Classical Moms...watcha up to? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-17-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious!

We're doing some Ancient China stuff right now and having fun with folk stories and nursery poems (memorizing a couple in conjunction with a few at the start of "First Language Lessons").

We're also talking about our favorite nons and verbs, and talking about floods (prompted by discussions of Nile/Yangtze river flooding, as well as floods in the news lately) - how they hurt, how they can be beneficial, why they happen, etc.

So what are you up to?
#2 of 48 Old 10-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Right now we're getting used to having a newborn in the house. :LOL My plan is to get back into the groove next week.

In History we're ready for Japan and Australia (I can't remember what chapter of sotw2 we're doing next).

In Science we'll be studying Weather for a few weeks then the Solar System.
#3 of 48 Old 10-18-2005, 02:58 PM

Well, we just finished Chrisopher Columbus and are now working on John Smith in our history book. Math, we have covered up to the 3 tables and fractions. We are doing the Heifer Int program with our reading so today we made beautiful pictures of San Martin Alto, Eucador. We are starting biomes of the world, ummm, and are finishing up a plant experiment. My thought was to start a bravenet page for them so they could display their work. Started it now am lost as to the rest of the process. But I digress--Oh cursive practice and grammar --subject/predicate, nouns verbs proneous (lots of MAD LIBS LOL!!). That is the last couple days--

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#4 of 48 Old 10-18-2005, 10:45 PM

In history we are studying ancient india (lots of tales from arabian nights) and the early hebrews- a subject I am having a hard time wrapping my head around as an athiest, I just keep telling myself that we can look at it the same way we looked at egyptian gods and beliefs, "this is what happened and this is what some people believe."

In science we are doing anatomy, the circulatory system right now, digestive next.

My 6 year old has started reading early reader/picture books and wants to all the time. My 4 year old would like to but I am having a hard time having fun with it when I can tell that those squiggles on the page don't mean a thing to him. I wish he wasn't so interested in it yet, because it is going to be a frustrating road for him right now.

The 6 year old is doing adding, again the 4 year old is very interested, but he has a much easier time with numbers.

We try to do some recorder, Hot Cross Buns right now, and hopefully starting on a holiday song soon.
#5 of 48 Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm going to poke my head in and say "hi!"

My babes are only 2 yo and 11 weeks old, so we're not 'studying' anything yet... but we plan to hs classically!

nak
wow. i just noticed that i'm the 3rd poster in a row with a dc named Miles!
#6 of 48 Old 10-20-2005, 12:13 AM

In history we are studying Egypt and working on our chicken mummy.

In science we are talking about gasses and reactions so today we made rockets and blasted them off with baking soda and vinegar, the kids had so much fun doing this.

Everyone in the house is a reader at this point even my almost 5 year old which makes life so much easier! My oldest is working on a report on Abraham Lincoln for writing.

We use Saxon for math, Rod and Staff for grammar, and Power Glide for Spanish.
#7 of 48 Old 10-21-2005, 11:26 PM

We did the chicken mummy too!!! Right now, we're on the Minoans and Dark Ages of Greece. I'm trying to get ahold of the last two books in Mary Pope Osborne's retelling of The Odyssey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEMom

In science we are talking about gasses and reactions so today we made rockets and blasted them off with baking soda and vinegar, the kids had so much fun doing this.

Everyone in the house is a reader at this point even my almost 5 year old which makes life so much easier! My oldest is working on a report on Abraham Lincoln for writing.

We use Saxon for math, Rod and Staff for grammar, and Power Glide for Spanish.
#8 of 48 Old 10-22-2005, 03:47 AM

We're doing classical kindergarten-- learning to read, mostly, though I'd like to start some very basic math work in the next few months (budget permitting). I'm very fond of Saxon, but the Saxon K program just feels very wrong for BeanBean. Any thoughts?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 48 Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I'm very fond of Saxon, but the Saxon K program just feels very wrong for BeanBean. Any thoughts?
I felt the same way. I can totally get why people are into Saxon for higher grades but for K it just felt to be a little much to me.

We went with Singapore Earlybird for this past year and were very pleased with it (we ordered the version available from singaporemath.com). It's nicely illustrated, has exercises and examples easily adapted for home use and was not overly repetitive. In the cases where my son wanted or needed to go more on a given subject I just made up some games or a worksheet or something.

