Homeschooling preschoolers support thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 390 Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lula, you will love this thread, everyone is loving it and getting great ideas and info.
#302 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 02:33 AM

The library: I love and hate our library for everything everyone here posted already. I get nervous and then I just keep them out for as long as I feel like it and then have wopping late fees. But otherwise we read so many books that I couldn't afford the Amazon bill. We take out about 20-30 each month and are allowed 1 month and then can renew as long as I like until a book is on hold. BUT, the website is usually not working so I usually cannot renew and just suck up the late fees. Currently I owe 3 different books back to them for about 3 months(Maurice Sendak's One Was Johnny, Alligators All Around and a Boston Museum's ABCD that my kids are in love with and I might have to purchase from the library we have had it since Sept. and they read it daily still) and they won't lend me any more until I return them. But since I have 30 or so of their books, I just held on to last month's slew of books. And the cool thing is that there is the BEST 2 children's librarians that pick books out for me that I would never pick myself and 1/2 the time they are hits with my kids and the other 1/2 I return early to feel better about myself and my library ways. I have also got books that I would never have thought to purchase or rent from Freecycle. I freecycle a lot of our stuff and if I see children's books posted I always try to get them in case it's something cool for the kids. Have you tried Freecycle? I love it. We got a Walt Disney World vacation memories book from someone that my kids are in love with, I don't know why but it is one of their favorites to look at the castle and the balloons and the marching band and the parade, etc.... It's so fascinating to them and I would NEVER in a million years have bought them a book like that. Also we got Kiplinger's animal Encyclopedia, ds's favorite of all time too, and a little rhyming book my kids are in love with The Biggest Snowball Ever. It's about Xmas so I just inserted Wintertime everywhere it said Xmastime and they love the story.
#303 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 AM

BoyGirlTwinsAPMama, I'm sort of glad (though not, but hopefully ykwim) to hear you say that. I find it really hard to keep all of our books straight and return on time since dd has been in the picture, too, just as you described. Lately I've been trying to get serious about mending my ways, because we can't afford the fines right now!

Oye Yemaya oloto
#304 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 AM

I hate late fees. Last year I took a couple of books back a week late and it ended up it would of been cheaper for me to just buy the books. I haven't been back, although I am tempted to go today for something to do. I check their website for stuff that I want but it's rare they have anything (or when I do it ends up missing so I never do get to borrow).
#305 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 12:34 PM

At our library, the late fees can only build to the cost of replacement for the item, which is actually right there on it (usually stamped onto the pocket that holds the card that says when it's due). When you have more than $10 in late fees/fines, you can't check out more books. I've been very careful lately, but right now I've got one book which I have to buy because BeanBean spilled something on it and now all the pages are stuck together. : Yick.

I love books, though, and I'm good at finding them free/cheap. I was raised to do it. The problem for me is that I don't have places to put them all. I'm working on finding materials for bookshelves right now. *sigh*

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#306 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
At our library, the late fees can only build to the cost of replacement for the item, which is actually right there on it (usually stamped onto the pocket that holds the card that says when it's due). When you have more than $10 in late fees/fines, you can't check out more books. I've been very careful lately, but right now I've got one book which I have to buy because BeanBean spilled something on it and now all the pages are stuck together. : Yick.
Same here (except the stamping part) but that doesn't take into consideration they also had those books at the dollar store (which I found out after I returned them). I've gotten tons of great books from the dollar store with values on them up to $25
#307 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 01:34 PM

We
#308 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Our library has an annual fee-free return drive. Amnesty, they call it. I think it's only a week long. Also, I can go online and renew my books through our library's website to avoid late fees, as long as no one has placed a hold on the item. My library sends me e-mails when items are coming due, so I don't accidentally forget. Oh, and I can request items online, and they'll e-mail me when they're ready for pick-up! I usually do that for books that I want, so that I don't have to try to supervise the kids and search the shelves at the same time.

