My almost five - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-21-2005, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could CARE LESS aobut doing any "work" that requires learning. I KNOW play is learning but shouldn't she start SOMETHING??

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#2 of 18 Old 10-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Tell us more. We like nothing better than to talk. What is that you are wanting your 4 year old to do that they are resisting?

It's hard to know how to respond because my 4 year old is a learning machine. Currently she's completely annoyed because she can't do a cartwheel. She can flip herself over a hanging bar now and is very pleased!

She just started representational drawing, which is very cool. She loves to be read to!

She teaches herself wonderful new things everyday. She's been obsessed by ancient cultures, math in many forms, science in many forms, and dinosaurs in the past year.

What thrills your child?
#3 of 18 Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 PM

One of the beauties of homeschooling is that your child doesn't have to start performing at some arbitrary age like kids do when they go to school.

Are you familiar with the concept of strewing? Find a bunch of cool stuff, leave it around for your kid to find (with no prodding from you), and see what happens.

Go to the library, take out 57 books, see which ones spark your kid's interest, and go from there.

Or, just wait a while. Four year olds play, that's what they do.

Namaste!
#4 of 18 Old 10-21-2005, 03:14 PM

No, I don't think a 4 year old should be doing reading or math.

I can't imagine your house is ever boring, she is learning lots about getting along in a family (something I think most adults could learn more about ) and about herself.

4 year olds should be playing-she'll grow up fast enough.
#5 of 18 Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The work of a 4 year old is play. Even if your child was in some sort of school atmosphere (pre-K or K etc) they would be most likely painting, playing with manipulatives (things such as blocks and tiles), rhyming or singing, doing active play such as climbing and running, and other things like that.

There just isn't any reason for her to do any formal schoolwork at all at this age in my opinion. Ask her what she likes to do or has wanted to do. Does she like art? How about cooking? Any interest in music or dance? How about building things or trains? Then seek those things out together at the library, home, in your community.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 18 Old 10-22-2005, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapellucida
Could CARE LESS aobut doing any "work" that requires learning. I KNOW play is learning but shouldn't she start SOMETHING??
I'm just curious-- what is it, exactly, that you expect her to do? Are you concerned because she seems unable to attend/focus, or are you just expecting her to want to do kindergarten a la school because of her age?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#7 of 18 Old 10-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Just wanted to throw out a few things we consider educational in our house.

-Cooking anything. Who knew chocolate chip cookies could be so educational?

-Writing or drawing letters to grandparents. She asks how they get the letter. Presto!

-Filling the birdfeeders and birdbath. She is learning how to care for animals. We've talked about one that I think is hurt and living under our deck. We leave out special treats for him like lint and hay so he can make a nest if he needs to.

-Bedtime stories. Enough said.

-Mommy building anything useful or doing work on our house. She's learning that girls AND boys can do lots of things.

-Filling big orange bags with grass clippings to make "pumpkins" for our yard. We end up talking about composting.

-Monday we are going to the museum where they have a presentation with small animals.

And of course general painting, drawing, and playing.

We do lots of other activities, but these are what pops into my mind right away.
#8 of 18 Old 10-22-2005, 07:08 PM

I have ended up falling in love w this thread........I hate the idea of pressuring a child to learn certain things bc society thinks its the right thing to do. A child will learn more through play and imagination.
#9 of 18 Old 10-23-2005, 09:40 AM

//
#10 of 18 Old 10-23-2005, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Okay--I just find it hard to believe she wouldn't want to know what the words say when she looks through a book. She has not interest in preschool level leap pads. I glace upward at an entire scholastic phonics reading program, LOL,................anyway she draws and draws and draws and draws and draws. I guess I will just let her coninue on her merry way. And imaginary play. (I LOVE reading so this is beyond comprehension.--can you say "issues")

"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#11 of 18 Old 10-23-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Okay--I just find it hard to believe she wouldn't want to know what the words say when she looks through a book. She has not interest in preschool level leap pads. I glace upward at an entire scholastic phonics reading program, LOL,................anyway she draws and draws and draws and draws and draws. I guess I will just let her coninue on her merry way. And imaginary play. (I LOVE reading so this is beyond comprehension.--can you say "issues")
Heidi,
Have you read, "The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease? The edition from my library was kind of old, but I think he updated it. Anyway, the premise of the book is that giving the joy of reading to a child is the #1 thing you can do to create a reader. And the joy of reading is given through reading aloud frequently, just for the pleasure of it. Many would argue that early reading instruction turns many kids off reading, because it becomes a chore for them. Show your child why you love reading so much by continuing to read fun things to her and she'll develop the motivation to break the code when she's ready. She'll associate books with pleasure and utility, not with "work".

My son is 4 as well and while I know he can decode a bit, he has no interest in doing so. It doesn't seem unusual to me, honestly. He knows that he is surounded by people who read to him and that they can do it fluently. So he currently prefers being read to. Sounding out c-a-t-s gets kind of boring quickly, imo. I would imagine that most 4yos, if left to their own devices, would not have serious independent interest in decoding yet.

