NaNoWriMo - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 155 Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ooh! me me me!!

I'm writing a whodunit. it has a red herring and everything.

actually it's a love story.

actually it's an in-depth exploration of my own pathological abandonment issues.

but that's not important.

what's important is that it's 20,593 words.
#122 of 155 Old 11-17-2005, 03:46 PM

still kicking. writing out of order, each scene shorter and shorter. not sure where it is all leading, but it is all somehow connected.

i am at 32K. but slowing down.

i have no memory of what is written already

dh heard me try to summarise it, and said, "well, it seems like it is about death". i thought it was about life
#123 of 155 Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Still going here too! New wrinkle though. We haven't turned the heat on yet, to save money, and lately it's getting a bit cold to type. My fingers are sort of stiff. Especially since most of my writing is done late at night. Fingerless gloves maybe? Stop being cheap and turn the heat on?

I abandoned chapters. Not on purpose but last night I realized that chapter 8 was well over 8000 words long with no end in sight Right now I'm just doing a double space where I think a scene ends. I figure I'll go back when I'm done and figure out what are scene divisions and what are chapters.

Quote:
dh heard me try to summarise it, and said, "well, it seems like it is about death". i thought it was about life
That made me laugh for some reason

Off to go grocery shopping. I always have good ideas while grocery shopping
#124 of 155 Old 11-19-2005, 02:18 PM

oh gosh, turn on the heat!

good for you. chapters are a pain.

but i read (by cybele) that everything in your novel counts for the word count -- the title, the dedication, the author's name, the foreward, the epilogue, etc. this is easy a 1000 words, if i am desperate

so don't you use just that double space -- have little titles. i have three of four scenes titled "the chapter in which my MC mees her daughter". then she starts walking there, and digresses into some memory, and by the time i am out of steam, she is still walking there . well, to be honest, they just met, but they are still only entering the photography studio. but the little subtitles will help me to organise later. and they are the extra words.

i am at my final stretch. 10k to go. if only i knew where to go. okay, i know. she will die at the end. i know how she will die. but i am afraid she won't accomplish anything before hand. hm. trouble.

keep on writing writing writing.
#125 of 155 Old 11-20-2005, 10:39 PM

#126 of 155 Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana
So close!!!
#127 of 155 Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Cool beans Anna!!!

I hit 40k last night but I'm about to go backwards I couldn't figure out how to do something (plot wise) so I just kept writing. By the time I went to bed I realized that scene didn't work and had FINALLY come up with what I think is a good one. So this morning I'll be deleting what I wrote last night and hope to get back up to 40k before I stop (it was only a thousand words or so).

Bridget has gotten into the habit of laying in bed for an hour or two reading Calvin and Hobbes before she gets up in the morning. Meanwhile, Owen asked to watch a video. So, here's the slacker mom, about to start happily writing again
#128 of 155 Old 11-22-2005, 05:01 PM

I AM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't care if the last 5K are totally unreadable (not that i tried reading it. just a gut feeling). i am DONE!!!

shannon, DO NOT DELETE. i have a couple of chapters that do not belong at all, but they are there. you will destroy the spirit of NaNo if you delete . just keep on writing forward.

ada has been throwing up all night. this is when i am glad that she is nursing -- she can't even hold water down. but bm works. but i am DONE!

i guess a more positive way would be saying 'i won'? but alas. the t-shirts (my self-imposed prize) are sold out.
#129 of 155 Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm so jealous. I'm stuck. I don't even want to post my word count, it's so embarrassing. Let's just say that it's less than half of 50,000.

Kylix
#130 of 155 Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylix
I'm so jealous. I'm stuck. I don't even want to post my word count, it's so embarrassing. Let's just say that it's less than half of 50,000.

Kylix
you can do it!
what worked for me was to just start writing. even if just kind of talking to myself. i will probably be cutting a lot from the beginning of many chapters -- i often have several warm-up paragraphs.
#131 of 155 Old 11-22-2005, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Whoo hoo Anna! Congrats!