Basically, the internet has led to almost fee-free library usage for me! It's worth looking into your library's online system to see what features they have that you could use.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#309 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 06:31 PM

i am so happy i found you all! my dd1 is almost 3 and has been trying to learn to read for several months now. she is pretty advanced for her age and we are trying to encourage her love of learning. she loves the idea of school, so i was starting to think about homeschooling her now as this is something we are very interested in doing when she reaches school age anyway. i am looking forward to catching up on all the posts here and learning more from you other mommies and daddies on your experiences, ideas, etc...

a little bit about me: my name is cat and i am the proud mother of 3 wonderful kids. my son (from my first marriage) is almost 19 and loves college right now...my dd1 is almost 3 and is our "wild child". she is the one that will jump off things, climb things, etc.. she is also very intelligent and thinks she's about 18 instead of 2..lol our other dd is 3 months old and is our super mellow baby. she is very happy, very content...loves people. whew!! hehe my husband is an architectural draftsman with his own business and i run an online retail outlet (just starting up really). we live on a farm in texas and are hoping to move up to austin this summer. i just finished the last of my classes for my degree in religious studies, so am very happy about that.. we love movies, books, art, music, outdoor activities (my dh is a surfer and skateboarder).

anyway, hello and i am looking forward to getting to know you all!

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#310 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM

I too use my library website. It's handy too for when I don't have a lot of time (the kids HAVE to go to the Children's Dept and color/play with the toys/pick out a video and books) so I can put all my items on hold and if I wait a few hours they'll have them pulled off the shelf and waiting for me at the checkout desk. And I love the email reminders/online renewal.

Believe me... the library loses TONS of money because of late or never returned books. I worked at my public library until ds was born and our *small town* library generally has over $27k in overdue items, unpaid lost items and late fees just waiting to be paid. And they're really laid back... only $.10 a day per item late fee, max $2 per item... used to be you could have $25 in late fees/lost items before they stopped checkout but that's changed to $5 due to budget problems.

Believe me, when you work there and see how many people they have to send to Collections for taking out $200 of materials and not returning them- it adds up and there's always other people wanting to check out those items, but they can't!

Oops... I think I got on my soapbox!
#311 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Michelle, I do think it's helpful to hear about it from "the other side."

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#312 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Mea culpa, mea culpa...

Oye Yemaya oloto
#313 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 PM

I didn't mean to get on my soapbox... but we spent so many man hours trying to get items back.

Some libraries are really raising their fees though, like the one in the next county. Terribly high fees and I imagine it could get a bit pricey to use the library if you tend to take them back late. I'm just glad our library has a day or two grace period and then minimal fines... and online renewal. I definitely take advantage of it.

I love online banking, online library renewal etc... easy to do even if the kids are loud in the background- unlike trying to use the phone!
#314 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 PM

I'm all for libraries getting their materials back or being able to replace them. It's a good thing. It's just depressing when something horrible happens (like your son spills something on a book ). Our library system has an excellent internet site, you can order books from anywhere in the county with it; the trouble is, my home computer crashes when I visit it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after we pay for my dental care and the washer & dryer and BooBah's new carseat we'll still have money left over for a new computer. : Our poor tax return... it's been entirely spent for the past 4 months.

I've been borrowing videos from the library. I found one called "Tell Me Why-- A Healthy Body." BeanBean enjoyed it immensely. I watched it the other day, and noticed that he stared in rapt attention as they talked about blood, cells, organs and body systems. He continued to pay attention as they discussed nutrition and exercise, and then he got up and left the room. After he left, they did a segment about drugs which was chock-full of inaccurate information! It was funny to me because BeanBean had apparently ignored this part of the video before, he didn't enjoy it and had stopped watching, but if he had watched it I would have had damage to undo-- for example "crack is a purer form of cocaine," which is totally false. There's also no mention of things like ecstasy or ketamine, which didn't exist back then. Nor GHB. Crazy, crazy stuff. I seriously debated telling the library that some of the information on that particular tape is outdated or incorrect, but in the end I just returned it (my sciatica was acting up and I needed to sit down ).

BooBah is trying very hard to learn to read. It's absolutely insane. I haven't started a formal program with her, but if she keeps up like this I'm going to have to do something just to keep up.

