What are all the unschoolers doing today? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far, this morning, we have built a big imaginary landscape with a Thomas & a Brio trainset and a road, watched a bit of a BBC documentary on underwater life (whales, dolphins etc.) on DVD and done some puzzles on the computer. We've recited nursery rhymes together (by memory) and played counting games with our fingers. DS also spelled out the word T-O-K-I-O on a t-shirt I was wearing for bed this morning.

He's having his afternoon nap right now. We'll go in the garden and play some ball games when he wakes up - it's lovely & sunny right now.
#32 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 11:26 AM

My youngest woke up about 10 minutes ago. My 13 yr old has worked on Neopets.com, made smoothies, is 'doing math' by figuring out how many days and hours until she can get a different Neopet. I have no idea what that means. No idea at all.

My sister is coming over for lunch and then we are going on a hayride, picking pumpkins and doing a corn maze at a local farm.

We also plan a library run to get movies for the weekend, and my youngest ds has a soccer game at 3:30 we're going to.
#33 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM

we are going on a boat ride up the cumberland. the kids are v excited!

susan
#34 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 01:45 PM

May I join in? I realized that I'm more of an unschooler except I hate to admit it my 4 yr old dd who should be in JK in a school is in a pre-school which really is a school readiness programme. : Anyway she never wants to go and hasn't for the past two weeks so I think the unschooling way is the way to go for us.
Sorry for the long preamble.

Today, we read books in the morning. Made heart shaped pb&j sandwiches for lunch. Played with barbies. Listened to music and danced. Fixed my torn jeans with tape. When I am finished checking my email , we are going to take a trip on the bus and streetcar today to buy ruby slippers for her Dorothy from Wizard of Oz costume.
#35 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Today I slept a lot I thought it was allergies but now I think I'm actually sick. Again It was raining so we didn't go to the playground playdate that was planned and I took a nice long nap instead (dh is home for the day).

Ok, to back up, dh woke us up to drive him to his eye doctor appointment. We thought he was getting his eyes dilated but it turned out he wasn't so we got out of bed at 9:30 (yes, in the am!) for nothing. We dropped him off and then the kids wanted to explore the office complex so we did. They started hunting shapes. I tell you it was right out of Sesame Street or something, :LOL 7 and 3 y/o running around saying "a rectangle! I found a rectangle!" over and over and over. There were. A lot. Of rectangles.

We got home and realized the rain wasn't letting up so we weren't going to the playdate So we went to Target to get dh some sweat pants and pick out a birthday present for a friend for next week. We got home and that's when I conked out so I have no idea what the kids did for that time.

I had a dream about a ham sandwich for some reason so sent dh out to get the makings for one. Kids and I played Carmen Sadiego USA jr. game. We played it "right" for about 5 minutes and then Bridget wanted to just run all over the map. She told me one of the pieces was her penpal Georgia and asked me where she lived on the map (the penpal who hasn't written her back in over a year by the way - uh hun? Uh . . . nevermind). I told her Georgia lives in Australia so it's not on this map. She said ok, she'd put Georgia in Georgia then :LOL Then she asked where her cousins lived and I pointed out Calif. Then she put a piece on Colorado and I told her that two of her friends used to live there. She said oh, so they aren't Americans? :LOL I explained (again) the concept of states and she said ok, so they aren't New Jersyans and I wasn't sure how to answer that one . She asked where another penpal lived and when I told her she was in NJ with us, she said she'd pretend she lived elsewhere and put her playing piece in Missouri, :LOL

Bridget is back on Zoo Tycoon. The girl is obsessed! She hasn't played the game in months (a year???) and now she's been on it for days. Weird.

Owen asked to watch a Gymboree video and I realized that was the first time in 3 days the tv had been on. Weird! Usually they watch videos every day but they haven't asked lately.

Now Robert is working out downstairs and, after dumping out a bin of toys on the computer room floor, Owen wants to "do an experiment". Why does he always ask at night when I'm tired? Not like it's bedtime or anything, but can't he ask at, say, noon or something? You know, when I'm vaguely like something resembling "perky"? Ok, in the time I took to type this last paragraph, he turned on his construction computer game, :LOL Ah, three year olds. What an attention span!

I hemmed a pair of Robert's pants today and then started to do some curtains and messed up (measure TWICE cut ONCE ). I came here to de-stress after realizing I had screwed up. I can fix it but I'm a bit brain dead and didn't feel like thinking it through

Ok, off to clean up the sewing stuff in the front room, possibly do some volcanoes with the 3 y/o and get bedtime snacks going.
#36 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Today I slept a lot I thought it was allergies but now I think I'm actually sick.
I hope you feel better tomorrow. It's the time of year to get sick, I think.

