Classical Moms...watcha up to? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am patiently waiting for my copies of SOTW to arrive. I think my mailman is getting annoyed with me asking if I have any packages today.

Other than that we are doing some Singapore math and I'm thinking about switching ds' math program when we have finished the other Singapore books we have.
#32 of 48 Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I just hit "submit" on our order for R.E.A.L. Science Level 1.
I wish you lived by me, we are having such a good time with this.

We didn't order the package either, just the book (and extra pages). I do think a clipboard is necessary, but most of the labs are easy to find supplies and library books for.
#33 of 48 Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Any suggestions for baby bio?
I've got More Mudpies to Magnets; it has a lot of neat ideas for simple science experiments for younger kids. My 7 year old is a bit bored with it now, but the 2 and 3 year olds like it. And I have a wonderful book I picked up a long time ago that is very Waldorf-y that I've found to be an invaluable resource. It's called Earth Child: Games, Stories, Activities, Experiements and Ideas about Living Lightly on Planet Earth by K. Sheehan and M. Waidner. Tons of fun, unschooling types of ideas for young kids, has lit suggestions to hunt down, and great Earth friendly suggestions. You could easily use it with multiple ages as well. HTH!
#34 of 48 Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I liked the idea of Five in a Row; if I could find something like that that wasn't Christian, I'd probably try to get myself a copy.
Have you tried Story Stretchers by Shirley Raines? I liked it more than FIAR since we are secular homeschoolers. I enjoyed it and am thinking of going back to it for the rest of my son's preschool time while I piece together something for his K/1 year.
#35 of 48 Old 11-08-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid
Have you tried Story Stretchers by Shirley Raines? I liked it more than FIAR since we are secular homeschoolers. I enjoyed it and am thinking of going back to it for the rest of my son's preschool time while I piece together something for his K/1 year.
You know, I've never seen that book but another book I have called "Everything for Fall" has several Story Stretchers in it... I'll have to look that one up, too.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#36 of 48 Old 11-08-2005, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You know, I've never seen that book but another book I have called "Everything for Fall" has several Story Stretchers in it... I'll have to look that one up, too.

We love the "Everything for..." series. I wish there was one for summer but, since it's intended for a traditional school year...
#37 of 48 Old 12-17-2005, 05:11 AM

It's been a while... what's new?

BeanBean is absolutely *loving* FLL, and wants to discuss nouns and recite "The Caterpillar" to everyone he encounters. I'm not going to use the second poem, and I'm thinking of substituting "Invitation" by Shel Silverstien, which is much less... irritating. He's working through EarlyBird 2B (thanks, Marie!) which overlaps a lot with Primary Math 1A, and has been asking me for "homework" lately, by which he means MCP Phonics and Spelling Workout (which his cousin used last year). I'm debating between MCP Phonics K (because his writing skills aren't that great) or MCP Phonics 1 (which is probably closer to his level). Right now, I'm leaning towards K because he loves writing but definately needs some practice in that area, and because I don't think he'll be bored with it at this stage.

We haven't done any biology experiments for a few weeks now because the weather has been crappy but we have done some reading about the human body (following his interests: poop and uterii ). The swimming class I signed him up for ended on Weds, and I'm trying to scrounge some cash together to register him for the next session (I may ask one of his grandparents if they'd be willing to help with it, he loved it so much!) but other than that there's been nothing in the way of PE, thanks once again to the crappy weather. Nothing says "STAY INSIDE!" like freezing rain! I've also been slacking off in a big way when it comes to art and music, which really depresses me; I've been missing my piano sooooo much. Art just isn't my thing... I can think of fun activities, and even bring myself to do them with the kids, but when it comes to learning about art I'm at a loss. Should I look for a book about drawing with children or something? Maybe concentrate on examining classic works of art, or various artistic styles? How would I go about that, anyway? :

While BeanBean still loves airplanes dearly, he no longer seems completely obsessed with them and that's a bit of a relief to me. Right now, he's all about classifying people (and things), bodily functions, birth, and reading (he's getting there ). I'm planning to start SotW with him next week, though I'm not holding my breath (he may not be ready for this yet, even though he's been asking for "more work!"), and I'm going to start doing Torah Studies with him.

Reading over this post, it sounds like we're really busy... like I must spend several hours working with BeanBean every day. In reality, it doesn't add up to all that much time. If BeanBean wakes up at 8 am, we can have all of this stuff finished before 10:30 (more like noon if he wants to take a bath in the morning). Pretty crazy, huh? So what are you ladies doing?

#38 of 48 Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 AM

We're reading a lot. Thanks to Dr. Seuss ds can now sight-read the word 'Mississippi'.

I just got 'Prince Caspian' by CS Lewis as an audio book.

We're doing the Earlybird Singapore maths whenever ds feels like it.

Our science project right now is growing crystals.

Ds is really into cooking and baking right now so we do that together a lot.

We're doing French with Muzzy. We're also focussing more on German by reading German books and watching films in German. (Ds is bi-lingual in German and English.)

Music... ds loves Vivaldi. We listen to the Four Seasons A LOT by his request.

Art... ds loves water colours. Gluing and sticking collages is also a big hit.

He's started to learn a few flags (UK, Australia, Germany, USA) and we're reading about different cultures/ countries. I just got a few books from a library sale that talk about children in different countries, their different customs etc.
#39 of 48 Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_grace
I just got 'Prince Caspian' by CS Lewis as an audio book.
Unabridged?!? What version is it? I haven't been able to find *any* of the Narnia books unabridged at the library or in the library's database...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_grace
Music... ds loves Vivaldi. We listen to the Four Seasons A LOT by his request.
We played The Four Seasons just about every night while I was pregnant with BeanBean (and actually for several months before) and when he was born he totally recognized it. He still gets excited when he hears it! I'm still kicking myself for not borrowing The Planets (Holst) from the library while we had a working cd-burner. :doh I think the kids would absolutely *adore* that music, it's just their speed.

