Kind of irked... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to Walmart. Yeah, I admit. They have hamburger patties in the largest bunch and it is so much easier to cook the amount of patties that you need rather than separate them. They cook much better and I'm still mad that two of the other stores I've been to lately gave me meat with bright red meat on the outside and brown....almost black meat on the inside. YUCK! I didn't pay $3 a pound for that!

So anyway, I was asking one of the ladies in the craft department (actually, the cloth area) if she knew if they had liquid castille soap or glycerine soap so I can make my own laundry detergent. She said that no, they stopped selling that 2 years ago (never sold the castille) and that they can't order something they don't already sell.

So, then she asked what it was for and I told her. I said it is a lot better for you and for the environment. She spoke at the same time and said it is probably better for you. Then she heard the "environment" part and said "better for the environment? Yeah, good LUCK!" To which I went and she said what really irked me "That doesn't work". What doesn't work? Doing things to make our world a better place? Trying to protect our environment? I don't get it!

My kids were there for this and looked to me in astonishment at this. I just stood there working my jaw. As much as I've been here, I didn't have a damn thing to say back to her. I just couldn't imagine her view point. She laughed at me and I turned and said "thanks" and walked away.

I am going to abundant life in a minute to find the soap, but I'm still irked. Perhaps I should add some camomille to my soap. :LOL

Olivia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's probably just better to keep the explanations shorter. "It's for me. I enjoy making it". I can't stand it when people feel the need to disagree when their opinion wasn't even asked. I get that lately with homeschooling. :

I used to make detergent, too. I LOVED it. I used Fels Naptha soap that I grated and boiled in a large pot with water (then added a bit of washing soda and borax to it). It had the color and consistency of snot, but it was excellent detergent and lasted a long time :LOL . Can I have your recipe?

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
#3 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 08:42 PM

you can say " if more people did it it would work just fine!"
#4 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 09:45 PM

I had almost the exact same conversation with an employee once, but it was about cloth diapers (she was telling me what a great price there were on Pampers since I didn't have any in the cart). She finished the conversation by saying basically who cares about the earth, Jesus is coming soon so it won't matter and we might as well make our lives easier in the meantime. :

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Jennie, no kidding! That is exactly what I was thinking but I couldn't put it into words, I was just so amazed at her attitude, like I'm so dumb for trying to be a responsible consumer. Some people are just weird.

citymomx, lol!! I was just going to ask your recipe! : I found the castille soap at the abundant life but they weren't exactly helpful.

Now I need to find washing soda, soap flakes or fels naptha (can I just say that this name reminds me of fletchers castoria ), pine EO, lemon EO, lavender EO, camamile EO and thyme EO...then a cute mold for our soaps (I'm thinking sun/moon shapes or if I can find the star I'll use that...or even the ohm), and last but not least, some spray bottles and jars for my cleaning concoctions. *side note: I really do feel like a mad scientist* :LOL

I'm on my way. Oh, a funny story about the bar soap. I had no idea what I was looking for so I ended up with some kind of bar soap (found in the laundry section) called Zote soap. I need to look it up now because I don't believe it is what I need. I'm such a goof sometimes.

Too much sugar I think

Thanks ladies, you rock for your help!

Liv
#6 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
I had almost the exact same conversation with an employee once, but it was about cloth diapers (she was telling me what a great price there were on Pampers since I didn't have any in the cart). She finished the conversation by saying basically who cares about the earth, Jesus is coming soon so it won't matter and we might as well make our lives easier in the meantime. :
:ignore

All of those in that order explain very well how that made me feel. GRRR!
#7 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM

I think she just has the impression, like many do, that what you put down the drain just sort of disappears into oblivion somewhere...not into the environment. Poor thing probably went to school :LOL - no offense meant to anyone here who has kids in school...

