? for those who don't do TV - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-21-2002, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi -

We don't do TV at our house, although the kids usually do watch a couple videos from the library each week. I have my reasons for not wanting them to spend too much time in front of the tv or computer while they're still so young (7, 3, 2 yrs.) - but that's beside the point.

What I'm looking for is advice from other mamas who don't do much tv - What is a good alternative to plunking the kids down in front of a video when you just need a break, or really need to get something done? I don't mind the kids watching some videos each week, but not too much, and I hate doing it as a babysitting method. What are some good activities or whatever for when you need a chunk of time to yourself - something that totally occupies the kids without requiring much adult effort/participation?

Any thoughts?
-Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#2 of 10 Old 12-21-2002, 01:57 PM

I think it depends on your kids. Sometimes mine will set themselves up to draw or have an adventure in the backyard, and I try to use those times to get something done that I've been putting off. Sometimes just having something "new" for them helps keep them involved. You could make a puppet stage and puppets if they like that sort of thing, get a magnet kit, or marble maze.
#3 of 10 Old 12-21-2002, 02:36 PM

I pull out all the old sheets and clothes pins and tell them "It's fort building time!!!!!". It makes a big mess, but I get 30min to myself for a bubble bath.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 10 Old 12-22-2002, 04:07 PM

We do cd-roms a good bit. Educational ones; there are some fun ones like Math Blaster and Reading Blaster. Madeline Thinking games Deluxe has been good, too. Also, Reader Rabbit, Jumpstart (many titles) and a few Dr. Seuss. Jumpstart Artist is Dd's favorite. Unfortunately, the kids will fight over the computer, occasionally they'll work together. I can put one in a bubble bath and the other on a cd-rom, then switch.

My kids also like to draw, and cut snowflakes from folded paper, which can then be decorated with glitter glue. The mess is horrid, but usually worth it.

We watch more videos and dvds aroung here than I think we should, but I try to sneak in educational ones like Muzzy, although the Muzzy story lines are a bit creepy. My kids won't sit still for videos, unless they're really tired, though, and often they'd rather read books.

When they can stand to cooperate, they'll play a game like Twister or Chutes and Ladders. Ds hasn't got the hang of Connect 4, yet (he's 3) but dd loves it.

Sometimes they'll get out the train set and work on that a while-- it's a wooden generic Brio-type set that can be configured many different ways. Also, they'll spend a good bit of time with Legos.

None of this guarantees me time alone, of course, but sometimes I can get something done!

Love and Light,
Madame O
#5 of 10 Old 12-23-2002, 03:31 PM

We don't have a TV at all. What I do for space and private time is hand my 28 moth old off to my DH and I got for a walk or I kick them out of the house to do house work that Annabelle can't help me out with.

I try and involve Annabelle in everything. She's great at scrubbing floors and *loves* it. Sometimes I will just sit and totally devote myself to her for an hour or so. It seems to fill her up and then I can get a half hour away from her to do something.

We had a horrible down pour of rain for about two weeks here and Annabelle was bouncing off the walls. I did break down and let her see some DVDs on my computer but the moment the sun came out we got out of the house and went to the park.

I hope this helps!
#6 of 10 Old 12-23-2002, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Thanks for the suggestions - especially the forts - I hadn't thought of that one in a while! Actually, reading the responses made me realize just how good my kids are about entertaining themselves - they will read, draw, play together, all for hours on end at times on a daily basis without needing that much from me. I guess it's just that with cold, city weather here now, and the kids getting flu bugs and all that - they have been watching more videos than I'd like them to be and I was just hoping for some magical "thing": that is as riveting as watching a movie seems to be! Anyone else read "Endangered Minds"? I don't worry so much about my 7 yr. old watching a few flicks a week, but I just picture my 2 and 3 yr. old's brains getting rewired...

Anyway, thanks again - I will definitely be digging up some fort building materials, and bring the train set down out of the attic.
xox - Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#7 of 10 Old 12-24-2002, 12:17 AM

We used to live in Canada and winter was long and boring!!! Playdough is the best "babysitter" for my kids. They love to make a fresh batch and they will then play for over an HOUR!!! We have a storage box with all sorts of little playdough toys (rolling pins, cookie cutters, dishes, small animals, and straws cut into different sizes.

A huge bowl of dried beans (or rice or whatever) and some measuring cups is also great fun.

Another thing that helped my kids play on there on when they were younger was having a circle time with them. I know it sounds backwards, but in the winter in Canada I had circle time with them everyday (songs, finger plays, and a short fairy tale) and they would play much better on their own afterwards. It was like it gave them something to think about.

Here is a site with a lot of stuff to do with kids. There is a section on craft recipes for things like finger paint http://www.theideabox.com/

My kids also ask for the TV less when we play children's music.

I love all of Healy's work!!!! Your Child's Growing Mind was my favorite.
#8 of 10 Old 12-24-2002, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
kel

Thanks Linda! My kids love listening to childrens' music, too - I hadn't thought so much about that - I should regularly check more out from the library. The playdough and circle time are great ideas, too - thanks!! (Glad to find another Healy fan!) -Kelly

#9 of 10 Old 12-24-2002, 11:29 AM

Eli (2.5)is phasing out his naps, but I still need that time on my own. So, now he has a choice, he can take a nap or he can have an hour of quiet time. Quiet time means he can play quietly and read books in his room and ours. I nurse him and he settles down for atleast an hour.

This has been a really positive thing for the both of us. He loves it, and often plays independently for 2 hours happily- which doesn't happen as well when I am in the room. Hes a happier kid, and I still get that much needed break.

Don't know if this would work with more than one child. Best wishes to you,
jeanie
#10 of 10 Old 01-17-2003, 02:36 PM

Water play at the sink...I have saved some old tupperware , old measureing spoons, measuring cups, etc and they can stay occupied for at least an hour, then I mop the floor, or let them do it, depending on their moods (ds6 and ds 20months). Since I have a 20month old, he still naps and ds 6 has quiet time where he reads or naps or lays quietly.

Good luck getting a much needed break!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page