#315 of 390 Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM

Wow, I'm feeling lucky. The libraries in my county and our neighboring county don't do late fees on books. I too am in love with the online catalogues for helping me avoid chasing Sylvia around the aisles and picking up all the toys and puzzle pieces off the floor after she's done with them. The only downside is that it's much harder to browse and pick out random books.

Lately we've been doing a lot of tracing to work on her fine motor skills. We went through one tracing workbook (don't hate me...she LOVED it!!!) and now I'm trying to find stuff to print off from online.

The weather has been nice here so we went on a nature walk today. She took her magnifying glass which she used sporadically. We hunted for mushrooms but only found a couple given that it's still cold.
#316 of 390 Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM

PS- Thanks for all the Piaget comments!
#317 of 390 Old 01-04-2006, 03:06 AM

Happily subscribing

I have two boys ages 17 mos and 3 1/2. As all our little friends go off to preschool, I have started to feel more and more like I am homeschooling ds1. He is so busy all the time taking things apart, making costumes for himself, creating imaginary stories. We all enjoy going to the museum, the zoo, swimming, gymnastics, the library, Hiking and camping, and traveling around.
So, how do you mamas with toddlers do it? My 3 year old wants to do things that the baby (er toddler) can't do. Story time at the library has become impossible for us because the baby isn't able to sit through it. Or, some grandiose art project that ds wants to do is constantly being trashed by the baby. That has been huge challenge for us.
Hugs,
Michelle

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
#318 of 390 Old 01-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapajama
So, how do you mamas with toddlers do it? My 3 year old wants to do things that the baby (er toddler) can't do. Story time at the library has become impossible for us because the baby isn't able to sit through it. Or, some grandiose art project that ds wants to do is constantly being trashed by the baby. That has been huge challenge for us.
My kids are 3 and 18 months. I try to find things that will interest one or both kids on their own, and have "safe" activities available for BooBah, but most of the time I end up somehow incorporating her into the lessons. She's desperate to participate, she wants to count and read and add and subtract and do all sorts of fun things. I don't know if it's because she sees BeanBean enjoying himself or if it's because she's just seriously driven to learn it all, I suspect that it's a bit of both, but BooBah is just as likely to sit down when I start reading a book out loud as her brother is.

Speaking of which, I finally made a decision: Last night, I started reading The Secret Garden. We read the first chapter. BeanBean did stop to ask questions and chat a bit (he's absolutely fascinated by the concept of an ayah; having never had a babysitter before this is perfectly understandable), and BeanBean insisted on sitting in front of me while I ran my finger under the words. That slowed me down immensely, because I never EVER trace words when I'm reading naturally. I've had to teach myself to do it with picture books, because BeanBean is quite insistant; doing it with an actual novel was real work for me.

#319 of 390 Old 01-04-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Speaking of which, I finally made a decision: Last night, I started reading The Secret Garden. We read the first chapter. BeanBean did stop to ask questions and chat a bit (he's absolutely fascinated by the concept of an ayah; having never had a babysitter before this is perfectly understandable), and BeanBean insisted on sitting in front of me while I ran my finger under the words. That slowed me down immensely, because I never EVER trace words when I'm reading naturally. I've had to teach myself to do it with picture books, because BeanBean is quite insistant; doing it with an actual novel was real work for me.
Good choice, that was one of my favourite books as a child. I have to do the word tracing too at ds' insistence.

I was going to suggest the Little House books, my dad read those to us when we were young, and I loved them.
#320 of 390 Old 01-04-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapajama
Happily subscribing

I have two boys ages 17 mos and 3 1/2. As all our little friends go off to preschool, I have started to feel more and more like I am homeschooling ds1....(snip)..... My 3 year old wants to do things that the baby (er toddler) can't do. Story time at the library has become impossible for us because the baby isn't able to sit through it. Or, some grandiose art project that ds wants to do is constantly being trashed by the baby. That has been huge challenge for us.
Hugs,
Michelle
Hi! Our kids are the same age . I still think of DD as a little baby even though I know she isn't.