But about the hamburger, this may be a dumb question (and none of my business to boot), but why not just get a couple of pounds of reliable hamburger, make little balls, flatten them out, stick waxed paper between them, and wrap them up. That would not only make sure of better quality, but would allow for mixing in different herbs, minced onion, catsup, Worstershire sauce, or whatever..so they'd be that much yummier when you use them... The kids might even find it fun to help... A friend of mine has one day a month that everyone joins in to make meals to freeze - spaghetti, soups, stews, etc. - so that they have more free time the rest of the time. But I don't mean to sound like Martha Stewart here ... Lillian
#8 of 51 Old 10-03-2005, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Lol! That's ok Lillian. Honestly? Because I think that ground beef feels gross : I know I know, I gotta get over it. One step at a time, though :LOL

I'm becoming crunchier every day! At first it started with no guns (that was my personal policy before all this) toys, then it was making my own scented pot o' stuffs to leave on the back burner on low. I stopped buying cheap candles that aren't good to breathe. Then I decided to stop buying those expensive shaving gels with lots of bad things in them, and started buying baby oil in bulk and adding my own EO's and herbs/infusions to it. Then I decided to take my son out of his HORRIBLE school and now I hs at home and spend tons less gas and don't buy nearly as much crap. My son saves on paper because he doesn't answer the same questions every day on paperwork that is 1/2 a page per question. We started giving away our old cleaners this month. I'm moving one out at a time. Buying a spray bottle and making my own enviro-friendly version. Then giving the leftovers to the advocacy and pregnancy center to help women who are abused get away from their ex's.

Then I got rid of all of those evil plastic grocery bags for my WONDERFUL straw bag with cloth lining AND a pocket. This week, as of Wednesday (when it rains) and the weather is below 90, we are not going to use the AC at all. I figure that has to help. I'm slowly but surely becoming crunchier, BUT, for you, Lillian, I will try to make my own patties

With lots of crunchy love, :LOL

Liv
#9 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 AM

but wasn't Jesus like one of the original conservationists???
#10 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 01:10 AM

Hmmm. I don't know. But I really can't imagine Jesus being very wasteful.

And eeeww. Wal Mart hamburger patties. Eeeeeeewww. Sorry. I've just had too many of those darn things at all the family summer barbeques. Last time I had one, I got sick to my stomach.

hang.gif  

#11 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynkenblynken&nod
Lol! That's ok Lillian. Honestly? Because I think that ground beef feels gross : I know I know, I gotta get over it. One step at a time, though :LOL
Me too! Get one of those hamburger pattie maker thingies from tupperware (or a cheap knock off). Very little touching involved

Quote:
I'm becoming crunchier every day!
I too am slowly crunchifying :LOL First I got rabid on the subject of pesticides (including DEET much to the annoyance of my parents), then I stopped using teflon, then I started *gasp* recycling! I think my Dad is convinced that pretty soon I'll be wearing a tinfoil hat and muttering to myself about gamma rays Poor guy can't understand why I don't fog my yard and spray the kids with Deep Wood Off My mom never did understand why I would WANT to use cloth diapers, she though pampers were the best invention of all time!
#12 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Zote is what I use for my L. Det. It works GREAT!

HSMom- 3 beautiful boys that keep me on my toes ; wife to 1 wonderful man (who also keeps me on my toes) ; cat Mom; dog Mom; raising chickens, rabbits & doing whatever God leads me to do
#13 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Then I got rid of all of those evil plastic grocery bags for my WONDERFUL straw bag with cloth lining AND a pocket.
Did you make these or buy them or what? This is something I've been thinking about but haven't figured out what to do.

I also want to make a big pile of cloth napkins and stop using the paper ones, but I'm fuzzy on how to do that, too.

Do you have a favorite book or web site on mad scientist cleaning products??

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#14 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I guess we've just gotten used to the walmart burgers. But as gross as they are, they are nothing to the black core Texas T lump of "hamburger" meat. I thought I'd see maggots or something.

We got a burger patty thingy (I'm just feeling SOOO adult today, aren't I?) but I can't get it to actually come OUT of the little mold thing. It just kind of sits there. VERY frustrating :

3momkmb, tell me all you can about envirofriendly anti skeeto solutions. I have been looking and haven't found anything yet. I have tried peppermint but my kids and I were still lunch.

This is and probably not crunchy, but I had some Vicks rub and heard it works wonders on bug bites. I ended up rubbing some on my son because he is allergic to ants and gets pretty big bites. They went away the next day. I think I can make a homeade mix with camphor in it that does the same thing, though.

