Do most homeschoolers homeschool for religious reasons? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
religion has no impact on our reasons for HS.
#32 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
Honey come away with me....I know of several homeschool groups here who are NOT fundie!
Okay, I live in in SW WA, and I need to know about these non-fundie groups!
What/where are they?!

I am a Christian, but definitely not the rod-using, school-at-home type- and and I need to fit it somewhere too.

Or maybe there just isn't a group anywhere for HSing, AP Christians.
#33 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Faith, here is one: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wash/
Their description states "This is a list for Washington State secular home schoolers. That is, it's for all parents who have taken their children's education into their own hands regardless of methods or style.... all who do it for NON religious reasons are welcome to join in here.
Nothing is off topic here if it relates to life.
This is a place for folks to connect with others of like mind. All religions or nonreligious are welcome here but proselytizing and degrading another's beliefs, methods or styles will be grounds for banning."

They tolerate religion but don't espouse it, kwim?

I live in Gig Harbor so I don't really know any other group for the SW of the state.
#34 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon
I'm getting a little nervous that now in addition to many public schoolers thinking we are strange for hsing, we're also not going to be welcomed into many hs groups because of our (lack of) faith
but everywhere we've lived we eventually found other mellow homeschoolers to hang out with. You don't need a huge homeschooling group -- just a couple of other families with nice kids who want to get together sometimes.

We are in the minority (in my experience) but it doesn't really matter.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#35 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 07:24 PM

We are christian unschoolers.We belong to a secular group because of the judgemental attitude of the christian groups to unschoolers.
Weird,huh?
#36 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 PM

I can only speak for myself and the people I know. We are AP, but we are NOT homeschooling for religious reasons.
#37 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 PM

We do not homeschool for religious reasons. We are Christian. We homeschool. But it isn't the reason we homeschool. So, assuming all Christians who homeschool are doing it for religious reasons (a comment I'm reading repeatedly in this thread, as in comments to the effect of how many Christian groups are around) isn't really accurate.

Of course, I'll admit to being the one in the Christian groups who assumes that statements that we serve a sovereign G*d could be referring to any one of a number of deities and faiths (including the Flying Spaghetti Monster, now that I think of it).
#38 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 10:43 PM

I'd have to say that APing is rare here. There are 40+ homeschoolers here (that we know of) and three of them are AP (including us). Most of the homeschoolers here are ultra-Christian. We've even seen a father reach over 3 of his children to swat the youngest on the head in church.
#39 of 50 Old 09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Dar

When we lived in Tucson, we joined the "secular" group but it was more full of religious people than any other group we've been part of, before or since. We didn't do much with them. We were part of a completely secular group in Phoenix, back during the mid-nineties.

In California, we had no trouble finding secular homeschoolers, although there was an active contingent of religious homeschoolers everyowhere as well. There just wasn't a lot of mixing. When we started homeschooling in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda) area in 1998 there were 4 big groups, one of which was religious. In Kansas City, we've had no trouble finding secular groups, although I'm also aware of a lot of religious ones, too.

So... I think it's location, as well. It does seem that most large metropolitan areas will have both kinds of homeschoolers, but maybe a secular homeschooler would be out of luck in a small town in Mississippi... and I imagine a Christian homeschooler might be out of luck in Sebastopol, or Fort Bragg. Overall, in the US, I think that the majority of homeschoolers probably are doing it for religious reasons, but I think the percentage of secular homeschoolers is increasing rapidly.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#40 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it is about 50/50 for religous. and I think it is also about 50/50 for GD. and about 50/50 AP (I do not think that AP and GD always go hand and hand. I knwo plenty of people who AP in every way but still spank and use punitive/consequence driven discipline and plenty of people who are schedulers, totally mainstream with babies but GD.)

but I beling to an inclusive group. in the Christian group I think things are pretty homogonous. They manage to alinate anyone who isn;t one of them pretty fast. be it religious beliefs an practices, parenting, discipline, cirriculum choices, schooling style etc . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#41 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama
In my experience AP is rather rare among homeschoolers. A large portion of the hs population is religious but secular is increasing.
My personal experience is that most homeschoolers are alternative lifestyle types, i.e., hippies.

There has always been a small group of religious people who disapprove of public schools for one reason or another. The vast majority of homeschoolers that I have known are followers of HOLT, Summerville, Sudbury, and Waldorf, not religious people.

Then again, that is probably because I am trapped here in LALALAND, the land of fruits and nuts.
#42 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 01:17 AM

I think the official stats state that a slight majority of homeschooler do so for religious reasons (it used to be a huge majority) and that that is losing ground to those who homeschool for academic reasons.

