Homeschool Spotlight: Annettemarie - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are your kids ages and names/pseudonyms?
Michael (6), Katie Grace (4), and Nicholas (1)
Tell us a little about your family.
My husband is a pastor and I am a SAHM who has recently become a WAHM, writing a curriculum. We've been married for almost 11 years, and are on our first call.
How long have you been homeschooling? Is there a story behind it? (You can just link to tell me your story if you want!)
I've always wanted to homeschool, and DH has come around to the idea. We both were music education majors in college and have an education background.
Does your homeschool have a name or a mission statement?
Morning Song Homeschool. No mission statement. :LOL
What is your general homeschooling philosophy?
I believe in a lot of the principals of Waldorf education, although I am by no means an anthroposophist. I've read some Charlotte Mason, and we add some of her ideas, as well. We're Waldorf with a Charlotte Mason twist.
Do you use a curriculum?
I have an old Oak Meadow first grade that I use as a resource, but I don't follow it as it is laid out. I did some research on typical main lesson blocks for first grade in a Waldorf school, and planned around those. I also used Alan Whitehead's Golden Beetle Books and the Path of Discovery Books for ideas. Michael is using the very un-Waldorf Starfall.com for reading. :LOL We use Tree Blocks Math Blocks as a math manipulative, and Music for Little Mozarts for music. Right now we're using ABC Bible Verses for Christian Ed, but will eventually be using a Catholic school first grade curriculum, without the text- just basic ideas and projects. I'm going to add recorder and knitting eventually. For Katie Grace I just use my own curriculum I wrote.
Do you or your children have any special interests or hobbies that influence your homeschooling?
Michael takes Suzuki cello, and I love that we can schedule lessons whenever. Well, whenever on a Monday, because that's my DH's day off and he takes Michael to lessons because it's really hard with the other two. Katie Grace is really into ballet, and our studio actually has a homeschool class she will probably go into in a couple years. I am hoping they get involved with theater eventually as well.
What is your typical daily routine? weekly routine?
Daily Routine:
Wake up/dress/breakfast
Morning Routine (tidy room and brush teeth)
Devotions
Play for kid, chores for mama, sometimes they help
10 Minute tidy and snack
School
Lunch
Story/read aloud from a chapter book
Quiet time for younger two/ reading with mama for Michael
Snack
Art
Walk or outside
Dinner
Evening routine
Weekly Routine:
Monday- cello
Tuesday- co-op in the fall (American History, Phys Ed, and a 6 week course on manners) and ballet in the afternoon]
Wednesday- watercolor painting, Music for Little Mozarts
Thursday- storytime at the library in the summer, we color together in the afternoon
Friday- Beeswax modeling or playdough in the afternoon
How do you evaluate progress?
I really haven't had to do anything official yet, so I haven't
Do you have any special methods/tips for planning? household organization? storage? record keeping?
We started color coding when the third was born- we go in rainbow order, and it has worked out so they have colors they like. Each child has a folder in their color for each day of the week, and I put a list of what we want to do that day in their folder, as well as some "fun" coloring sheets or worksheets sometimes, or projects we're working on.
For planning, with having three so little, I have to really sit down and decide who's doing what when. I've tried winging it, and just crash and burn. So, if I have a specific activity for Michael, I need to know where the other two are, and then I need to plan some one-on-one time with the other two as well.

Okie dokie then. Any question?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a lot of fun. I to you about being able to come up with all the really awesome ideas that I have read about.

With the hoping your kids get involved in theatre, you live in Williamsport right? Lycoming College has a decent theatre, maybe you could get the kids doing stuff there? I went to school there, just an idea. The kids living on the Creative Arts floor(dorm) are really nice(ok they were when I was there) I bet they'd be someone who you could get in touch with about maybe having a "speaker".

I like this Homeschool Spotlight so far!
#3 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

What a great idea! Thank you- I will be on the lookout for that. We actually live within walking distance from the college.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Today was a very off kilter day. Usually DH has off on Mondays, but the church sexton died unexpectedly, so DH had a funeral today, and decided to work today and take off Friday instead.

After Daddy left, we did our morning routine- they have a little picture checklist upstairs- tidy bed (Michael makes his and Katie Grace folds her blanket), jammies hung up to air, dirty clothes down the chute, faces washed, hair brushed, teeth clean.

Then they came downstairs and we did devotions. We're just doing Bible verses for now, and later will add a Christian ed curriculum for Michael. We are up to letter D, and the Bible verse is "Do everything without complaining or argueing". We know a song with those words, so we sang that a few time, then we had fun trying to see if we could remember the A, B, and C verses (they did!). We had to finish up some of last week's work, so Michael copied last week's verse, "Children obey your parents" and drew a picture to go along with it.