We may well switch to Saxon in a year or so but right now we're finishing up Singapore Earlybird 2B and are about to start Primary 1A. I think it's a nice start to the subject for younger kids.
#10 of 48 Old 10-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Kim

Quote:
Charles Baudelaire and JGEMom:
Quick question-- Where did you get the idea for a chicken mummy? Is this part of the WTM curriculum? Other?
#11 of 48 Old 10-22-2005, 03:51 PM

More classical moms! Cool!

We're in SOTW 2 and just finished the Franks and Islam. We're having a Moorish dinner with friends from our hsing group next Weds. - any suggestions for good music to listen to? For science we're doing astronomy because ds kept asking, "When will we do astronomy?" whenever I brought out the earth science, so I just switched semesters. Miquon for math, Spelling Workout C, English for the Thoughtful Child, and Prima Latina round us out. I love hearing what other hsers do for history projects.
#12 of 48 Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
We're doing classical kindergarten-- learning to read, mostly, though I'd like to start some very basic math work in the next few months (budget permitting). I'm very fond of Saxon, but the Saxon K program just feels very wrong for BeanBean. Any thoughts?
We slogged our way through Saxon 1 last year and it was a bitch -- verrrrryyyyyy boooooorrrrrinnnng. The repetition was overkill. Since we've begun doing Miquon Math, it's gotten much better, as has Lou's math comprehension, especially since they introduce addition, subtraction, multiplication and division right in the first book. In book 2, it cycles back to addition (only in a more complex way). You can therefore do the program in spiral fashion or pursue one topic through all the books. The use of Cuisenaire rods has helped my daughter understand quantity, place value, and relative difference among numbers better than anything else. In short, I like it.
#13 of 48 Old 10-23-2005, 09:50 PM

#14 of 48 Old 10-25-2005, 01:48 PM

Any good curricullum links??? I am still searching for what I want to use next year. This year is the ecclectic approach! Thank God for the net and free worksheets. We are using Abeka for history and Science with alot of addin from me. I just got a couple books from ebay and did not buy the whole kit. Needless to say I want to get the most for my money......

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#15 of 48 Old 10-25-2005, 02:09 PM

We are working on the early 1900s using SOTW4 for world history and History of the US for US history concurrently. We're really just skimming through the world history for this period and focusing more on US history until we get to WWI. I have some supplemental activity books we use for projects, and we read a lot of biographies, historical fiction, and period literature. I seem to get stuck on all the supplemental reading cuz it's all so good, so we're now planning (2) 5 year cycles. I figure I'll let the kids choose an area in which to specialize, complete an internship, or take community college classes/CLEP during the last 2 years of their schooling. I'll have both of the olders start with outlining and timelining when we start ancients over.

For science we are finishing up a chemistry unit and then plan to start biology over again. Real Science 4 Kids has been a great chemistry program, the experiments have been fun and informative, and I think the kids have learned a lot. I have organized a group of friends who we will do a dissection unit with later this winter, and I ordered the kits last week.

Jacob is about to finish Singapore 6, and we're moving on to Jacob's Algebra (haha- it's a pun). We're also about to finish Latin Primer 1 and move on to 2. Aside from that, we're just plugging away with the other subjects.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#16 of 48 Old 10-25-2005, 03:47 PM

We are unpacking moving boxes. I think the chicken mummy is in one of them. I dearly wanted to bury it in the yard of the house we just moved out of -- something for the new owners to discover and contemplate. I'm sure the packers wondered about it; they definitely wondered about all of the books and math manipulatives.

BTW, wrapping the linen bandages around the chicken takes FOREVER...I can't imagine doing an entire human body that way, focusing on the dead person for hours and hours at a time. What did those priests think about while they did it?

When we actually do some schooling these days 10yo works on Latina Christiana and some Singapore Math. Other than that, we work on learning our new address, phone number, etc.
#17 of 48 Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 PM

It's been a while since anyone posted here (we're on the second page!); what's up?

We've been doing a lot of reading about airplanes lately. This week, BeanBean's favorite plane is the B-29. I was also wondering-- at what reading level do you think it would be reasonable to introduce First Language Lessons? BeanBean absolutely adores that book (I did it with my niece last year) and has been clamoring for "The Butterfly Book" (which is what he calls it) this week. The thing is, I'm not convinced that he's reading well enough for it yet; he's really not past the cvc stage right now, you know? He can memorize and recite no problem, but I really think that he ought to be a stronger reader before we start. Am I wrong?

BeanBean is very eager to "do homeschool!" and keeps telling people about it in stores. I've also got to hurry up and find him a math book... I think I'll be making a trip to the nearest homeschool supply store tomorrow to pick something up for him.

