Overseas volunteering with kids! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2002, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings everyone,
I would like to travel to Asia with my nine year old daughter next year. I could teach English, but have some moral issues with that and would really like to live and work with people of another culture, and do any kind of volunteer work. Do any of you know of an organization where I could connect with this type of volunteering and would be open to having me bring my daughter? I would really like for her to have this type of enriching experience, and she is a really great age for this kind of exciting travel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! In peace, Sorrel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 12:36 PM

If you are the member of a church perhaps you can do missionary work and they would sponsor it? (??) I'm not sure what else would, but I can tell you that traveling to another country with a child would be a great experience. I met an American homeschooling family in India. They were there because the oldest daughter was in an exclusive Indian classical dance school, and the whole family moved there together. The two youngest homeschooled just fine,and picked up the local language and culture. The dad worked construction 6 mos. of the year and then joined the family in India in the off season.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 PM

Sorrel,

I am copying this to TAO to see if you get more responses.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:14 PM

We are fortunate enough to live in a foreign country and there are the locals just off base. We go pickk up the trash, visit the orphanage, etc. We baked cookies for Sugar festivall, etc. I second the trying a church to sponsor the trip. Also try the Untied Way, or antoher charity or its site and go from there. Best of luck to you!!
Susan

User Tag List