Normally, they would play while I did some chores, but today they played while I desperately made phone calls to find someplace they could play while I went to counseling. since DH wasn't home. While I made some phone calls and picked up a bit, they played Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, a recurrent theme lately.

I try to do a word problem every day with Michael. I say it, and he draws it. Today's was "Mama Whale has 5 babies. 3 are boys. How many are girls?"

We did a little form drawing. Today it was concentric circles. We had been tying them in with Beatrix Potter stories, and I was going to say it was the ripples in the pond where the goldfish swam, but when Michael saw them he said it was Saturn, so he ran with that and decorated a space page.

By now it was time for my appointment, so they went to a friend's house to play. Afterwards, we went to the store. They played in the kids' club while I shopped, and we ate at the Chinese buffet for lunch.

When we got home, we started a new chapter book, Dr. Doolittle. Somehow Milly Molly Mandy got lost, to which I can only say thank God. We also read Jan Brett's Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and Naptime Laptime, the baby's pick. Katie Grace went upstairs for quiet time and I nursed Nicholas to sleep while Michael did Starfall stuff. After I put the baby down, Michael and I did some Starfall stuff together.

Michael added a story to his journal- he dictated, and I wrote. I asked him to tell me another adventure of Peter Rabbit.

Quote:
Once upon a time Peter Rabbit went into the woods. Suddenly he spied a bear. The bear said, "Whoa-ho! I'm going to eat you, and your friends, and your parents!" Peter said, "Don't you dare, or we'll eat you!" That scared the bear so much he ran away. Then Peter spied a bird. The bird said, "Squawk! Squawk!" and Peter said, "I'll eat you!" and he brought him home for supper, and Peter lived happily ever after. But not the bird.

We also practiced writing the letter A. I have a real bug up my butt about him learning to write the letters the "right" way. I am not sure if I am correct on this or not. He does capitol A correctly, but his lowercase a is all screwy. He starts the circle part too far to the left, so when he makes the tail he has to double back. We tried on paper, and then I set up the dry erase side of the easel for him to write on.

At this point Katie Grace prematurely woke the baby.

#5 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

So... after the baby calmed down a bit, and ate a dry erase marker :LOL I took off his shirt and set him up in his chair with some markers. He had fun writing all over his belly and face while Michael and I finished up. Katie Grace came down and we had snack, and then we finished some ladybugs we had started earlier- we had painted stones red on Friday, and today we added the spots. I put in a ballet video and Katie and Michael danced while I folded laundry. Afterwards, Michael and Katie Grace dismantled the nature table and turned it into Willy Wonka's chocolate garden. I needed to take some pictures for my autumn curriculum, so they helped me find some stuff I needed. They really had fun helping me make a gnome nature table. They were very excited about it, and kept asking if they could do it again later. Michael asked if we could buy a copy of my curriculum and seemed upset when I said we wouldn't have to, since I would have plenty of copies. We cleaned up and then changed our own nature table to an under the sea scene.

Daddy came home and we went out to dinner. When we got home we had story- more Jan Brett for Katie Grace, and some Shirley Barber fairy stories for Michael, and some Kindermusik board books for Nicholas, and then to bed.

#6 of 53 Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 PM

Thanks. This series will be a great resource : for not-yet-homescholing mamas like me to understand better what is entailed and how one might go about this endeavor (especially with multiple kiddos - which is what DH wants to know)!

:

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#7 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 12:12 AM

Quote:
and Peter lived happily ever after. But not the bird.
:LOL

Sounds like you guys are busy and happy!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#8 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, poor bird. Michael drew a nice illustration of the bear in a cave and the bird in Peter's belly. :LOL:

#9 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Once upon a time Peter Rabbit went into the woods. Suddenly he spied a bear. The bear said, "Whoa-ho! I'm going to eat you, and your friends, and your parents!" Peter said, "Don't you dare, or we'll eat you!" That scared the bear so much he ran away. Then Peter spied a bird. The bird said, "Squawk! Squawk!" and Peter said, "I'll eat you!" and he brought him home for supper, and Peter lived happily ever after. But not the bird.
That's a wonderful story Cracked me up! : You sound like you have it so together but have so much insight into your children. An awareness of their spirits Very, very nice to read about your day, thank you
#10 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 AM

This is great! I have been eagerly anticipating this thread. I especially love the daily blog. I am having such a hard time getting my daily and weekly schedules to work together. I can come up with a daily rhythm that works, but I can't seem to keep it coordinated with the weekly activities, KWIM. So it is very helpful to see how these two work together, and how to do all this with a one year old.
#11 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Then Peter spied a bird. The bird said, "Squawk! Squawk!" and Peter said, "I'll eat you!" and he brought him home for supper, and Peter lived happily ever after. But not the bird.
Bwahaha!! That is SO funny. Oh man. :LOL
#12 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So fun to read, Annette! I knew I would love these threads.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What Charlotte Mason-y ideas do you incorporate?

