100 easy lessons - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-14-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we use teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons-great program!
#2 of 9 Old 10-14-2005, 01:07 PM

We started to use that and got to around chapter 25. SKyler started to really hate it. We started to use Teach Your Child To Read Using the Book of Mormon. She seems to be getting this one a little bit better.

She is 6 BTW.
#3 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 05:48 PM

We are using this is ds, 6 yr old. We love it.

Kasey
#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 05:51 PM

My DD is 3 1/2. She's asking to learn to read and is doing some other reading learning activities successfully (I define that as meaning she's having fun and continues to ask to do them, and I think she's picking up some skill, too). Is she too young for this book? Is it more geared to 5 and 6 yo kids, or (assuming she's still interested) would it be okay for her?
#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2005, 06:05 PM

If your dd is showing an interest...go for it! Mydd started using the book when she was 3 1/2. We did it because her older brother was using it. She would pick it up and make the letter sounds. I didn't do handwriting with her and only did it with her as long as she was interested in doing it. Somedays she would be interested for 15 minutes and others 2 minutes. We haven't done anything with it for awhile( my laziness!) and she is over 4 now. She can read some words on her own and she is writing words all the time and asking how to spell words. At such a young age I would not push anything but the book does say that some ready 3 year olds do just fine with it.

Both my boys learned to read from 100 Easy Lessons and they LOVED it!

momof3sweeties
#6 of 9 Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 AM

We have tried doing it, at least 20 times. Part of the problem is that it makes me feel like this and my ds gets bored with it easily and just wants to get it over with. I dont know what my hang up is with it, but I have heard that it works well for most people.
#7 of 9 Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM

We started using this at 3.5, she is 4.5 now. We got half-way through and she just took off like a bolt of lightning and hasn't stopped reading, so we don't need the book anymore.... not a bad book though, but don't put too much stock in it. After a while it was kinda like pulling teeth, just not that fun. But the approach is productive I just don't think you need to use the whole book. Let the kids use it if they will but don't expect to finish. We have moved on to funner reading things like www.StarFall.com, which is interactive and loads of fun, plus they have awesome little songs for easy ways memorize rules... Like "The silent E at the end of a word, Makes the A say AAAAA" (to the tune Mary had a little lamb)

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#8 of 9 Old 10-17-2005, 03:08 PM

We used this book when dd expessed interest in learning to read around age 4. We got to about lesson 40 and dd didn't really enjoy it anymore.
Dd is 5 now and reading pretty well on her own.
She also enjoys the starfall web site.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 9 Old 10-18-2005, 08:18 AM

We used this when ds was 4 1/2. I couldn't stand the way it was scripted so I just taught him the sounds and had him read the stuff in bold print. We really liked it and he is a great reader. We didn't bother writing as we went along but used something else(HWT) when he was a little older.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page