I might be wrong in doing this, but I tell DS that DD is just curious about what he is doing. DS loves to put together train tracks and do pattern blocks and gets mad when DD joins in. I try to deter DD with a similar activity is she's being too bothersome, but she is so intrested in what DS is doing sometimes I can't. I made them both art smocks for things that get messy and have them each at a seperate end of the table if they disturb each other. I save things for DS I really don't want DD doing for when she is napping (DS gave up naps more than a year ago). I figure that we're a family who does everything together so the kids better get used to it
#321 of 390 Old 01-04-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde
I might be wrong in doing this, but I tell DS that DD is just curious about what he is doing.
I do the same thing. Constantly. (I hesitate to comment, because my younger one is only 9 1/2 months old, but she does toddle and get into stuff and idolize dd1.) I think it's important for dd1 to have space to do some things alone if she wishes, though, including building and creating, so I also redirect a lot, which fortunately is often not hard with my dd2. Oh and another reason why I redirect is to prevent dd1 from ending up kicking or shoving dd2 away from her work. : I either give dd2 her own materials like dd1's, or distract her with another object/toy I know she loves, or do something else of my own that I can include her in. Occasionally dd2 is completely inexorable, like the time she was hellbent on getting to dd1's paint. That time I made her some edible "paint" and put her in the bathtub with it. Dd1 came in to see what was going on and ended up abandoning her paint to get in the bathtub and bodypaint and smear and splash with dd2. I find it very tiring to go places alone with the kids.

I imagine that the temperament of your particular kids makes a HUGE difference in this. My dd2 is so much quieter, physically, and easier to redirect than my dd1 was. For example, if we go to the library, dd2 is content to wander about the children's room watching people in fascination, and occasionally exploring a book by holding it the right way and turning the pages. HA! My dd1 would have made a beeline for the other end of the library and would have been knocking rows of books off the shelves before I caught up with her. If she'd opened a book, she would have torn the pages. I have real sympathy for anyone who has their monkey kid second (or third, or fourth, or whatever).

Oye Yemaya oloto
#322 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 AM

Has anyone read the books by E.D. Hirsch "What your Kindergartner Needs to Know" and the series goes up to 6th grade? I just got them and am wondering what others opinions are?
#323 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 AM

for your helpful ideas. I'm going to do the notebook thing. I think Aiden will really like that. Also, I have bookmarked your website. Regarding playmates, he does have some who have been part of a playgroup since he was an infant. The playgroup has sort of fallen apart for various reasons, but we are still pretty close to the moms and kids. The three other moms have since also had second babies. We still get together with one or more families about every week. The thing is, having Aiden around other children is far from a break for me because even though he is very verbal, he also expresses himself physically which, if it's in a friendly gesture (like a hug) is overwhelming for the other kids and if it's in frustration or anger is hurtful for the other kids SO I find myself really stressed when we are with other people. Of course, I have been working on this with him his whole life, and he is learning and really does much much better these days, but I still can't just sit on the bench at the playground with the other moms while he runs and plays with the other kids. I'm not sure if I'm giving you a real picture of him; it's just that it seems everything he does is with great intensity. Also, he is in a gymnastics class one hour a week so he has that experience with other kids as well. He wants to play soccer this spring, and I think we will try it. We have belonged to a homeschool group for over two years, and we do participate in some of the activities.
#324 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyGirlTwinsAPMama
Has anyone read the books by E.D. Hirsch "What your Kindergartner Needs to Know" and the series goes up to 6th grade? I just got them and am wondering what others opinions are?
I don't like his books. They have a very limited view of what 'everyone' should know. See: http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publicatio.../homepage.html for both sides of the 'Hirsch controversy'.
#325 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Erin, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Your kids sounds like they have the temperments of mine (although DD is starting to show her independance in a BIG way). DS was/is so busy at all times but DD will usually happily sit and play with whatever you give her. However, she's starting to realize there's a busy world outside herself and wants to be involved, which is making it harder now. She loves to mimic everything big brother is doing. He's starting to become impatient with her so I have to step up with deterants. The worst is the train set so maybe I can just give her one of DS's old ones (although we all love the wooden one so much more ).