2. Does your dh do any special projects or subjects with the kids on a regular basis as part of your hsing?
#13 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
We did a little form drawing. Today it was concentric circles. We had been tying them in with Beatrix Potter stories, and I was going to say it was the ripples in the pond where the goldfish swam, but when Michael saw them he said it was Saturn, so he ran with that and decorated a space page.
I know this is soooo good for the kiddos...to take a theme and run with it....but I'm still learning how to control my disappointment when my well thought out planned idea turns into something else.

example: we were going to be doing patterns. So I grabbed some jumbo legos and stacked them red , blue ,yellow , yellow, green , red , blue. Then I asked what came next. Instead they were taken with how tall they could build the tower of blocks , what they could do to make it more stable , how tall the tallest building was , how'd they make it , what's the tallest building in our area , can we go down and see them building the new water tower....... My lil lesson in math/patterns became a self led learning expedition that the kids still refer to after all this time. I will admit to having my nose out of joint. My pattern study was going to be a huge hit! But then again...that's the beauty of homeschooling. Allowing them to run with things.

phew.
didn't mean to be longwinded.
#14 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 PM

As far as making the lower case a, in Writing Road to Reading (and its offshoots) they use a clockface. The a would start at 2 o'clock, b starts at 10 o'clock etc. They have a nice, big clockface sans hands for the kids to use. They claim this way of teaching also helps the kids learn to tell time on an analog clockface, btw.

(I'm not trying to start a new handwriting controversy; this just sprang to mind when you mentioned the lower case a.)
#15 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 PM

I was going to suggest handwriting help too!

Start with the letter "c".Whenyou do "a, d, g, q" you start like "c".

And unless there is some other reason to start with "A" I'd start with easy letters first I, T, L, O, ect. Handwriting is hard enough without starting with a toughie like A or a.
#16 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhemina
1. What Charlotte Mason-y ideas do you incorporate?
Lapbooks- we're going to do these sometimes instead of a main lesson book
The focus on high quality literature, although that focus on the beautiful is pretty Waldorf-y as well
The emphasis on nature study, which again, works well with Waldorf
Copywork and Memory Word

Quote:
2. Does your dh do any special projects or subjects with the kids on a regular basis as part of your hsing?
DH does cello, and he will lead devotions sometimes if he's around. He also does some read aloud stuff, and is excellent at supervising Starfall :LOL
I think as Michael grows older, he will be more involved, especially with religious stuff since he and the kids are Lutheran and I am Catholic, but for now, he mostly supports.

#17 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
I know this is soooo good for the kiddos...to take a theme and run with it....but I'm still learning how to control my disappointment when my well thought out planned idea turns into something else.
I know what you mean! One of the reasons I started doing a little preschool time with Michael ever since he was a toddler was so I could sort of train myself to respond to his cues, and to get to know his learning style.

#18 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the handwriting suggestions. He doesn't do time yet, so I don't know if that will be helpful to him, but the c idea should work. It's nice to know other people have had these issues. I was feeling so frustrated, and so was Michael, and I looked at him and said, you know, you're the first kid I ever taught how to do this. He looked shocked that someone so inexperienced was responsible for his education.

#19 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Today we woke up very early to watch NASA TV and see the space shuttle land. I was very relieved not only for the astronauts' sakes, but for my son's as well. I was really worried something awful would happen and traumatize him for life.

DH did breakfast while I put away diapers, dressed the baby, got a shower, and made the bed. Then I put in a load of- surprise- diapers, while the little ones did their morning routine. For devotions, we told some stories and sang some songs. Then they played their own Willy Wonka version of Candyland while I did some school planning. This was followed up by a musical version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and then they built a "vehicle resembly line" with blocks. I have no idea what this is, but it involved blocks with a playsilk over top, and cars driving in and out.