Don't worry though, I got my mainstream card taken away yesterday. I tried to explain washing your face with oils (there is a post in here somewhere about that...great results), washing your hair with apple cider vinegar and some EO's, making your own dish detergent (smells SOOOOOO fab, looks SOOOOO disgusting), making your own little soaps and laundry detergent. BOY! She acted like I've joined a cult or something. It was obviously my goal to weird her out through all of this. :LOL

Also, when I had my kids, I was REALLY nieve and just listened to whatever Parenting magazine told me. There was articles about how HARD it was to cloth diaper and breast feed and that they were optimal but not really that much better. So what did I do? Not look into it. I didn't read up about it. Like an idiot, I just did it. (sposies and formugoop) I used a stroller and tried to "ferberize" ds and all that crap. By the time Veronica got here, I was done with that but we had to go to a parenting class and this lady told us all about how we need to ferberize (and perhaps Ezzo??) to where the baby would sleep when we say, eat when we say and poop when we say. YUCK! We just kept these dumb smiles on our faces which made it obvious we thought they were full of crap. We joke that instead of ferberizing Veronica, she Veronicaized us :LOL

Yes, I'm dealing with Bryan's mom about hs'ing now. About how HORRIBLE I am and all that codswallop. *sigh* I say, ya know, you got to mess up YOUR kids and live YOUR life....these are MY kids and MY life.

But I'm not trying to be difficult or anything. I just am.

Leeper, does it smell better when it is in the laundry? Because the bar made me want to hurl. I think that I might give it away if it smells like this.

Linda, Garden Ridge for all of that. I go during sale days and get all of my cloth kitchen stuff for $1 or $2. I paid $10 for my straw bag but it is so great and so beautiful and it makes me feel so good when I use it.

<3

Liv
#15 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citymomx3
It's probably just better to keep the explanations shorter. "It's for me. I enjoy making it". I can't stand it when people feel the need to disagree when their opinion wasn't even asked. I get that lately with homeschooling. :

I used to make detergent, too. I LOVED it. I used Fels Naptha soap that I grated and boiled in a large pot with water (then added a bit of washing soda and borax to it). It had the color and consistency of snot, but it was excellent detergent and lasted a long time :LOL . Can I have your recipe?
can i have yours? :LOL i have 4 bars of fels-naptha that need to be used instead of looking at me with that knowing glare, "stop procrastinating already and use me up" :LOL

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#16 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
3momkmb, tell me all you can about envirofriendly anti skeeto solutions. I have been looking and haven't found anything yet. I have tried peppermint but my kids and I were still lunch.
I think the trick is to use a combination of smells. I actually buy a commercial blend that has tea tree, lavender, peppermint, lemon, bay and some others. I find lemongrass and eucalyptus to be particularly effective. I actually did a comparison between the DEET repellent and the herbal stuff once and the herbal stuff worked better. As for the yard, we get rid of any and all standing water (except the bird bath which we empty daily) and light citronella candles.

Quote:
Also, when I had my kids, I was REALLY nieve and just listened to whatever Parenting magazine told me. There was articles about how HARD it was to cloth diaper and breast feed and that they were optimal but not really that much better. So what did I do? Not look into it. I didn't read up about it. Like an idiot, I just did it. (sposies and formugoop) I used a stroller and tried to "ferberize" ds and all that crap.
Yeah, I did that too I did try and bf with my first, but once we had trouble I stopped trying We ferberized her at 9m too : Oh well! Live and learn! I know better now!
#17 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move
Did you make these or buy them or what? This is something I've been thinking about but haven't figured out what to do.

I also want to make a big pile of cloth napkins and stop using the paper ones, but I'm fuzzy on how to do that, too.

Do you have a favorite book or web site on mad scientist cleaning products??
if you can sew you can make your own knapkins. i have a "roll hemed" foot for my surger and my sewing machine...both work great for knapkins. make them the size you like and whallah! I love cloth table accesories!

#18 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Reeseccup, I have to find my recipe. Dh usually made the monthly batch for us and I'm sure he'll remember. I'll get back here with it soon.

