Two Year Old Expectations and Noggin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2005, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I the only mom with a lonely two year old who would rather visit his friends on "noggin" tv and .com than do much else? Lambast at will. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and don't have the energy I'm used too. We also just moved to an area where everyone ships their kids off to preschool and mothers day out. Alas, we left our friends behind and no one around here seems to be home. We want to home preschool. The TV is a battle.

Helpful ideas welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 PM

I have a 2 year old (TODAY) and a 5 week old so I know where you are coming from. My DD has never seen Noggin but she loves the Wiggles and Signing Time videos. If she ever starts to demand it then we don't watch it at all for a week. I will not fight with her over TV. I don't want it to become an issue so I really limit it and she forgets about it. We watch probably one show or video most days but I ask her if she wants to watch it when she is tired or I need a break. I don't let her demand it or it becimes a fight. Otherwise we get creative or go outside and find something to do. It was hard this summer being pregnant and living in Arizona but we always managed to find someway to stay away from the TV. Play in the sink, fingerpaint in the bathtub, take a long bath, read, dance, play puppets, pretend to have a picnic, build tents, puzzles, make lunch together, ect. Getting a step stool so she could help with everything I did really helped and then you don't have to hold and lift them. Good luck!

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:55 PM

ahhh, I've been in your shoes.

I'm from Atlanta originally and have had friends from LaGrange. My current location (TN) is similar to yours, but I've recently found lots of fun mamas who think along the same lines as myself.

Noggin was too easy for me when I was as far along as you are (my ds is now 9 weeks old) and I had to just get out of the house to keep dd from begging for TV. We're cutting it off now, it's not so hard since my energy has returned. I wish the TV had never been invented.

I'd recommend finding a hands-on museum or park that has safe places (though you'd have to go early in the day since it gets so hot in GA) so you don't have to chase your 2yo around so much. The local public library usually has story time at around 10 am (and it's air conditioned). Maybe you'll find that there are other SAHMs in your area - they'd be out at that time of day, too. It is so hard when you don't know anyone and everyone in your neighborhood with little children works... you feel so lonely! Don't worry too much about the TV, it isn't the ideal thing for your child to be doing but you'll be back to normal soon (though with a new baby, things are challenging)! There was a time when I'd have had trouble understanding letting your child watch TV, but now I've been there and for some of us it is really a workout just getting off the couch at your stage in pregnancy. If you're going to watch it, engage your dc in conversations about the characters and ask questions.

And I'm sure it's really HOT down there right now, I'd be sitting in front of the AC all day if I still lived there!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:11 PM

I'm glad I read your post because I've been through this recently. I have a three year old and a newborn (7 weeks.)

When I was at the end of my pg and when dd#2 was first born my dd#1 watched WAY too much tv. I just didn't have the energy to fight it.

Recently, however, it became a real problem. Dd#1 was throwing fits every time we turned it off. She is having a hard time with the new baby transition and the tv really exascerbated problems around the house.

So I recently decreed that there will be no tv before Evening. Evening can be as early as 5 pm (like when my dh is out of town and my half time babysitter calls in sick), but most days is around 6-7 pm.

This change has made a WORLD Of DIFFERENCE for us.

Here's the trick: When you have a second child, you start to care a lot less when the first throws a fit. I know it sounds cruel- but there it is. It becomes WAY easier to say "no" once you've got 2. Also, I've become way more confortable staying home and doing nothing with 2 kids. I don't feel the need to drive dd1 all over town to play. She plays just fine at home.

Also, turning the tv off forces you to spend more time with child #1- which is important once the new one comes. And, beleive it or not, kids do figure out how to entertain themselves once the tv is off for a while.

Home preschool is way easier if you just decide not to fight the tv for attention for a large portion of the day.

