NaNoWriMo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dar posted on another thread about how her dd is doing this. I think it's way cool and deserves a thread of it's own (or maybe it's just me and no one else is interested and this thread will die a quick and painless death as it falls off page 1 and sinks into oblivion ).

Here's the webpage! http://www.nanowrimo.org/ Go to the FAQ and read that. The idea is to attempt to write a 50,000 word story in the month of November. I just signed up I have no illusions that I'll actually get anywhere near 50,000 words (SAH homeschooling mom of two small kids? Yeah, lots of free time here ) but it will be fun I love some of the quotes from the FAQ!

Quote:
There will be much execrable prose, yes. But amidst the crap, there will be beauty. A lot of it.
Quote:
Can I write one word 50,000 times?
No. Well... No.
:

Or scroll down to this question for the best reasons to do this

Quote:
If I'm just writing 50,000 words of crap, why bother? Why not just write a real novel later, when I have more time?
(REALLY like the three part answer to this one but it's probably a bit long to post here)

I've been trying to write a story for months now. Some days it flows, some days it comes out so cheesy I need crackers to soak it up. Those days tend to depress me and then I don't write again for weeks. Maybe something like this, where you just write for the sake of writing, will help to lighten things up. At the very least, maybe I need to take a vacation from these really cool characters I've gotten too emotionally invested in, and just have some fun
#2 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Checking it out!! Very cool idea Dar and Shannon I will mention it to the kids too just in case they are interested.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#3 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 AM

oops
#4 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 12:34 AM

I'm going to do it. Or try anyway.
#5 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am a nut to try this, but what have I got to lose? I signed up!
#6 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Me too. I don't even know what I'll write, but I am going to try.
#7 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm signing up too!

Kylix
#8 of 155 Old 10-24-2005, 09:44 PM

Cool, I have always dreamed of writing a novel! I am going to sign up, don't have any ideas yet, but, like others said, what do I have to lose

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#9 of 155 Old 10-25-2005, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

I will be happy just to come out in the end with a story. A complete story. With a beginning, a middle and an end. And not too much cheese
#10 of 155 Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 AM

I am so glad you posted this. I was totally going to do this last year, but chickened out. I would love to do it this year. I work full time (well, more than full time) but I am going to go for it!!!
#11 of 155 Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 AM

I'm using this as an opportunity to finally write down the fictionalized version of my first marriage... it is stranger than fiction.

Maybe if I write it down and get it out of my head, I will stop having bizarre dreams about it.

Lo
#12 of 155 Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM

Was wondering if we should all be "buddies" over there, that way we can watch eachother's progress? It would be kinda fun, since we are all MDC-er's

#13 of 155 Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 PM

I was going to do this last year and, for the life of me, I can't remember why I didn't.

I'm going to do it this year!! Yes!
#14 of 155 Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 PM

i am doing it too! i am so excited. this is so absolutely CRAZY , but it sounds like so much fun.

i signed up, and can't wait to start. i just posted on my blog that this means i won't be doing my parenting blog, nor will i be posting on the MDC .

in fact i think MDC should close for the month of november
#15 of 155 Old 10-26-2005, 08:27 PM

so who is writing what and how do we get together over there? anyone wants to?

i am writing 'literary fiction' about mothers
#16 of 155 Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM

no one else is still psyched?
#17 of 155 Old 10-28-2005, 02:46 PM

I'm still psyched but have no idea what I'm going to write yet. Still brainstorming....
#18 of 155 Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 PM

I have some vague ideas about characters and environmental elements and feel that I want to write about but no actual story. I really don't know what's going to come out of this, but I figure it can't hurt to just be writing. Otherwise I think I might never start.
#19 of 155 Old 10-29-2005, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still psyched I just have low expectations though I mean, I'm not really expecting to get a novel out of this, but I *am* expecting to get a story. A story would have me THRILLED. Seriously! Writer's block has been kicking my butt on the other story so I'm going to officially shelve that for awhile and use this as an excuse to have fun Even if I don't get anything good out of this, at the very least maybe it will give me a needed break from the other one.

