Kind of irked... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 10-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks SOOOOOOOOO much for your recipe, will get the rest of the ingredients and make it, will let you know when i use it

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#32 of 51 Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 PM

hey! can i ask a question? i haven't been to a walmart in forever (wonder why? gack) but i keep trying to track washing soda down, & the places that used to have it no longer carry it. walmart was the last place i saw some. sooooo- would anyone brave enough to admit they still go to walmart, heck, brave enough to GO to walmart, let me know if they still carry it? i would rather not step foot into the place if i can avoid it.

ps GARDEN RIDGE? you still have a garden ridge? ours- our very busy, very successful store, went out of business, & i figured it had to be something corporate & they were all gone. you are telling me 'tisn't so?

now if i can just find the fels naphtha (got the borax <g>)

susan
#33 of 51 Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 PM

i was on a home schooling chat room(calvert homeschool) a couple of months ago- some one asked if anyone had found a way to make laundry school work,so they could make their kids help. well i wrote back with a ton of ideas on how one could acomplish this, one idea was to make your own laundry detergent-thats math and science right their! there ya go! i even said they could have the kids maybe add some different natural fragrences, and make their own boxes and try to market the soap to their mom, explaining why their soap is the best. or i said to study up on the enviromental affects of using commercial detergants. anyways out of all the people that wher talking about how great it would be if you could make laundry school work- only one person ever mentioned my post- and she said that the comment about making your own soap made her cringe- then laughed!! i was very annoyed! people just dont care! they think your stupid to try and make a differance- or that you have to much time on your hands!!- whatever- i still thought it was a cool idea.
#34 of 51 Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed arm&hammer and asked about their washing soda. They gave me a list of stores nearby that sold it )

I am having major difficulty finding fels naptha though...grrr! They say it is a dial product though. I'm still working on that one.

Garden Ridge is thriving here. There are only like 3 in the metroplex and we are lucky to have one here in Lewisville. I can spend months in that thing!

zrhmom, that is brilliant. I am thrilled that you brought that to my attention!!

That is exactly what my sister said though, "You must have too much time on your hands". Uh, yeah with two active kids, homeschooling them, 5 tarantulas, 1 bunny, a grown man who thinks the maid faery visits our house every night and an area of utter insanity called our house. Oh I've got LOADS of time.

See, like that other mom said, if YOU aren't super weird or your life super easy it would mean that THEY would either have something wrong with them or be at fault for not doing what they should.

As my lil' sis says....it's all good!
#35 of 51 Old 10-08-2005, 12:22 AM

Kroger sells it if you have one of those nearby.

HSMom- 3 beautiful boys that keep me on my toes ; wife to 1 wonderful man (who also keeps me on my toes) ; cat Mom; dog Mom; raising chickens, rabbits & doing whatever God leads me to do
#36 of 51 Old 10-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Wynken - The grocery stores by me have the Fels Naptha in the regular body soap aisle, not the laundry aisle. Hope that helps.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#37 of 51 Old 10-08-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrhmom
i was on a home schooling chat room(calvert homeschool) a couple of months ago- some one asked if anyone had found a way to make laundry school work,so they could make their kids help. well i wrote back with a ton of ideas on how one could acomplish this, one idea was to make your own laundry detergent-thats math and science right their! there ya go! i even said they could have the kids maybe add some different natural fragrences, and make their own boxes and try to market the soap to their mom, explaining why their soap is the best. or i said to study up on the enviromental affects of using commercial detergants. anyways out of all the people that wher talking about how great it would be if you could make laundry school work- only one person ever mentioned my post- and she said that the comment about making your own soap made her cringe- then laughed!! i was very annoyed! people just dont care! they think your stupid to try and make a differance- or that you have to much time on your hands!!- whatever- i still thought it was a cool idea.
: OOOO! I LOVE this idea!

You could even have them do a test to see which would clean better-commercial det or homemade? or have them figure out total cost to make and how much they would need to charge to make a profit?

At what point would you add fragrance? We have essential oils, would that work?

I feel a big 'ol laundry unit coming on
#38 of 51 Old 10-08-2005, 12:52 PM

You'll need approx 8T EO to a gallon of detergent.

HSMom- 3 beautiful boys that keep me on my toes ; wife to 1 wonderful man (who also keeps me on my toes) ; cat Mom; dog Mom; raising chickens, rabbits & doing whatever God leads me to do
#39 of 51 Old 10-08-2005, 07:13 PM

susan, the only place i've seen it locally is at my local harris teeters which is the closest thing we have here that does a lot of organics and earth friendly stuff. I just have to make sure i have enough on my list to condone the gas usage to get to it. *sigh*

I've not seen it at Wal-Mart ever.