Your description of the map/states conversation cracked me up. It's incredible to me that many adults don't realize that some states are part of our country (the United States). I read a great piece during the Salt Lake City Olympics about a guy living in New Mexico who tried to call and order tickets, and the customer service rep wouldn't sell him any because they were only shipping to US addresses at that point... and he tried to explain that New Mexico was part of the US, and she just wasn't buying it.

We have a game called State to State that we picked up at a thrift store when Rain was 4 or 5. The board is a map, and the play involves getting two "state" cards and then trying to build a path of state cards that connects them. I honestly thought it was sort of weak, as a game, but it was one of Rain's favorites for 2 or 3 years. Maybe map fascination is a stage?

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#37 of 49 Old 10-21-2005, 11:18 PM

My kids were stuck on "Snapshots Across America" for a while--another map game. The 5 yr old keeps talking about all the many visits we've made to California--which is funny because the kids and I have never been. He keep confusing California with Pennsylvania. (Because, of course, they are sooo similar! :LOL )

My kids slept in this a.m. The older two were up really late last night (actually, that would have been this morning) Ds was listening to LOTR on audiobook and dd was learning html code. So I spent time on the computer this morning while they slept. Then we all took ds2 to gymnastics, the older two read, ds1 played his Gameboy, and we went to park day where we DIDN'T see Shannon. (Missed you, hon! Hope you feel better soon.) The kids climbed trees, played YuGiOh and Magic and football and ds2 played on the playground equipment and chalked up the sidewalks. Closing games included ds1 running into a fence with his face. (He's okay, no permanent damage.) Then on the way home we stopped into the bird store and brought home a companion for dd's bird. We'd planned on going to the library, but ran out of time--that's now on tomorrow's list. We ended up ordering out for pizza, watched a little tv, played with the birds and dog (separately.) I read a "Bailey's School Kids" book to ds2 and he just fell asleep. We just shared the ghost video from tao with dh (hee hee) and we've sent it to a bunch of unsuspecting folks. Dd and Ds are now BOTH waiting in line for the computer, so that's the Reader's Digest version of today.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#38 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Aw bummer. Sorry Joan, it was raining here. I mean, I guess it's good I didn't go anyway and I felt much better after my nap, but we can't make Monday (dentist - part II) and can't make next friday (Halloween Party) so I wish we had gone today.

If map fascination is a stage then I never grew out of it :LOL I've had maps up as decorations as long as I can remember (long before having kids). So you might come into the house and think "oh look, the school-at-homers must be studying geography" but nope, it's just mom's idea of decor I've seen a few more state games and one world map game that I want. They're supposed to be kids games but I want them for *me*. I'm not sure who else will play them with me though. That's a problem a lot here actually. All these really cool games we have and no one wants to play nearly as often as I do. Pout! At least I have the computer to play scrabble against or I'd really whine.

So we finished the day with some experiments. First the regular old baking soda and vinegar but then Owen wanted to add corn starch, and then just corn starch and vinegar and then pepper and salt and various combinations of all of the above. The day ended on a bit of a sad note when Bridget didn't want to play a game with Owen. She found a toy catalog and wanted to look at that instead of playing with him. Poor little dude just fell apart because his sister wouldn't play with him He's asleep on my lap now (as usual).

Bridget just saw a chore sticker chart in the catalog and thinks it would be a cool idea. That kid has some weird ideas sometimes

And despite my hours long nap (ah luxury) I am falling asleep here. I might actually toddle off to bed before midnight tonight

OMG Joan, the ghost in the commercial video? Scared the you know what out of me. I had headphones on too. Just don't send it to any potential heart attack victims, :LOL
#39 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 AM

I love maps too which is funny because I never actually remember where anything is on them. I'm terrible with the states... I'm sure they must have been drilled into me at some point but it sure never stuck.

I really want an upside-down map. http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
#40 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Dar

We used to have two great maps, a US one and a world one... and I didn't laminate them and they got ragged and torn and we threw them away I'm looking for cheap new ones... for now, we google a lot and use the globe, but it's not really big enough.