#18 of 48 Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 PM

Well, lemme see...

As part of our Ancient Greece study right now, we're reading Rosemary Sutcliffe's Black Ships Before Troy and are going to be watching a video of Oedipus Rex this week sometime.

We're also working on the Real Science 4 Kids book in chemistry and beginning to do stuff with cursive, which Lou really likes (but also finds infinitely frustrating).

She's learning Spanish, so we've been reviewing basic verb conjugations today and simple phrases and stuff. Finally, we're trading off reading C.S. Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Anyone know anything about the Narnia movie scheduled for Christmas?
#19 of 48 Old 11-01-2005, 11:51 PM

Eilonwy, couldn't you do First lang Lessons until you get bogged down by reading issues, then maybe mark time with some grammar games, other poems to memorize, etc.? I considered it as more of customizable program, so I tended to combine lessons, leave things out, add other stuff in, and generally fit it to our situation.

CB, my kids got such a kick out of RS4K chemistry. When we started they had zero interest in the subject, but dd declared it the most fun we've had with science so far.

We are still in the throes of school slugdom (a drainage pipe broke in the finished basement of our new house, so all the unpacking had to come to a screeching halt while we dealt with that...on a Friday night, of course, so we had to consider weekend plumbing rates vs. lack of water in half of the house). We finally stormed the Bastille today, so I need to find some version of The Scarlet Pimpernel and/or Tale of Two Cities for a read aloud. Alas, no library card yet, but at least I figured out where the library is.
#20 of 48 Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Gwen
Eilonwy, couldn't you do First lang Lessons until you get bogged down by reading issues, then maybe mark time with some grammar games, other poems to memorize, etc.? I considered it as more of customizable program, so I tended to combine lessons, leave things out, add other stuff in, and generally fit it to our situation.
Yeah, I thought of that. I guess I'm still feeling really strange about formally teaching BeanBean (to say nothing of his sister) at this age. I'm 100% in favor of classical education, but also want to follow my son's lead, and every time he asks to do something new which strikes me as a little... excessive, or heavy on the actual schoolwork, an alarm bell goes off in my head and I want to just put the brakes on. Then I feel really guilty about not following his lead, and do what he wants until something else comes up. *sigh* I should totally know better, having worked all this out in my head years before I ever had children, but actually dealing with it in real life feels totally different. Anyway, I'm having issues-- I want to challenge him but not push, I want to follow his lead but I don't want him to be "working" all the time... but what if working is what makes him really happy? I could go on and on, but I'm not sure if this is even the right thread for it.

#21 of 48 Old 11-02-2005, 06:55 PM

Right now we're stufying Ancient Japan (SotW2) and will be making a Japanese dinner tonight.

We are studying adjective endings in Latin (Minimus).

For science we plan to make "edible glass" (with sugar). None of the science stuff in WTM interested my kids so we use "Barron's Science Wizardry".
#22 of 48 Old 11-02-2005, 08:21 PM

I haven't been to these boards in ages. It was nice to find this thread.

Quote:
As part of our Ancient Greece study right now, we're reading Rosemary Sutcliffe's Black Ships Before Troy
We read this last year. Rosemary Sutcliffe is such a good writer. Right now I'm reading her King Arthur novel, Sword at Sunset.

As for what we're doing, Ds is doing Saxon Math for second grade, and DD is doing Saxon 54, but we're speeding through it because it's a bit easy and I think we'll be ready for Saxon 65 by February.

We're studying medieval history and dd is reading a book about Alfred the Great and also The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli which tells the story of a boy living in a monastery during the time of the Black Plague.

We're doing astronomy for science and ds really loves it.
#23 of 48 Old 11-02-2005, 10:22 PM

I went to the homeschool store today and flipped through Miquon and Singapore, and decided on Primary Math 1A & B (they were second hand and super cheap!). They're very colorful, visually stimulating and BeanBean totally needs that right now. Shockingly, his sister climbed into my lap and counted right along with us, and just now she pointed to the 8 of hearts on my solitaire screen and said, "eight!" before sticking her thumb back into her mouth. *shudder* I guess BooBah will do some classical kindergarten this year, too.

#24 of 48 Old 11-02-2005, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I went to the homeschool store today and flipped through Miquon and Singapore, and decided on Primary Math 1A & B (they were second hand and super cheap!). They're very colorful, visually stimulating and BeanBean totally needs that right now. Shockingly, his sister climbed into my lap and counted right along with us, and just now she pointed to the 8 of hearts on my solitaire screen and said, "eight!" before sticking her thumb back into her mouth. *shudder* I guess BooBah will do some classical kindergarten this year, too.