#40 of 48 Old 12-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Unabridged?!? What version is it? I haven't been able to find *any* of the Narnia books unabridged at the library or in the library's database...
It's a BBC Audiobook. It's a dramatised version, with orchestration. I'm not sure if it's abridged or not, it's 3 hrs 20 min long. I was just excited to see a CS Lewis audiobook, so I grabbed it. They have others in the same series, if I like this one, I'll get the rest too.

Quote:
We played The Four Seasons just about every night while I was pregnant with BeanBean (and actually for several months before) and when he was born he totally recognized it. He still gets excited when he hears it! I'm still kicking myself for not borrowing The Planets (Holst) from the library while we had a working cd-burner. :doh I think the kids would absolutely *adore* that music, it's just their speed.
That's so sweet. Ds' 'womb tune' was Mozart. He still loves it.
#41 of 48 Old 12-17-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
My local library doesn't have the unbridged version that I've seen, but when I was at Borders last night, they had unabridged The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ($28), and I think the boxed set ($75) was unabridged as well. I don't remember which, if any, of the other ones they had on CD or if they were abridged or not.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#42 of 48 Old 12-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
My local library doesn't have the unbridged version that I've seen, but when I was at Borders last night, they had unabridged The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ($28), and I think the boxed set ($75) was unabridged as well. I don't remember which, if any, of the other ones they had on CD or if they were abridged or not.
Yeah, I never buy those things they're *sooo* expensive!

#43 of 48 Old 12-18-2005, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I never buy those things they're *sooo* expensive!
It depends on which ones. Some, like Narnia & Harry Potter, I know my son would listen to over and over. He's checked out Harry Potter from the library multiple times, limited only by the fact that sometimes other people have them out. He's got the Narnia radio dramas on CD, and listened to those until he had them practically memorized. They're not in our budget right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them if we had the money.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#44 of 48 Old 12-18-2005, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
It depends on which ones. Some, like Narnia & Harry Potter, I know my son would listen to over and over. He's checked out Harry Potter from the library multiple times, limited only by the fact that sometimes other people have them out. He's got the Narnia radio dramas on CD, and listened to those until he had them practically memorized. They're not in our budget right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them if we had the money.
Oh, don't get me wrong, if I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate to purchase all kinds of audiobooks... but I don't, so I don't even look through them unless they're on a clearance rack somewhere. I did get several audiobooks last year at one of those "Fill-A-Bag" booksales. None of them were kid's books, and only two of them are likely to be listened to more than once (Shadow of the Giant and The Crystal City by Orson Scott Card), but they were there and practically free! I mean, fill a bag with anything under the pavillion for $5, how could I possibly have let those go?!

#45 of 48 Old 12-18-2005, 02:35 PM

We are not hard and fast classical hsers, but we are currently listening to Catherine, Called Birdy on tape while we knit. It's by Karen Cushman, and is about a young noble British girl in the middle ages. We've done Matilda Bone and The Midwife's Apprentice as well. All borrowed through inter-library loan.

We also had a movie marathon of fiction set in this period. After my 13 yr old had oral surgery recently, we set up camp in my bed with Princess Bride, Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner one- and we roared together when Costner, a Christian returned from the Crusades, asked whether he had wronged someone in a 'former life'. Yeah, reincarnation was a major Christian belief. lol I am so glad she got it), & Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Would Susan Wise Bauer pull her hair out over this curriculum?

Bwahahahahaha.
#46 of 48 Old 12-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Well, lemme see...

As part of our Ancient Greece study right now, we're reading Rosemary Sutcliffe's Black Ships Before Troy and are going to be watching a video of Oedipus Rex this week sometime.

Your kids are young, but my 13 (then 12) yr old daughter and I watched the Katherin Hepburn Women of Troy movie after we read it, and my god, what a powerful movie. It's 'slow' for younger kids, but for tender young teens, it shows what war did to these women.

When you get further along, do not miss Sutcliffe's book The Bronze Bow (Ancient Romans in Jerusalem in the time of Jesus). Wonderful, imo.
#47 of 48 Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Just thought I'd revive this thread. What's new?

#48 of 48 Old 01-13-2006, 10:50 AM

I've been reading about Latin Classical Ed, including the first 3 chapters of Mungo's how-to book. I've been thinking about Multum non Multa (not many things, but much) quite a bit. I've also been reading about Marva Collins. And Waldorf. Weird combo.

I decided to add in Minimus Latin, except that someone bought all the cheap, used copies on Amazon in the 3 days from the time I started thinking about it until I was ready to buy. Some other people must be reading the same stuff I am. I also got a book on teaching English grammar through Latin.

I have actually found most of our curriculum (we moved this past fall). So we can start French for younger dd, as she requested.

We have fought the war of 1812. We are discussing Simon Bolivar, and about to start learning about the Cry of Dolores in SOTW.

For math I've been throwing Singapore at older dd, as well as issues of Gnarly math. I'd like to get back to doing Challenge Math, but that's something we have to work through together, and I haven't had time lately (today the plumber's coming, tomorrow a carpenter, etc. etc.).

We've been doing Tuesday Teatimes as per Bravewriter.

And I've obviously developed a passion for including links in my posts, but that's another topic....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page