Homeschool Spotlight: Annettemarie - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Annettemarie, it's fun hearing about your day You are way more organized than I'll ever be of course :LOL I thought the story problem idea might be fun for us and I was right. Bridget loves it! She gives me ones to do too Thanks for the inspiration!
I actually bought a book.called Daily Word Problems Grade 1 from Evan Moor. It's reproducible, but I change the stories around and have him draw them in the main lesson book. The very first one is:
One seal is on the ice.
Two more seals come.
How many seals are there in all?
Write the number sentence.
And then there is a picture of a seal on ice and two in the water.

BUT we were doing Peter Rabbit, not seals, so I had him draw a meadow, and I said "One bunny was in the meadow" and he drew one bunny. And lots of rabbit poop.
Then I said "Two more bunnies came" and he drew two more bunnies and a lot more rabbit poop. The I asked how many bunnies in all, and showed him how to write the equation. I am very surprised at how much he enjoys it.

When he gets older I really want to add a mental math problem and a logic problem to the routine.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
I might have missed this but were you homeschooled as a kiddo? It seems that you have such great patience and creativity![/COLOR]
Nope- Catholic schooled! But thanks for the compliment, although I am not nearly as patient as I need to be.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-10-2005, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

The trouble with homeschooling during the summer is that just about every day has something that makes it atypical. Today we had friends from seminary who are on a call in Iowa come visit. Their daughter has a very rare disorder and has to be very careful about what she eats, so I realized at 7 AM that the summer tuna salad I was planning on making wouldn't cut it.

We got in the car and went to Giant. The kids helped me pick out fruit, veggies, dip, hummus, bread, cheese, and : ring bologna. On the way home, we did devotions. I have this neat deck of "cards" called Travel Do-votionals (you can see them almost the whole way down on this page - I have no idea what else is on the page, and make no claim to any of it!) so we talked about the lights in the car/light of the world/ etc. etc.

We got home, had snack, and started school.

Today's word problem: Michael drew a huge fish. Then I asked him to give the fish 7 dark stripes. Then I asked him to count how many light stripes the fish had. Then he added them together.

While he did this, Katie Grace and I put the Peter Rabbit books away and put out some ocean books- away just means on the main bookshelf, not on the "special" bookshelf in the Gnome's Nook. And the Gnome's Nook is our breakfast nook which we turned into homeschooling space.

Nicholas played with some stick puppets I made by color copying the animals from Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See.

Katie Grace and Michael and I looked at an old Let's Find Out about sun safety. It was a read together, and the first three words of every section were "We stay safe" and then it would say "in the pool", "at the beach", "on a boat", at the lake" and I was really surprised and impressed that Michael could read them all.

I took a sentence strip and wrote "We stay safe" and then used a different color and wrote the ending parts of the sentences above. I asked Michael to choose one- he chose "We stay safe at the beach" and I hung it up for him to copy. I thought about having a separate health, safety, and nutrition main lesson book, but decided to just keep it in science. So he copied the words and drew a picture. I've read a lot of places that it's important for hand-eye coordination to have things posted up where they have to look up and then look down to write/copy, so I try to do this a couple times a week. This was one of my bad mommy moments. He was very messy and kept crossing things out, and I scolded him for not being careful with his work.

While Michael was copying, I set Katie Grace up with fingerpainting. Nicholas think fingerpaint is the work of the devil, so I had another set of the animals from Brown Bear that I had glued on index cards, and we turned them over and said the animals' names and what sound they made. The other two kept interupting to tell me it was onamatapia, a word I can't spell :LOL and one we learned a couple weeks ago.

Michael did some worksheets and Katie Grace and I read a book. Then Daddy came home and we started making lunch.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so our friends came with their 5-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son. My 4-year-old daughter had a very difficult time with not getting her own way. Note to self- plan some girly playdates so Katie Grace can learn that it's not all about her. My 6-year-old son was upset that the girls were so into their ballet play, they didn't want to play space with him. I was inwardly upset that everyone was reverting to stereotypical gender roles, but no one was crying or bleeding, so I got over it.

They left around 1:30, and we went right to quiet time. Mommy needed a break. Nursed the baby to sleep and worked on my curriculum a little. At 3:30, we dropped the little ones off a friends so we could go to marriage counseling. Got home at 6:15, and we needed to be at the library for storytime at 6:30. Luckily, their was beef stew in the crockpot, so the kids ate while I packed up the very overdue library books. Story time was about dragons- the sang and had story and made puppets, and then we chose books. I was so busy chasing the baby around I really don't know what anyone picked.