And I love to see other world maps, too... I have an anthropology text with a bunch of them, but that's a good site to bookmark, too.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#41 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 06:07 AM

Last night, my husband and I were supposed to go out on a date but there was a mix up with the sitter (she's coming tonight instead). Our plans were to go out to a restaurant for dinner and then head to a DVD rental store, set up a membership and rent some new movies. At first, when we found out the sitter wasn't coming, all three of us were grumpy and trying to figure out what to do and just grumping about our evenings being "messed up."

Then I asked Sophia if she was up for getting bundled up and going out to the DVD store with us. She said yes! So we all walked up to the store. It's a neat new store! You check out movies electronically on TV panels set up in two rooms of the store. Then you just go to the counter and they pull up your account and see what you rented. You can also use the TV panels to watch trailers of movies. There is one that is at a child's height so we watched trailers while my husband filled out the paperwork for the membership.

Before we were about to leave, we recognized the owner of a Mexican restaurant (he bought our old microwave and that's how we met him!). As we were leaving, we were discussing what to do about dinner. And decided we'd go to our acquaintance's restaurant! LOL Good thing we bumped into him! As we were walking there, we got a bit worried that, since it was a Friday night, it would be packed with drinkers and rowdy expats. But it was still early for that and we got a table easily. There were actually two other families there.

S tried something new to eat, drew "surprise pictures" of Pokemons and talked with us about the movies she rented. ("Surprise pictures" are when she draws a portion of a Pokemon and we have to guess which Pokemon it is) We got home and watched one movie she rented, took a shower together cuz our hair smelled like cigarettes from the restaurant, then snuggled in our bed to start the other movie (my husband said he'd compromise and "let" her sleep with us LOL)). We all got too tired to focus and she asked to turn out the light and pause the movie til tomorrow (today LOL).

So we were all really glad the sitter didn't come. S doesn't usually like going out at night, especially when it's cold. We had a great walk, talking about how we couldn't see the stars well cuz we were in the city. Also, she is always surprised that other people are out and about in the evening. LOL I was glad she tried something new at the restaurant and liked it. So now we have yet another place we can go as a family.

We slept late this morning. Our plans for today are to work more on decorations for our Halloween party, finish the movie from last night, play Pokemon card game, and maybe bake something. And the sitter comes around dinnertime.
#42 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 09:27 AM

I LOVE this thread.

Yesterday, the kids did art in the morning. I cut out a strip of paper and ds1 made his own bookmark. It was black paper with white crayon and depicted bones (one of his loves). Later, we went to the craft store to buy laminating material, but we haven't laminated it yet.

The kids discovered some new books in a bag in my room and they read those. Ds1 discovered some sticky notes and he declared he was having a "sticky note party". It looked like my room exploded in sticky notes.

I can't remember what we did in the afternoon. During ds2's nap, we didn't read for a change. Instead, we played a shop game that involved selling sticky notes. I got to be the cashier and I sat inside the playstand and sold the notes to him for 50 cents each (expensive, huh?).

At one point, ds1 used the sticky notes to depict the heart and a blood vessel. We looked at our blood vessels and he asked where they were in the body. He really wanted to know how the brain is attached to our body, if blood vessels went in there and he kept coming out with the conclusion that there must be a hole in the brain to get it to attach to the spine. Later, in the bathroom, he tried to give me a blow by blow of what he was doing on the toilet, in way of a digestive lecture, so that I could learn, "how his body works". :

We went for a walk, but discovered that the stroller was in dh's car. So I carried ds2 on my back in the Kozy Carrier; that was a workout. We tossed bread to the ducks, but the fish ate it instead, doing big splashes in the process. We saw a big turtle swim to get a piece and then we noticed little funny turtle heads sticking out of the water. A baby turtle bravely came all the way to the shore line to get a piece of bread, but he had to fend off the fish.

We went to the chiropractor's that night and the chiro explained to ds1 that there's a hole in the skull and the brain sort of turns into the spine. She promised to show the basic structure with clay the next time we came.

Today, we might go to the big zoo in the capital (1.5 hrs away).

Argh. I meant to say that ds1 pointed to his world place-mat last night and said, "This orange one is Iceland." He knows Greenland, but I didn't know he remembered Iceland. For some reason, he is very interested in those two and why Greenland isn't actually green.

If I hurry and shower now while they're out getting haircuts, we'll be able to make the big zoo trip (we have to squeeze ds2's afternoon nap in). Woo hoo!
#43 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Dd is very into playing with her friends right now, so she had two playdates in the morning which involved a lot of , dancing, fantasy play, and pretending to be asleep.

