as often as I like.
#47 of 53 Old 11-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Lurker here, from Alberta.
I thought i'd address the unschooling in Alberta topic though
You just have to make sure you register with a 'friendly' school board. I am through Wisdom homeschooling, and they are fantastic. I have complete freedom with what I want to teach and when. They only care that my kids are learning SOMETHING, doesn't matter what.

Other school boards have similar programs, but some school boards are quite 'schooly' and can make unschooling difficult.
That being said, a lot of homeschoolers (who mostly unschool) have gone with these other boards and have been fine.

At this point it is not mandatory to write the grade 3,6 & 9 acheivement tests, although they are trying to change that.

Hope that helps a bit.

Lisa
#48 of 53 Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Lisa;

Thanks a lot for chiming in on unschooling in Alberta - I know of only one other family up here, and they are more along the 'school at home' path. It's difficult to get a true sense of the options when the easiest source of information is *from* the system. Though, I had found a website (http://www.aheaonline.com/school_boards.html) that talks about 'willing non resident boards' which was a nice hint!

I've toyed with not registering, but my DH sees only the 'but if they're doing alright, why not test' side, not my 'I don't want to be evaluated by a system I don't support, one that threatens required public schooling if the test results aren't good enough' side. Fortunately we have some time!

Erica
#49 of 53 Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 AM

nak

We're in BC - planning to unschool. Our boys are 5, 3, and 6 months.
#50 of 53 Old 11-19-2005, 01:37 AM

Alberta homeschooling mama here.

Fully funded.

Loving the freedom!

P.S. I have lots of friends who are unschooling without issues.

Cheryl, married to Bear, mama to Chelsea (20), Brady (18), Brodie (16), Chynna (12) & Angels Bretton & Ciara.

: : :

www.members.shaw.ca/heartsbabyloss
www.members.shaw.ca/parentsplace
www.briarrosecottage.blogspot
#51 of 53 Old 11-19-2005, 01:38 AM

Alberta homeschooling mama here.

Fully funded.

Loving the freedom!

P.S. I have lots of friends who are unschooling without issues.

Cheryl, married to Bear, mama to Chelsea (20), Brady (18), Brodie (16), Chynna (12) & Angels Bretton & Ciara.

: : :

www.members.shaw.ca/heartsbabyloss
www.members.shaw.ca/parentsplace
www.briarrosecottage.blogspot.com
#52 of 53 Old 11-19-2005, 06:09 PM

Canadian Home Education Resources (www.canadianhomeeducation.com) is having a web sale right now. Looks like 12% to 40% off, and it seems like that's on everything. I've ordered from them once before (FIAR), and everything went smoothly, I was happy with them.

They are having a customer appreciation day in-store sale Nov 24 - 26; they are in Calgary, AB.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#53 of 53 Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Hi, I just signed up on this site today. I so need the internet to tell me I'm not a freak. I'm in a small northwestern Ontario town. We are the only family here that homeschool, and man I get some strange looks when I tell people about it.

It's 7:30 my two little ones have really slept in for a change, but I now hear them, tip toeing around... running to washroom and I'm so looking forward to my morning cuddles, playing a game, reading stores, .... whatever. Why are so many waking up now and hussling, and rushing to push their babies out the door for that day? Poor darling (I say that in regards to both the parents and the children). Kids grow up so very fast and I sure don't want to miss to much of it. I sometimes feel like I've be let in on a wonderful little secret, that the reast of the town just can't or won't here.
I need cuddles now.. More later.

Thanks
Vickie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page