As for me, too late. I deleted, But it's ok, I wrote a new scene and more than made up for it. I'm now at 43,000. It's become apparent I will need more than 50,000 for this story. I am having too much fun here

Kylix I second Anna's advice. That's how I started. Day 1 I couldn't think of anything to write so I ended up just blogging about how my kids were driving me nuts After a few paragraphs of that my story suddenly popped up. So I, uh, went back and deleted the blogging stuff (oh my, even from the beginning I was a bad NaNoWriMo'er wasn't I? )

Or do you want to tell us what you're stuck with and get opinions? I have found the NaNoWriMo boards invaluable in that regard. So many times I even typed out a post, detailing my problem and then, as I was typing it, I figured out the solution and didn't post. Just writing or talking it out helps me.
#132 of 155 Old 11-25-2005, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

49,000 and change

My dh is a doll again Took the kids and their bikes to the school parking lot down the street this afternoon so I could have an hour to myself to write. And then of course after we got back from Thanksgiving at the in-laws I wrote some more.

Tomorrow at noon pacific time (3 pm my time) they open the official counter thingie. I hope to have something to submit by then
#133 of 155 Old 11-25-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

50,003 as of this morning :
#134 of 155 Old 11-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
50,003 as of this morning :

YOU DID IT!!!

#135 of 155 Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Anna, thanks Do you have your purple bar? And your certificate? I'm such a geek, I'm going to frame mine,

The problem is that now writer's block has hit I'm at 50,980 and suddenly I just can't decide what to do with one character and how to end the story. I wrote the big climax and am really happy with it, but what then? Urgh. Maybe it will come to me as I'm falling asleep, as so many good ideas do

Dar, if you're still lurking here, thank you SO much for posting about this. This was just the coolest thing evah!
#136 of 155 Old 11-26-2005, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: :

CONGRATULATIONS to all who've made it so far! What an incredible accomplishment!

You Mamas ROCK!

(I'm way behind, myself - but I'm still in the game.)
Won't post my current wordcount, but I promise to share it 12/1.
~Jenny

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#137 of 155 Old 11-26-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Anna, thanks Do you have your purple bar? And your certificate? I'm such a geek, I'm going to frame mine,

The problem is that now writer's block has hit I'm at 50,980 and suddenly I just can't decide what to do with one character and how to end the story. I wrote the big climax and am really happy with it, but what then? Urgh. Maybe it will come to me as I'm falling asleep, as so many good ideas do

Dar, if you're still lurking here, thank you SO much for posting about this. This was just the coolest thing evah!
oh, yes, the beautiful purpleness! i do have it . though now, at dh's computer, it is not as gloriously purple

i am going to print it out, yes, but i don't think i will frame it! i think i will just put it on the wall next to my novel notes, above my computer. heh heh. i really wanted that t-shirt though

i absolutely stopped writing the moment i hit 50000. i mean i wrote a short story, and did several drafts of it, it is almost done. but did not touch my novel. i need a breather from it. i am going to add so much, though. i just figured out my MC needs a love interest. . and i know there are so many scenes when i got lazy and 'told', or had not idea how to 'show', and now it is coming to me. so i am excited, but i am taking a break till december 1st. then i will plunge into editing -- cutting and adding and rearranging.

nanowrimo really got me back to my writing. i am so grateful i saw Dar's post.
thanks, Dar!
#138 of 155 Old 11-26-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, nothing came to me last night. I really *don't* feel like I need or want a break yet, I just can't come up with an idea. This happened a few times before and I always came up with something. I should keep doing the NaNoWriMo thing and just write something/anything, and then it will lead to something good and I can edit out the junk later.

Or I could just work on expanding some of the scenes I skimped a bit on.

Bummer about the tees. Yeah, I finally decided I wanted one too and then they were out. Oh well.

Jenny, just keep writing, just keep writing (that was someone's sig on NaNoWriMo and I imagine it in Dory's sing song voice from Finding Nemo ) What's your story about?
#139 of 155 Old 11-26-2005, 08:25 PM

Well remember how I was at 17,000 some words days ago. Well I'm at 36,000 words now and counting. I am really beginning to feel like I can do this. It has been slow going for me but I started this and I am going to finish it.

My goal for the night is to reach 40,000 words. The hardest part of all of this is that I really feel like my storyline was finished at like 31,000 or 32,000 words. I added in a new plot twist to make it to 50,000 that I'm not in love with but maybe if I do well, will work for my plot.