She's also very into reading this book series Let's-read-and-find-out science. Stage 1. It started with one on how seed grow to pumpkins, then she was interested in how viruses work (she got sick and wanted to know why and what), so I brought home stacks of these books and she wants to read nearly all of them all the time.
#44 of 49 Old 10-22-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Aw bummer. Sorry Joan, it was raining here.
I keep mixing up this unschooling thread with the other one--I responded to this in the other thread...oh well.

Quote:
OMG Joan, the ghost in the commercial video? Scared the you know what out of me. I had headphones on too. Just don't send it to any potential heart attack victims, :LOL
Yup, that's the one. My youngest thinks it's hysterical. He sits here and watches it over and over again.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#45 of 49 Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Robert is building Bridget a mini-loft bed. It's a loft, but shorter than a regular one. The mattress will be around 5 feet off the ground. The ceiling isn't too tall in her room and there's a ceiling fan, so this will work with a nice little space underneath for her to play in, read in, whatever. So we joined him in the shop (garage) today. Bridget helped glue and place biscuits and then we helped him line up and clamp the pieces. I got some great pictures of her in a shop apron (to keep the glue off) with this serious look on her face, carefully putting biscuits in place Owen just watched and screamed at me when I took his picture. He says he doesn't want any more pictures

More Zoo Tycoon on Bridget's end. She showed me you can assign tour guides to exhibits which I didn't know you could do. I'm getting the urge to play the game again. I'll have to dig out the disk and get it on my computer tomorrow.

Oh, and she climbed up on the entertainment center and found some books I had put up there. They're books I didn't think she was interested in, I wasn't hiding them or anything, but she giggled and yelled that she found books (like there aren't hundreds of other books in the house ) and ran upstairs to read them. Later she came down with Anne of Green Gables and asked me to read it to her so I read a chapter. I read it to her once before and man, is that hard to read out loud (for someone with a propensity for stuttering at least!)

Huh, I'm blanking on what we did today, I did end up napping for a short time but not so much as yesterday.

Oh, tonight at dinner the kids are running around like wild animals. Robert and I are eating and the kids are just running back and forth from room to room, shrieking and having a good time. Robert's looking vaguely annoyed and I told him he's "too touchy". He said "no, you're too lax". (ok, this whole conversation was light and joking by the way). We go back and forth for a minute and then he says, as proof that I'm lax "the kids don't even go to school!" : At first I'm asking what the heck that has to do with anything but then I saw his point. These kids don't know how good they have it! Well, Owen wouldn't be in school yet, but Bridget would be in first grade and man would that kid be miserable.
#46 of 49 Old 10-23-2005, 05:21 AM

Oh man, we love Zoo Tycoon here! My daughter has been playing for years. She figured out so much stuff on there without even knowing how to read.
#47 of 49 Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my dd learned most of the ins and outs of that game before she was reading too! I think this is the first time she's played since she started reading though (she took a loooooooong zoo tycoon break), so she's figuring out even more.

I don't even know what my kids did most of today. They went to Grandma's for 4 hours so who knows? But tonight we went to their Great Grandma's 90th b-day party. We found a bunch of my late FIL's magic tricks and puzzles in the basement and played with them. Bridget had a lot of fun with one trick that turned 1 big die into 8 tiny dice. We got a real stumper with one puzzle where you had four pieces of wood and had to form them into a T (MAN was that one hard). And another where you had two pieces of wood and had to make a pyramid. I joked with BIL that since he's from Egypt he should be able to do that one and Bridget agreed Oh, and the one where you pull apart two nails. Bridget and Robert kept getting it but then being unable to repeat it. All in all, we had a lovely time
#48 of 49 Old 10-24-2005, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd had spent the night at a friend's house, so it was just me and Ds. We cleaned a bit, he read a lot, etc. Dh got home early and made a yummy dinner! Now they are all watching Pink Floyd The Wall.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#49 of 49 Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Great thread

Last night DH, DS and I went to a fireworks display so we had a late night and as usual DS was still up early! We're both tired and its raining so having a pretty quiet day. We have a contruction site set up in the familyroom with his crane and a dozen trucks & workmen which has been played with on and off, we did some chores (ds loves to vacuum ). DS is interested in Vikings all of a sudden so we looked up some sites on the net and are planning a trip to the library tomorrow. About to bake a cake and some cookies (gotta love pregnancy cravings ) when he has finished listening to his audio books (Bob the Builder & Spot the dog).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page