I have some ideas in my head but mostly it's going to be a free association thing. I just plan to sit down on November 1st after Owen falls asleep and just write write write

Quote:
I really don't know what's going to come out of this, but I figure it can't hurt to just be writing. Otherwise I think I might never start
Those are my thoughts too
#20 of 155 Old 10-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Dar

Rain and I were planning our novels over Indian food last week... I'm going to write a young adult fiction book about a large, hippie-ish unschooling family. I have a nice plot, too. You are allowed to work out plotlines and characters before Novemebr 1, and it seems to me that that's my only chance of actually finishing the thing. With the one I did 2 years ago I was just winging it, and I didn't really know where I was goign, and I think maybe that's why I sort of petered out.

I'm going to write on my laptop and bring it with me when I sub, too, and maybe I'll get some prep periods when I can write.

Should we start a thread elsewhere so that non-homeschoolers who are doing NaNoWriMo can join, or are we happily exclusive?

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#21 of 155 Old 10-29-2005, 10:02 AM

I am okay with letting the rest know. I think it is a really cool opportunity; I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on it, yk?

#22 of 155 Old 10-29-2005, 10:38 AM

dd and I have both signed up. I have absolutely NO idea what I'm going to write. I just realized it's been four years since I've written a fiction piece. Huh. That's just slightly discouraging. If only I could backspace over that thought!

Maybe this will be the motivation I need to get going again--I've never done a whole novel/novella, just short stories, so this is pretty ambitious, even if it wasn't within the timeframe of a month.

Fingers crossed that this will jump-start something!

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#23 of 155 Old 10-29-2005, 12:09 PM

I wanted to add that this site is one of the coolest, ever. Those folks are just so incredibly decent and wonderful.
#24 of 155 Old 10-29-2005, 03:16 PM

I'm signed up to do it. I'm all excited about it. And DS is going to give it a go too. I think its cool motivation for him with creative writing. Anyway, I've always wanted to write a novel. I'll be fictiionalizing my childhood mostly. So cool. Good luck to everyone!

#25 of 155 Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, totally post this elsewhere. Isn't there a writing board? I just started the thread here because this is the board I heard about it on
#26 of 155 Old 11-01-2005, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ladies, start your engines

Anyone actually starting at midnight? I usually go to bed around then so I'll be starting tomorrow. I still have no idea what I got nothin' I had some ideas but they keep morphing and fading and getting written over in my head by every thing I read.
#27 of 155 Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 AM

I just did a forum search to see if anyone else on MDC was doing nano. I probably wouldn't have found the thread without that feature! This is my fifth year, I finished the first two times (didn't do a ton of planning/outlines), didn't finish the next two years (did do planning/outlines the third, didn't the fourth but I had a job & life was just stressful last year) and I WILL be breaking that tie with 50k this year.

I am so tired, less than three weeks postpartum, and thinking I may just head to bed right now & write tommorow. In the past I've always started at midnight, but staying up another hour (okay, fifty minutes, but who is counting?) seems like a lot.

I wonder where my husband put the halloween candy the kids got ... I need to uhm pick out the things we don't let them eat.

aisling
#28 of 155 Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 AM

I'm stuck too. I challenged my mom and son to join me on this, but I am the one who can't think of what I want to write.

Me too, aishy! I got half of ds's stash already since he got braces this month. Since you have done this before, do you prefer working with an outline or without. I am guessing I'll start without since I don't know what I am doing yet. Gotta shake this perfectionism. Don't want to paralyze my efforts waiting for the perfect idea to come along.
#29 of 155 Old 11-01-2005, 05:59 AM

OK, help me please! Where the heck am I supposed to be writing?

HSMom- 3 beautiful boys that keep me on my toes ; wife to 1 wonderful man (who also keeps me on my toes) ; cat Mom; dog Mom; raising chickens, rabbits & doing whatever God leads me to do
#30 of 155 Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Dar

Write on your computer, or wherever you want. Sign up at the nanowrimo site and post your word count, if you want. it helps you stick with it. Not that I've started yet, mind you... I'm at work still.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page