the Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 12-14-2002, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's pretty sad that I couldn't find any Canadian books at our library! but, I found this one, and am about to start reading it...anyone else read it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-14-2002, 09:32 PM

mamasoleil;
I have this book, and it was one of the very first ones I read. I thought it was very balanced, they tried very hard to be objective. If you can't find many books at your local library, try inter-library loan. They can find you things your local library lacks. Also, I find it very helpful to look up Amazon.com, and punch in homeschooling books. Not only can you see 'whats out there', but everyones personal reviews are really helpful.
Look for Linda Dobson's books, or "Homeschooling on a Shoestring". I liked Linda Dobson's books a lot.
Also, Ruth Beechic (spelling?) has some great information.
A great education can be had by ordering homeschool catalogs, reading what they have, and all the helpful tips. Try Timberdoodle, and also some great articles on their website.
Hope that gets you started, and is helpful!
Oh yes, 'Love to Learn' catalog is another favorite.
Call:1-888-771-1043 to get a catalog.
Timberedoodle:1-360-426-0672 for a catalog.
#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2002, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info! It's kind of frustrating, because there's lots of info in there, however, for the *wrong* country...I''m Canadian!!! so, ....anyway, Soleil is tired, must go parent!!

#4 of 7 Old 12-18-2002, 03:36 PM

I don't homeschool, but I am Canadian.

There isn't all that much out there that is specifically Canadian. I've been reading a lot of American books lately, though, using books from our local public library. What the library doesn't have they get within a couple of weeks on interlibrary loan. That lets me test out books before I buy. Some books suit me, regardless of where they are published.

Instead of books, you can try...

There are a lot of links through the web pages of Ontario Home Learners and the Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents. They have a lot of information about the legal and logistical aspects of homeschooling. As well, you can go to the Ministry of Education website to get information about the Ontario elementary school curriculum. Your local board of education may have a website and some information about the resources that you can use as a homeschooler. There is an e-letter for the Christian Home Educators' Network that is passed on to me by a friend. The Well-trained Mind website has a special discussion forum for Canadians. If you want any of these resources and you can't find them, get in touch with me and I'll pass them along.
#5 of 7 Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thank you so much!!!!
#6 of 7 Old 12-18-2002, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I personally love John Holt. Anything by him is great.
#7 of 7 Old 12-19-2002, 10:12 AM

Ditto on John Holt. I am in a place where everything he says is hitting a chord with me. My personal favorite is How Children Fail. For me it was one "Aha!" experience after another.

I also like The Homeschooling Answer Book especially if you are just starting out. I have a copy around in case anyone else has questions (grandparents, friends, etc.)

Just want to add that I am enjoying homeschooling so much more than I even thought I would. And I love the way my children are turning out!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page