I got some books yesterday (most were for me, yay!!). I had to laugh at DS. I ordered some pentominos mostly because I wanted to try to figure them out (and they were cheap). I did order a workbook to go with them as I later wanted DS to work with them. As soon as I opened the box, he grabbed the pentominoes, the book and went at them. I got him a couple of books I thought he'd love but DD ended up making off with them!

One book I got was "In Their Own Way" which is to help you figure out your child's learning style. It had a little section recommending homeschooling so at least I know it's not anti-homeschool. I think I'll start that today. DS seems to learn in so many different ways that I need to understand how to best serve his needs. I know that putting him in school would definately be the wrong way to go. I know kids change a lot between 3 and 5 but I still can't picture him sitting quietly for most of the day. About the only thing he sits for is his computer games but he still gets up and runs around every 5 minutes, lol!
#326 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 PM

I didn't like those books, either. They seemed to be pretty useless to me; I thought I was the only one. Thanks, eternal_grace!

I'm going to have to find "In Their Own Way," I'd like to do a more formal assessment of BeanBean's learning style (just because I'm a geek, not because I think that terribly much will change, but more information is always fun to have ). Sounds like a fun project for mamma.

Last night, I fell asleep before the kids so I couldn't read to BeanBean. I felt guilty when I woke up, especially because I know that he was looking for The Secret Garden (I put it on a high shelf so BooBah couldn't eat it) for me to read to him last night. I'll make it up to him by reading to him when he wakes up. He's such a love, though, my sweet little man... We're going to have to start an earlier bedtime routine.

#327 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 PM

I'll give a review of it when I'm done . I've started it and I'm nodding right along with all that I'm writing. It's talking about how the "learning disabled" label is so damaging as many of the kids who are called LD just learn differently. DH is considered LD but he is extremely intelligent in many regards (namely numbers and music).

I have a feeling that this book will solidify my resolve to homeschool (not that it's weak but I will be able to point at this book and say "See???"). Joh Holt was one of the many people consulted on the manuscript, so that had me intrested (the book was from '87 but so much of it rings true of even today).
#328 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde
I'll give a review of it when I'm done . I've started it and I'm nodding right along with all that I'm writing. It's talking about how the "learning disabled" label is so damaging as many of the kids who are called LD just learn differently. DH is considered LD but he is extremely intelligent in many regards (namely numbers and music).

I have a feeling that this book will solidify my resolve to homeschool (not that it's weak but I will be able to point at this book and say "See???"). Joh Holt was one of the many people consulted on the manuscript, so that had me intrested (the book was from '87 but so much of it rings true of even today).
This sounds very interesting. I'll be interested in a review too.
#329 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 08:03 PM

Just wanted to join the thread! Haven't had a chance to read allll the posts but from what I'm reading, you all know lots of what I need to know! Ds1 is 2.5 and ds2 is almost 1.5. They're very young but I'm starting to school ds1 because he seems to be pretty bright. He knows numbers, colours, and we are working on his alphabet this week. It is scary how fast they can learn at this age! I have no idea if we'll homeschool them later on - not too many people do preschool around here anyways.

What I'm wondering is - as far as teaching reading is concerning - I know there are a few different methods out there. Any suggestions? My friend's son has Downs, he's 4, and she's teaching him via a method where it's just looking at actual words (long ones, too), no phonics or anything.

What are you doing?
#330 of 390 Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_grace
I don't like his books. They have a very limited view of what 'everyone' should know. See: http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publicatio.../homepage.html for both sides of the 'Hirsch controversy'.
Thanks for that link - I'm bookmarking it. The irony is that the stuff he lists is fun to go through and read, but it leaves me cold when the word "should" is put in front. I had all the books - thought they looked interesting and got them on a good sale - and they were fun to just skim and pick through, read this and that from, but I'd hate to think of anyone taking the message of force feeding it all seriously. My next door neighbors, both very academic in background with advanced degrees, enjoyed reading through the 2nd grade one and laughing about all the things in it that they didn't know - there's a lot of concisely written and interesting trivia in there. Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page