Came home, looked at books for a bit, cleaned up, story, and bed.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: AM I am loving this thread. The blog portion rocks, its great to see HS in action! What a fantastic idea!:

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 08-11-2005, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I can tell that everyone is enjoying themselves!!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 08-11-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
no one was crying or bleeding, so I got over it.
:LOL
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Too fun! I love reading about this too. I signed up on the other thread to have a turn. What a great idea!

thank you for sharing your days with us! So many great ideas!!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Luckily, their was beef stew in the crockpot
That's not luck, mama, that's good planning!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Woke up... got dressed... ate breakfast.

Today Michael copied out the bible verse, and we played a game called "Whine or not" where I would ask them to do something, and they would answer in a complaining way first, and then in a loving way.

I don't remember what they did while I cleaned, but I didn't seeing anything on fire, so I am assuming they just had fun.

After snack, we all sat down together and did another Let's Find Out. Michael dazzled me again with his reading abilities. Nicholas danced on the table while we did this. Seriously.

Then Katie Grace colored a fairy picture and Nicholas was coloring as well while Michael and I did a word problem- 2 hermit crabs were playing on the beach. 3 more hermit crabs came to join them. How many hermit crabs are on the beach now?

Nicholas and Katie Grace made a suncatcher from clear contact paper (cut in a fish shape) and blue and yellow construction paper. Katie Grace was especially thrilled when we hung them in the window and the yellow and blue made green. Michael strung beads to make "jewelry" will we did this.

Katie and I practiced ballet while Michael read a book to the baby. Is that weird? I figure she takes lessons, we should practice together. We practiced port de bras with our arms and played "good toes (pointed toes), naughty toes (flexed toes), and practiced reverence, because she tends to fall over when she does it at lessons.

We all did Music for Little Mozarts next, and learned piano and forte, as well as the numbers of the fingers. Michael already knew that part from cello. They had fun making loud and soft sounds on the piano.

Afterwards, we did a little fingerknitting. Michael doesn't do very well with this, and I feel so frustrated, like I just don't have the language to teach him how to do it. I really tried to relax myself, and he only did 2 loops by himself, but he did well.

I read a little, and then made lunch while I called my best friend from high school and shot the breeze, mainly about the new Harry Potter book. :LOL

We got out the Wai Lani yoga deck we had and each chose a position, then we read stories: a couple chapters in a book about Space Stations, Curious George at the Costume Party (interesting, since we don't celebrate Halloween) and some Dr. Doolittle.

Quiet time for Katie Grace.

Nursing and sleep for Nicholas while we sang.

Michael and I did some Starfall and journal writing, and then at 3 Daddy came home early to take the older two to drum corps.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I'm warning you- I didn't do any special cleaning up to take these!
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...y=-gb13iz&Ux=0

Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM

Great pictures! Thanks, it really helps to put visuals when reading the blog.

Looks like you have a really nice home!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:10 PM

I loved seeing these, but, where can I picture you, AM? Must see computer area
Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Nope- I've been a good girl. We lock the pooter up during the day and I don't get on til after dinner. Except today cause DH is home and I'm working on my curriculum, can't you tell? :LOL

Old 08-12-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I don't remember what they did while I cleaned, but I didn't seeing anything on fire, so I am assuming they just had fun.
Ohh yea, I have so been there. No fire is a good sign. :LOL

Quote:
Nicholas danced on the table while we did this. Seriously.
Well good for him gettin' down with his bad self It's physical education and creative rythm expression dontchya know!

Quote:
. 3 more hermit crabs came to join them. How many hermit crabs are on the beach now?
How timely for me. We just camped at the beach and saw hermit crabs IRL! They are very cool.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-12-2005, 06:46 PM

Those are great pics! I love the ones of the kids at the table together, and the one of your little girl looking like she is dancing ?. Too cute.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 AM

Hey Annette. I was reading your blog and the entry to your dh about the Magic Schoolbus series made me choke on my coffee. That was too funny!

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Poor DH, he hates those books!

I will update with Friday later today.

Annette

Old 08-14-2005, 09:22 PM

AM, I want to thank you so much for all of your posts during the last week. They were very helpful -- I have two little ones, and we will probably have a third at some point. Your entries were an example of how one can effectively homeschool with 3 young kiddos. It sounds as though you and your family have a very nice life.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine
It sounds as though you and your family have a very nice life.
Don't they?! I want to go live at AnnetteMarie's house.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 08-14-2005, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks- we do!

Friday was pretty much like the other days, except my husband had off. :LOL

Old 08-15-2005, 12:34 AM

I really have enjoyed this, and can't wait for more. I have gotten several ideas already and will probably get more too from others! What a great idea to have this!

btw AM, love the ddddc. :LOL
Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Call me Harry!

User Tag List