Oh well...I need to stop writing here and get back to my novel. I'm losing precious word count from my novel.

Kylix
#140 of 155 Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Kylix how ya doin'?

My new goal is to finish my story by the 30th. I only have a short section to write (possibly one scene, no more than 3 - not sure yet) and then the epilogue and then the story will be done. Until I go back and flesh things out, make changes and edit the heck out of the whole thing of course,

Oh, almost forgot! I went to a friend's house today. Our kids played and we sat in the kitchen and discussed our stories. She's not a NaNoWriMoer but has been writing a novel for awhile now. I've been listening to her chat about hers for a year now (and helping her edit, giving suggestions) and now I have something to talk about too! I had so much fun! My story is such that I can't really get into details most of the time, seeing as how I'm usually in the company of small, impressionable young children but the kids were safely in the other room loudly sword fighting (uh, plastic swords) and watching Scooby Doo so it worked out
#141 of 155 Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM

Shannon-- I am at 45,696 words!!! I love NaNoWriMo's word count validator. It always says I have about 800 words more than Microsoft Word says I do.

I really believe that I can finish this novel by the 30th!! A week ago, I really didn't think that I could.

Kylix
#142 of 155 Old 11-29-2005, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Go Kylix!!!!!
#143 of 155 Old 11-30-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

This is it! The last day. I have decided to practice benign neglect parenting today The kids can watch all the videos they want til their little brains fry. Tomorrow their mom will be back Today I'm getting this story DONE! (ok, ok, I made them food, I read a story, I chatted with dd's doll, I'm not totally checked out )

Kylix, keep writing
#144 of 155 Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM

It's official...I am the Biggest Loser!
But that's okay, I am still gonna write! Congrats to everyone who made the deadline!!
#145 of 155 Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM

I made it to 50,000 last night at about 10pm. I'm so happy! I really thought for a while there that I wasn't going to make it. I should probably go back through my novel and fix some things. I may give it to my father for Xmas.

Kylix
#146 of 155 Old 12-01-2005, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

13Moons, you are still writing, you are very much NOT a loser! And like I told Bridget the other day, it took Tolkein 10 YEARS to write Lord of the Rings. How bout that?

Kylix, congrats!!! Some people were talking about going to Lulu.com where you can have a copy of your story hardbound. I don't know the cost but that would make a cool present!

11:59 last night I updated my word count for the final time. 59,044 words. Not that I'm counting

And, uh, did you guys hear about NaNoFiMo? National Novel Finishing Month? Started by a NaNoWriMo participant. The idea is to write 30,000 more words in December to add to your 50k. I figure I'm already 9k ahead and I *do* have a lot of things that need expanded so . . . . . . yes, I'm nuts

This has just been the coolest and I am definitely doing this again next year.
#147 of 155 Old 12-01-2005, 03:53 PM

I would do NaNoFiMo, but my novel is basically finished. I feel like I stretched a bunch of things and want to take some things out before I get it printed off to give as gifts. It would be cool to have it hardbound. I may look into Lulu.com.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Kylix
#148 of 155 Old 12-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
13Moons, you are still writing, you are very much NOT a loser! And like I told Bridget the other day, it took Tolkein 10 YEARS to write Lord of the Rings. How bout that?
Aw, thanks Shannon! And serious congrats on your word count! I'm not really upset about not finishing because I've had a ton of (paying) work come in these last couple weeks, thus preventing me from writing as much, but providing a nice paycheck. Which is always a good thing in December. But I'm glad I am really writing again, so in that I am successful!
#149 of 155 Old 04-05-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

(looking at my framed winner's cert on the wall - told you I was a geek!)

Anyone doing anything with their stories? I put mine aside for a few months. I needed some space from it but I also get SAD and figured winter wasn't the time to be immersed in the dark world I created

Anyway, I just picked it up again and have started re-reading so I can do some major editing, cutting, adding, etc.
#150 of 155 Old 04-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Shannon, I also get SAD in winter- we live in the grayest place on the planet I think. I planned to do nanoedmo and edit it, but March came and went. I sent my file to a few friends who enjoyed reading it, but that's all. I think I need an editor.

The momentum of the process got me going though and I wrote an essay, some poems and a short story in Dec. and January then the winter got the best of me.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page