After a yogurt snack, we had a fun circle time. We moved like different ocean creatures, sang "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" which morphed into:
My body lies over the ocean
My bottom lies over the ocean
My bumdi (our word for bottom) lies over the ocean
My boogers lie over the ocean

We played "Charlie in the water" as a chasing game and "a sailor went to sea, sea, sea" as a clapping game.
Then we sang Baby Beluga and played a long with rhythm instruments

We read some ocean books and learned how some seagulls open shells- they fly over rocks, drop the shells, and then scoop down and eat the meat. We also learned the names of the different "zones"- spray zone, high tide zone, medium tide zone, and low tide zone.

Michael did a worksheet (what can I say, he likes them!) while Katie Grace and I made a stand-up doggy. Nicholas tore apart an old magazine and very carefully put the pages in a brown paper bag.

Michael and I then did today's word problem. It was a tough one- The Seagull Family lives on the rock by the ocean. Every day they eat 10 fish. How many fish do they eat in 4 days? It was a toughy. He finally ended up doing 4 sets of tally marks, and counting them, and then I showed him how to count by 10s. While we did this, Katie Grace "read" to the baby.

Next I spent a little baby time while Michael and Katie chose something from the basket. I borrowed the ziplock bag idea from here and have 6-8 choices in a basket. Michael strung pony beads and made a bracelet, and Katie Grace traced some stencils. Nicholas and I read Brown Bear Brown Bear what do you see. He liked it!

Then I set Nicholas up in the high chair with paper, paint brush, and some water so he could "water paint", while Katie and Michael and I finished up. I don't remember what Katie did (good thing I don't have to keep track! :LOL ) but Michael did some starfall stuff.

Cleanup, then lunch, then a little yoga, then some Dr. Doolittle, during which Katie Grace managed to kill a bookshelf and break some glass. I cleaned it up, finished the story, and sent Katie Grace upstairs for quiet time. Nursed the baby to sleep, and read some easy readers with Michael. Then we wrote some b's. It went much than the letter A.

I started an under the sea felt tapestry for the nature table. Michael didn't want to do one, but Katie Grace made a beautiful one after quiet time. Daddy came home a little early and practiced cello with Michael, and then we cleaned like crazy because we have friends coming tomorrow.

So, that was our Tuesday! No ballet until September.

#20 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 10:45 PM

I LOVE this idea/thread. I just have to subscribe! :
#21 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie

Then I set Nicholas up in the high chair with paper, paint brush, and some water so he could "water paint",

Gotta love the keep-baby-busy-and-immobile ideas. Keep 'em coming.

(how old is baby again?)
#22 of 53 Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I looked at him and said, you know, you're the first kid I ever taught how to do this. He looked shocked that someone so inexperienced was responsible for his education.
: It's good for them to know we're not gods! I used to get the same look from my preschoolers when I had to do something human like take a bathroom brake.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#23 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama
I used to get the same look from my preschoolers when I had to do something human like take a bathroom brake.

LOL

To help train my kids to stop saying "Can I go to the bathroom?" When I had to go I'd do the same potty dance they did and either say "can I go potty?". They always rolled their eyes.....but they stopped asking. lol

I'd like to sign up to participate in sharing our days. How do I do that ?
#24 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
LOL

I'd like to sign up to participate in sharing our days. How do I do that ?
There is a thread called Homeschool Weekly Spotlight. You can reply to that thread to get your name added or maybe pm Annettemarie.
#25 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 04:26 PM

just wanted to say thanks for sharing-I'm enjoying hearing "real life" experiences and seeing what others do

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#26 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Annettemarie, it's fun hearing about your day You are way more organized than I'll ever be of course :LOL I thought the story problem idea might be fun for us and I was right. Bridget loves it! She gives me ones to do too Thanks for the inspiration!
#27 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
After a yogurt snack, we had a fun circle time. We moved like different ocean creatures, sang "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" which morphed into:
My body lies over the ocean
My bottom lies over the ocean
My bumdi (our word for bottom) lies over the ocean
My boogers lie over the ocean

How funny! :LOL (and cool that Mom goes along with it anyway...)

I might have missed this but were you homeschooled as a kiddo? It seems that you have such great patience and creativity!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#28 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM

AM, I am learning SO MUCH from you! Thank you thank you thank you!
#29 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Love the daily blog portion - this is great!! (and I'm next - gulp!! )
#30 of 53 Old 08-10-2005, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjalo

Gotta love the keep-baby-busy-and-immobile ideas. Keep 'em coming.

(how old is baby again?)
28 months. It's a new thing for me. I only realized last week that I needed a plan of attack to keep everyone happy and occupied.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page