Angela

DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
#19 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

3momkmb and Citymomx3, I you!
#20 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citymomx3
Reeseccup, I have to find my recipe. Dh usually made the monthly batch for us and I'm sure he'll remember. I'll get back here with it soon.
Thanks a bunch

#21 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
3momkmb and Citymomx3, I you!
Back at 'ya!
#22 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 PM

The zote smells as l. det. but does NOT leave a smell on your clothes. It's pretty much unscented! I love scent tho so I add a 1/2 shot of Downy to my rinse.

HSMom- 3 beautiful boys that keep me on my toes ; wife to 1 wonderful man (who also keeps me on my toes) ; cat Mom; dog Mom; raising chickens, rabbits & doing whatever God leads me to do
#23 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
So, then she asked what it was for and I told her. I said it is a lot better for you and for the environment. She spoke at the same time and said it is probably better for you. Then she heard the "environment" part and said "better for the environment? Yeah, good LUCK!" To which I went and she said what really irked me "That doesn't work". What doesn't work? Doing things to make our world a better place? Trying to protect our environment? I don't get it!
Olivia
My father is a raging Southern Republican and he finally (I am 34 and just moved across country) FINALLY explained what he means by this kind of comment.

He feels that it is absolute ego on our parts to think that we, in the singular, can do something to save something so overwhelming and everpresent as the environment. He feels the same way about social causes, and used the "Free Tibet" stickers on college kid's cars as an example.

Where you or I may assume that this is true, (I can't actually save so much as a seal in the Arctic or a fish in the Amazon from my comfy suburban home) we may go further and think "but together we can make a difference." Perhaps this is the break in the logic between "them and us."

She was very rude to make that commentand to laugh at you, but hey; It was Wally World.
#24 of 51 Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 PM

I haven't tried this yet, myself, but I know people who swear by vitamin B as a way to become one of those people that mosquitos ignore while they mob others. One woman I know used to be mosquito food before she started taking vitamin B, and now she thinks nothing of going into the Amazon area. I keep hearing this. Worth a try - especially now, with the new mosquito-borne diseases to be concerned about. Lillian
#25 of 51 Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 AM

I've heard keeping a Bounce dryer sheet on your person works too. They say it HAS TO BE a BOUNCE sheet tho!

#26 of 51 Old 10-06-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperfrawg
I've heard keeping a Bounce dryer sheet on your person works too. They say it HAS TO BE a BOUNCE sheet tho!
Be sure it doesn't touch the skin, though - even putting on clothes that have been dried in a dryer with it and cause a rash on some people (I'm one of those). - Lillian
#27 of 51 Old 10-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
My father is a raging Southern Republican and he finally (I am 34 and just moved across country) FINALLY explained what he means by this kind of comment.

He feels that it is absolute ego on our parts to think that we, in the singular, can do something to save something so overwhelming and everpresent as the environment.
Every little bit DOES matter and help. (One quarter isn't much money- but how about a whole dumptruck full of quarters??)
Beyond that, it is wrong to waste or damage things. It's not ownership- it's stewardship.
#28 of 51 Old 10-06-2005, 10:04 PM

GOT IT!

Ok, here's the recipe I used:

3 Pints Water
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha Soap, Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Gallon Bucket
1 Quart Hot Water
Hot Water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

I used the whole bar of soap and more water at the beginning and the end and I used a 5-gallon bucket. It has no real smell to it, but it just makes your clothes smell CLEAN. It was great for the cloth diapers (all kinds - prefolds, aios, fuzzibunz, etc). I had great pride in that detergent (lol) and I may start making it again. Good luck and let me know how you like it.

Angela

#29 of 51 Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J
I haven't tried this yet, myself, but I know people who swear by vitamin B as a way to become one of those people that mosquitos ignore while they mob others. One woman I know used to be mosquito food before she started taking vitamin B, and now she thinks nothing of going into the Amazon area. I keep hearing this. Worth a try - especially now, with the new mosquito-borne diseases to be concerned about. Lillian

Actually my homopath suggested DD take Vit. B when she saw that she was totally covered in bites.
#30 of 51 Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

put into them. I want to keep rereading them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page