#40 of 51 Old 10-08-2005, 09:13 PM

gosh, i was sure my kroger's stopped carrying it. maybe they were just out (it was one of the places i used to get it.) harris teeter's- a bit of a drive but it's fun to get to that part of town once in awhile (besides, you get to bump butts with amy grant if you shop there- lol, if you want to run into vince gill it's krispy kreme. and if you want pam tillis it's the purple onion, lol.)

fels naphtha in the grocery? heavens. i need to look harder.

ps it is kind of nice to be in both worlds. i can BUY soap, or i can make it. i can BUY beer, or i can brew it. honing a skill like that tends to make some people nervous, that can't imagine doing something not because they 'have' to. i try to think of them as people that have not yet been convinced it's easy & fun!

susan
#41 of 51 Old 10-10-2005, 05:54 PM

Citymomx3 Thanks again for the laundry soap recipe. I made it and it came out like thick set jelly...is that how it should be? I did use it today and it seemed to work great. I used it on the back door rugs (and it's been raining if that tells you how bad they needed it :LOL) and they came out original color no stains and smelling CLEAN!! So far I'm liking it...oh and it was easy peasy to make to boot...now to figure out how to store it.

#42 of 51 Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis

Where you or I may assume that this is true, (I can't actually save so much as a seal in the Arctic or a fish in the Amazon from my comfy suburban home) we may go further and think "but together we can make a difference." Perhaps this is the break in the logic between "them and us."

She was very rude to make that commentand to laugh at you, but hey; It was Wally World.
Yep and that is why I don't shop there but that is neither here nor there.

Desmond Tutu said, "Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."

I applaud everyone for doing their "little bit" whatever it may be.

Stephany
#43 of 51 Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Yes, the detergent will come out like think egg drop soup. I make mine direct into gallon jusg and shake it up each time I use it. Her recipe is similar to the one I use! I generally put 1/4 c each washing soda and borak into the jug and add anough HOT water to dissolve, melt my soap (1/4 cup grated zote, fels or kirk's or Ivory)) with water on simmer (takes about 1/2 hour), funnel that in and then boil water in the same pan (gets all the extra goo out and keep the soap dissolved better) til half full and then add the rest just hot tap water.

#44 of 51 Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2radata
Yep and that is why I don't shop there but that is neither here nor there.

Desmond Tutu said, "Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."

I applaud everyone for doing their "little bit" whatever it may be.
Another reason not to shop there. Everything is cheap junk. 3 out 5 things you buy there needs returned because it doesn't work.
#45 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 AM

Sounds right to me. I stored mine in a 5-gallon bucket with a lid (the Costco Kirkland powder detergent bucket). It's a good idea to stir it a little before each use. I'm glad it's working for you. I LOVE the neutral *clean* smell. I can tell you it really saved us money making our own stuff.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#46 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 12:42 AM

I first read this thread when there were three posts. Then I came back and there were three pages! Thanks to all for a lively discussion. It is such a treat!
#47 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Good to know that I did it right :LOL I prefer the no perfume clean fresh smell too so this is perfect for our family. I also liked how soft my towels came out as well. I don't use fab. softeners/sheets and rarely add vinegar to rinse (just another step to have to remember), so this impressed me. This will save us TONS of money!

#48 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynkenblynken&nod
Lol! That's ok Lillian. Honestly? Because I think that ground beef feels gross : I know I know, I gotta get over it. One step at a time, though :LOL
Isn't that what seven year olds are for? Get some cafeteria-worker gloves and set your ds to work. Your other kids might be old enough to not stick things in their mouths too. Nothing like eating something "I made myself!"
#49 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

LMAO Sapphire_Chan! This might work, but I think that my 4 year old, as tiny as she is, would be more suited to it. My son has a thing with getting dirty or being around things he thinks are dirty. If it squishes, it must be bad :LOL My daughter, on the other hand, has caught live flies (at one year, and she's started trying to do this again) and has tried to eat them. She's a little sometimes but that's ok, we just pull the nice little flies OUT of her mouth and let them fly on for the rest of their day. My son and daughter had a fight not too long ago because he was wiping off the table and Veronica had picked something off of the floor (let me explain, this wasn't something she dropped...er....or perhaps it was, but not recently...she was just walking along and OOO THAT sure looks delicious! YUM!) and put it in her mouth. I had vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle for him to clean the table with so when he saw that he spritzed her face and said EWW and then stuck his finger (washcloth covered) into her mouth WITH the vinegar water on it and curled it around to "clean" out her mouth. She was yelling "EW EW EW EW" and pushed her brother backwards into a box. OY life is never dull.

Perhaps I can supervise Veronica making the patties and Joseph could clean up afterwards.

And my family wonders why I wake up at night and say things like "Don't eat the rabbit's fur" or "PLEASE don't leave lollipops (half eaten, might I add) folded in with the laundry." It is NOT nice to wake up and get dressed to have a friend tell you there is a lollipop dried to your back. *sigh* I could write a book, you know. They are gonna have to fit me for my future straight jacket. I need room in the collar to breathe.
#50 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM

I have a couple recipes for natural bug repellent:

20 drops Eucalyptus oil
20 drops Cedarwood oil
10 drops Tea Tree oil
10 drops Geranium oil
2 oz. carrier oil ( such as Jojoba )
Mix together in a 4 oz. container. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye area. Keep out of reach of children. Test on a small area of skin for sensitivities

my favorite is lemon eucalyptus e/o in a watery lotion base. It works really well and smells so yummy.
#51 of 51 Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM

use the A&H washing soda and the borax in HE machines ( we have them)
and I really need to use the powders for several reasons
Can I just mix the two of them for a detergent?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page