Story of the World - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 11-07-2005, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been hunting around looking at curriculum stuff and I'm interested in this series... but, what I've been reading leads me to wonder if this is a "christian" curriculum/series, but I haven't seen it called "christian" outright.

For those of you who use it, *is* it Christian? and if so, is it obnoxiously so or is it something that can be ignored?

Thanks!

Lo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 AM

We've had a few threads about SOTW lately that should give you all the detail you're looking for. Quickly, though, while it's not expressly Christian in terms of content, there is a Western bias to the material and treats religions and belief systems other than Christianity as myth. In my opinion, these characteristics are easily managed by selectively ignoring certain chapters, judicious parental editing and/or using well-chosen supplemental materials. Some believe the material to be unacceptably Christian and others that it is not Christian enough. I don't find it so overtly religious that the content cannot be easily dealt with.

HTH.
#3 of 11 Old 11-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Here you go. Fresh from last week.

As I said in the thread, my problem with SotW is not that it's Christian but that it's extremely Eurocentric. There's a difference! For example, the idea that there is a "Judeo-Christian Ethic;" there so isn't. Or, the notion that tzedakah and charity are the same thing-- they're not! The more I read of SotW, the more obvious it becomes that the books were written by a well-meaning white Christian American. I mean, you can learn that from the covers but I find it very easy to see in the books themselves. I don't think that it should be marketed as a complete world history curriculum, despite the fact that it is more inclusive and more thoughtfully written than most history curricula, and it's certainly the broadest world history curriculum I've ever encountered that's designed for kids in the grammar stage (grades 1-4).

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

#4 of 11 Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread, but I had considered getting the 1st book and now I am not so sure.

Rynna, what do you do for history then? Do you have any suggestions on some good history books?
#5 of 11 Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You know, one thing you can do if you want to skip the SOTW books is get the first edition of The Well Trained Mind (from before she wrote the SO TW books and use the books that she originally recommended for history.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#6 of 11 Old 02-03-2006, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It doesn't hurt to get the second verson of The Well Trained Mind. We have a good library but one issue with the first edition is that many of the books are out of print or not obtainable.
#7 of 11 Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure most of the things that are recommended in the first edition can be gotten from the Rainbow Resource catalog.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
  11yo dd
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#8 of 11 Old 02-04-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve
Rynna, what do you do for history then? Do you have any suggestions on some good history books?
My son is only semi-interested in History at the moment; I actually count this as a good thing, because he's so interested in so many subjects at the moment that letting history slide a bit is really something of a relief. At any rate, I am reading through SOTW now and deciding which chapters we will read from the book and which we will find info on elsewhere. I'm writing all of this stuff down in a notebook for now, and looking for other sources when I have time. It's not a pressing need at the moment, but it is a project that I am slowly chipping away at. Like I said, I like SoTW, I think that it's a good program overall, but I'm not Christian or white, and neither are my kids. I think it's important to have a broader understanding of the world, and to look at history from different perspectives.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 11 Old 02-04-2006, 02:11 AM

SOTW is very short, and not time consuming. I think it's worth getting and using for an outline. We end up reading and discussing one chapter for about 15 minutes once a week, and go to the library and check out as many books as we can carry on the same subject. There isn't actually a lot of really pithy information in it, but it does help keep me on track and gives us something consistent to use.
#10 of 11 Old 02-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I looked into buying it, but decided against it after reading reviews at amazon and homeschoolreviews.com.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#11 of 11 Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 PM

My son is enjoying it, and now claims history is his favorite subject. We also go much more in depth, at least part of the time. We spent several months on Ancient egypt (inlcuding the Tut exhibit) and are now spending extra time on Ancient greece.

The activity book also lists additional books for further reading, but I've mostly just been getting whats avaialble at the library.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page