In my corner of the world-northern Utah-95% of homeschoolers are Mormon which is hard for those who aren't but want to be involved in a homeschooling group. I believe Utah is unique in that way though-not many other places have 90% of the population being one specific religion.

Do you think that most UNschoolers are AP even if most HOMEschoolers are not?

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#43 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh
Do you think that most UNschoolers are AP even if most HOMEschoolers are not?
I think so, yes. All of the unschoolers I know personally - at least all of the ones who started when the kids wre young - did a lot of the things generally associated with attachment parenting. I think that attachment parenting gets people in a mindset of letting children develop at their own pace and trusting them to do what's right for them, and a natural extension of that is unschooling...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#44 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I think so, yes. All of the unschoolers I know personally - at least all of the ones who started when the kids wre young - did a lot of the things generally associated with attachment parenting. I think that attachment parenting gets people in a mindset of letting children develop at their own pace and trusting them to do what's right for them, and a natural extension of that is unschooling...
In a large group of unschoolers, which I've had the honor of witnessing and will again soon, you will find the the vast majority are AP -- they don't use that term because being attached to one another is inherent to the unschooling lifestyle. I saw kids who were soulfully intact: loved, honored, respected and listened to.
We are the minority, though... there's a great yahoo group for AP parents looking at unschooling: AlwaysUnschooled
The list was born at last year's Live and Learn Conference.

All that said, I've come to embrace the most unschooling-friendly religion: Unitarian Universalism. Being a principle-driven denomination, it matches perfectly our unschooling philosopy of principle-driven life. I was unschooling first, so it's not the reason we do, it's just what fits.

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#45 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahamommy
All that said, I've come to embrace the most unschooling-friendly religion: Unitarian Universalism. Being a principle-driven denomination, it matches perfectly our unschooling philosopy of principle-driven life. I was unschooling first, so it's not the reason we do, it's just what fits.
My daughter has also embraced the UU religion recently... at first I thought it was really mostly a social thing, because some of her friends were in the UU Youth Group, but lately she'd been talking more about some of the UU principles and how affect the way she's trying to live her life, so it's clearly more than just her friends.

Are you going to the conference in St. Louis? I'd love to meet you... and Rain wants to go...and it's really not far for us, only a bout 4 hours...but it would be so expensive for the hotel, and we'd also have to pay to board our two dogs... I wish it was a shorter confernece, really. But I'm still thinking.

dar

#46 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
My personal experience is that most homeschoolers are alternative lifestyle types, i.e., hippies...Then again, that is probably because I am trapped here in LALALAND, the land of fruits and nuts.

See, now THAT's where I need to live! :LOL I just asked a friend, "Where have all the hippies gone?" because we were discussing how many school-at-home v unschooling families we know.

We're not religious. I was really surprised how many religious hsers we found when we first started out, but I don't get the feeling that they are a majority--it's more like there are pockets of conservative christians within the hsing community. I'm sure it varies depending on where you live though.

We've only been hsing for 5 years, but even in that short a time, I've noticed changes. At first, there seemed to be two camps: the religious hsers and those who were hsing for the freedom of it (the alternative lifestyle people.) Now though, a third group has developed--the people who would send their kids to school except that they feel academics in school ain't what they used to be and they believe they can do better. This last group seems to be all school-at-home types.

All of the unschoolers I know are ap/gentle-type parents.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#47 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Are you going to the conference in St. Louis? I'd love to meet you... and Rain wants to go...and it's really not far for us, only a bout 4 hours...but it would be so expensive for the hotel, and we'd also have to pay to board our two dogs... I wish it was a shorter conference, really. But I'm still thinking.
I just sent in my check, in the normal, diana, flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants fashion We're probably stay at the Drury Inn, but hang out at the conference hotel/pool most of the time (I've every confidence there'll be a room there when I need it ) It's too close to you to say no! And I'd love to meet you, too! It was well worth every one of the 28 hours I drove to get to Boston last year (and the 3.5 days to get home), the 9.5 this year seems like a piece of cake! Next year is Albuquerque, a favorite city of ours
For anyone else interested, the conference is October 6-9 just outside of St. Louis (we almost had mutiny after only 2.5 days together last year, hence the extended schedule this year) Here's the website: Live and Learn

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#48 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
We've only been hsing for 5 years,
ONLY FIVE YEARS! That is dedication.

Congratulations.
#49 of 50 Old 09-16-2005, 07:18 PM

hahamommy:

I love your signature!
#50 of 50 Old 09-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Banned

I'd say the majority here are fundemetal Christians, but luckily there are several non Christains or liberal Christains around here. I'd say most of the Pagan HS'ers I know are AP and crunchy to at least some extent. Many are either unschooling or relaxed/child led etc. Certainly not the "classroom at home" types.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page