Oh I'm so jealous!!!! These are exactly the books I need to get for the Boy Wonder but....well, the money, you know. It's always the money.

I can't believe you have a homeschooling store. I'm actually getting MORE jealous.
#25 of 48 Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 PM

I've decided that BeanBean and I can start FLL next week, assuming that he can sit still for another ten minutes or so at a time. I really love the whole "whenever scheduling" that you can do while you're homeschooling. No time wasted standing in line, especially with things which can be (must be) done exclusively orally. It's brilliant. Ten minutes here, another five there, maybe twenty later on... I know that as he gets older and in to more advanced work it'll be bigger blocks of time, but for now things are very mellow. We're working on BeanBean time, and it's a totally different animal from the time the rest of us use. I could sing the praises of homeschooling all day!

A few questions, though: did the rest of you do kindergarten? The Well-Trained Mind, for example, doesn't actually have a kindergarten curriculum. The classical program technically begins at first grade, and they suggest that you work on reading and basic math skills for K (which is what we're doing) as well as some other basic life skills. Did anyone else do a more formal kindergarten program? Did you use a particular curriculum, or did you just patch something together based on your child's skills and abilities? (Note: I'm not asking about age levels as much as grade levels-- I keep the two entirely separate in my head, which is very helpful when the children you're teaching to read are 3 years and 16 months old. )

#26 of 48 Old 11-06-2005, 06:42 PM

We did "kindergarten" in a loose sense (well, loose if you're a classical hser; structured if you're an unschooler! lol). Timo wanted to learn to read, so we did TYCTR in 100 Easy Lessons (he zipped through the first 25 or so in a few weeks because he was excited), zipped through Saxon K (boring) in 2 months, and used the initial A Reason for Handwriting book to introduce letters. That took all of about 30 mins. each day. The rest of our homeschooling was unit study that he initiated and reading, reading, reading. He got interested in robots - we studied robots. He got interested in whales - we studied whales. Whatever he wanted to read up on, we read up on, and did projects and crafts and talked about.

When my two little ones get older, however, I may look into something like Five in a Row. They are only 19 months apart, and Meg isn't very "bookish" but Lillie is, so they may end up doing a lot of the same things at the same time, I suspect. I'll have to play it by ear. And it would be easier on me, at least initially, to be able to do the work for both of them at the same time. I am looking forward to seeing how we'll work things out when we get to that point.
#27 of 48 Old 11-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiegs
When my two little ones get older, however, I may look into something like Five in a Row. They are only 19 months apart, and Meg isn't very "bookish" but Lillie is, so they may end up doing a lot of the same things at the same time, I suspect. I'll have to play it by ear. And it would be easier on me, at least initially, to be able to do the work for both of them at the same time. I am looking forward to seeing how we'll work things out when we get to that point.
Mine are also 19 months apart. I was totally not planning on them doing things together, but it looks like they will be for a little while at least.

I liked the idea of Five in a Row; if I could find something like that that wasn't Christian, I'd probably try to get myself a copy.

#28 of 48 Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I liked the idea of Five in a Row; if I could find something like that that wasn't Christian, I'd probably try to get myself a copy.
There is a book called Peak with Books, that is similar to FIAR but is not Christian (i don't think anyway). You can use FIAR without being Christian, I think the FIAR bible stories is sold seperately from the reg FIAR volumes.
#29 of 48 Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I just hit "submit" on our order for R.E.A.L. Science Level 1.

I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! It's just the base book - I would have loved the whole package, but at this moment I'll take what we can get.

The Boy Wonder is hopping up and down as I type this chanting "REAL......SCI....ENCE.....REAL.....SCI....ENCE... ". I guess you could say he's psyched, too!
#30 of 48 Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamax3
There is a book called Peak with Books, that is similar to FIAR but is not Christian (i don't think anyway). You can use FIAR without being Christian, I think the FIAR bible stories is sold seperately from the reg FIAR volumes.
The questions and activities are all designed from a Christian perspective. It's very difficult to explain this without having the book in front of me and going into philosophy and ethics and morals and stuff, but it's definately a Christian book. I've never heard of Peak with Books, though, I'll have to look that up.

I'm considering finding a biology book for BeanBean, and right now I'm mentally debating the merits of using a book vs. cobbling together experiments on our own. It'll probably end up being a little bit of both, knowing us. Any suggestions for baby bio?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page