I read books of many levels to my 4yo, from picture books to chapter books. I ask him what *he* would do if he were the character. I ask him what he thinks the character might do next to solve a problem. I pause to define an unknown word. He stops me to ask questions. He associates reading with pleasure, he understands the logical sequence of a story, he sees books as a way to mentally escape, and his comprehension is high. Those are important skills to have, all necessary for fluent reading and they can be "taught" by just reading aloud frequently. By reading aloud to her, you are teaching her and she is learning.

Drawing is great. She's further developing fine motor skills and basically working on pre-writing stuff. She's also invoking her imagination. I've known so many well-educated people that were so dull and without imagination. Don't underestimate its value. Companies today always stress "thinking outside the box" and even try to teach creativity to people. Your daughter is already working on that.

I have no knowledge of Leap programs, so I can't comment on that at all. My advice is to reframe what you consider educational. HTH!
#12 of 18 Old 10-23-2005, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes I would continue to let her draw if that is where her heart is right now!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#13 of 18 Old 10-23-2005, 03:56 PM

I try to foster my childrens interests and trust the rest will come along. There is NO way anyone in this house could grow up illiterate. There are books everywhere.

If she wants to draw...I would find books that taught kids how to draw things. There are lots of them around. I think our hearthsong catalog has some. I usually check the library before I buy a book. If it is THAT good, we buy it after a library preview.

Does she like videos? My 2 year old is really digging his alphabet after his older sister got Here Come the ABC's by They Might Be Giants DVD for her bday. She watches it and he is now showing me every "e" he can find.

Just let her draw and perhaps give her other art supplies. Perhaps some alphabet shaped sponges so she can sponge paint. Then she might want to sponge paint some words.

I just go with what my kids want to do and if I think they are lackign in an area...I get creative and bring up possibilities in that area. You can get math, reading and history in just about any area of interest.

OHHHHHH if she is into drawings....

A trip to the museum.

Lucy Mickelthwait has some gorgeous books using classical works of art to illustrate words and topics.

When we are at the grocery, I have my kids count the number of cans or bags or apples etc...and hand them to me. I put them in the cart. We count the steps when we go up them. And we read read read. I read to them until they want to read themselves.

What about books w/o words where you make up the stories? If she is artistic, she might like that.

(my five year old wants me to tell you she can count to 100, she is reading this as I type it)

You might want to check out Better Late Than Early by Raymond Moore. He talks about the pitfalls of early forced education on children.
#14 of 18 Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftField
Heidi,
Have you read, "The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease? The edition from my library was kind of old, but I think he updated it. Anyway, the premise of the book is that giving the joy of reading to a child is the #1 thing you can do to create a reader. And the joy of reading is given through reading aloud frequently, just for the pleasure of it. Many would argue that early reading instruction turns many kids off reading, because it becomes a chore for them.
The Read-aloud Handbook is excellent! I wish I'd read it sooner. I really scared my son away from reading by trying to teach him to read.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#15 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

A reply to all the above: Nope haven't read the book but just bokmarked the site to go back to it. Thanks for the replies!

Oh and sponge painting has to be done within a controlled environment in my house! Actually anything with paint. LOL I am still finding spots of paint on my tile floor form the marble paiontings we just did. *SIGH*

#16 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
A reply to all the above: Nope haven't read the book but just bokmarked the site to go back to it. Thanks for the replies!

Oh and sponge painting has to be done within a controlled environment in my house! Actually anything with paint. LOL I am still finding spots of paint on my tile floor form the marble paiontings we just did. *SIGH*

This kinda sounds like my DD she will be 5 in July though and is really interested in EVERYTHING. But, she won't sit down to learn anything. I figured that is fine for me. So I try to make everything a learning experience. She can read so when I read to her she has to read a line to me. And we go back and forth, kinda like tag. Or when she is done tying her sneakers I ask her to tie her brothers , not only is she still practicing but she can explain it to him and kinda cement it in her mind. Or in the morning because we have a digital clock and I am lazy (hehe) I have her tell me what time it is to learn her numbers and then she wakes me at a certain time. She is learning what numbers are higher than others and how the two numbers coupled together makes a whole other number. She almost always confuses 2 and 5 but she doesn't feel pressured into knowing. She also gets in a little bit of addition because if it is 7:15 and I want her to wake me it 2 minutes what time will it be? She loves that and it wakes me up. But we just kinda go with it. She doesn't really like sitting down so I try not to make her. I hope this helps.
#17 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The best place for painting is in the tub. You give them a cup or two of paint, brushes (or not) and you can have 30 minutes of peace , then give them some wash cloths and fill up the tub, and they can scrub the paint off of the walls and themselves.
#18 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 02:44 PM

We have just started very casually doing Five in A Row. For each story, they talk about the art aspect. It has exposed us to pastels, concepts of how to make a picture light vs. dark, warm vs. cool colors, etc. Maybe if you read the story but also focus on the illustrations, she will find books a little more interesting. I also think I remember USAmma finding an art cirriculum-type thing for her almost 5yo? It might have something that will spark her interest yet help you feel as if she's "learning". (BTW, I agree with everyone that it's OK for her to be playing and not doing anything structured)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page