Oh- as for stuff to do- is there a Little Gym near you? They have tons of kids classes all day every day. You could do a class a day if you wanted (about $15 I think.) I've never done gymboree- but I hear they are good- they even have a month free membership I think.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:15 PM

One more thing- I haven't actually limited "amount", just limited tv to one time of day but I find dd is WAY less interested in tv just because there's a full 24 hours since the last time she saw it. Without any interventions from me, dd has chosed to only watch 1 hour or less per day of tv the last few days.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:20 PM

This too shall pass. My daughter watched way too much PBS kids when I was pregnant. It broke my heart. As a nanny I so didn't approve, but as a nanny I wasn't pregnant and I slept through the night and had mornings and weekends off. It makes a difference. For most of my pregnancy and about two months post-partum, she watched too much tv, ate too much convenience food and got away with too much of everything. On a positive note I think unlimited Sesame Street and Between the Lions are how she taught herself the alphabet at 20 months and was reading (simple phonetic words) just after her fourth birthday. I certainly didn't teach her those things. But here I am rendered only semi-ambulatory by a spider bite on my leg and the kids are watching Noggin. When I'm capable I limit TV to when they aren't allowed outside (too dark, too cold, too hot et cetera). When I'm convalescing it's a free for all. There's only so much story time we can do in a day and not much else I can do while elevating my leg and avoiding standing at all costs. To all things there is an ebb and a flow so I think you can make up for this as your energy permits. So no helpful ideas, but a whole lot of understanding.

Thanks,
Crystal
Old 10-03-2005, 04:30 PM

Here's what worked for us... Our TV is plugged into an oulet controlled by a light switch. When we don't want the TV on, dh or I turn the switch off. This is not something dd sees. She just knows the TV doesn't always work. She'll get up and say, "Is the TV working?" We'll tell her she can go try it and when it doesn't work, she turns around and says, "TV not working," and goes off to play. It has really made things easier because it takes the power strugle out of the picture. It's the TV that doesn't work, it's not mom and dad saying no. When I just need a break (I am also pregnant ), or when she hasn't watched for a while and asks to watch something, we'll make the TV work. Most times, she'll decide on her own to turn it off after a little while
Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughtfulness and understanding. One of these days I'm going to make a plan/declaration that I can live with. For now, it's argue, get over it, go do something else and then back to it. Although, without it, I couldn't chat online right now so it has its place. It would be better if it weren't here at all. Why is TV so easy. I do comfort myself in his huge vocabulary and extra knowledge about all kinds of things that we haven't learned together yet. Colors, numbers, words, logic. It's all in a Dora somewhere.

Oh, what will I do when he's a teenager? Maybe by then I'll live in the woods without access to TV. Haha.

Thanks ALL!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Easy for me to say, because my 4 year old can generally take or leave TV (we only have PBS with rabbit ears), but here's my take on it. Lay around with your kids and watch as much TV as the two you can stand. You're tired; your dd's neediness will increase in inverse proportion to your energy level. Have a tea party with the TV on if you feel like it. Lie around and snuggle each other and savor these last few weeks with just the two of you. Don't spend those precious last weeks battling over anything.

Try to do one really fun non-tv thing a day...a craft, a cooking activity, a game, blocks. Then add in a snuggly reading time. Then maybe a daily walk since you'll want to walk a bit to ready yourself for labor. Maybe plan little "surprises."

Gradually the tv might seem less important to dc, your relationship more important.

Hang in there. It was pretty tv-intensive for us until dd2 was around 3 months. Now, not so much interest. DD1 just has a lot of other things she want to get done in a day.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:38 PM

I think special exceptions have to be made when you are pregnant or just had a baby. Seriously. Just let it go for awhile. I'm not saying turn on the TV all day, but maybe get some educational videos from the library or a big stack of books to read to him. When I was on bedrest and Abi was 2.5 I used to do puzzles with her. I pulled the coffee table to the couch. We did a lot of TV, too, but that was okay because it was good programming and she learned a great deal. I remember the day when she recognized a word in a book that she learned on Blues Clues ABC.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List