Homeschooling preschoolers support thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 390 Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know any homeschoolers locally who use Singapore? Because we actually found that we didn't need the workbook for 1A at all. There was plenty of review in the text books for my son. I know everyone's different, but maybe if someone local could let you borrow theirs for a week, you might find that you really don't need them after all.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 390 Old 12-01-2005, 08:01 PM

I don't know anyone who uses Singapore locally, no. In fact, I don't know anyone right now who's home educating a kindergarten/first grade level child, except for two families who are radically unschooling (no formal math at all) and one Christian family using Saxon (which I couldn't see BeanBean standing for).

BeanBean is a very visually-oriented child. He likes to see things, it really helps him to wrap his head around the ideas. I think that moving a crayon around on a paper helps him to solidify things in his head a lot, too, which is why I'd like to try the workbooks. He's making solid, reliable progress but I think that reinforcement would really help him along.

Do any of you have younger children who want to "do school" too? Younger meaning, even if they were going to regular public school, they wouldn't be going to preschool for a while yet.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#183 of 390 Old 12-01-2005, 08:24 PM

My two year old loves to "do school". I have a curriculum for him (letter of the week prep) but I don't follow it much. But he has "his website" (starfall) that he loves to do and whenever I'm on the computer he rushes to do it. He also likes to do flashcards (made them for him to carry around and look at but he frequently brings them to me for me to read to him). When he sees my sister doing her schoolwork he sometimes likes to have his notebook (blank sketch book) and some writing tool (crayons, colored pencils, etc) so he can work beside her. Very cute. But mostly he just loves his website and would do it all the time if I let him.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#184 of 390 Old 12-01-2005, 11:09 PM

Rynna,
I may have an extra copy of Earlybird 2B (which IMO is like Primary 1A). If you would like it.
#185 of 390 Old 12-02-2005, 04:44 AM

Splendid, that would be too cool! You rock!

Tonight after the kids fell asleep and I had time to look around, I found First Language Lessons. This made me happy, but not as happy as what happened earlier today. BeanBean climbed up behind me in the chair and asked, "Are you mommy or daddy?" "Why do you ask?" I replied. "Well, 'daddy' is a noun, and 'mommy' is a noun, so you would still be a noun, right?" It was BeanBean humor! He had the funniest look on his face, he was just waiting for me to laugh the whole time! Silly kid. He's really starting to play with words a lot and it's just so freaking cool to watch!

About 10 minutes after I posted on another thread that BeanBean had no interest in writing, I went downstairs to find him making circles in an attempt to write the word "jet." Just goes to show you that at this age, they can literally change from one minute to the next. Before today, I'd seen very little evidence of interest in any sort of writing at all, but this afternoon he spent ages having me write letters and then tracing them and trying to write his own. I suppose it's time to look for kindergarten-width writing paper for the kiddo. Here I was, thinking that I would introduce writing after he was reading fluently and he just jumps in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2
My two year old loves to "do school". I have a curriculum for him (letter of the week prep) but I don't follow it much. But he has "his website" (starfall) that he loves to do and whenever I'm on the computer he rushes to do it. He also likes to do flashcards (made them for him to carry around and look at but he frequently brings them to me for me to read to him). When he sees my sister doing her schoolwork he sometimes likes to have his notebook (blank sketch book) and some writing tool (crayons, colored pencils, etc) so he can work beside her. Very cute. But mostly he just loves his website and would do it all the time if I let him.
I don't think that my daughter is really ready to do school, though she does have a very long attention span. What gets me is her insane desire to read and write and count and... well, do everything that her brother is doing, only for longer and more consistantly. I'm not really sure what to do with her. I've been reading to her, answering her questions and counting along, but I feel guilty for "doing school" with her a lot of the time. :

#186 of 390 Old 12-04-2005, 05:19 PM

How's everyone doing?

I am more determined than ever to get DS reading. I don't think I'm going to wait to get a program, just get some easy books and go! I know he's ready. I'm placing a HUGE bookcloseouts order. They have some of the coolest stuff! They even have magnetic words and letters. I was going to get an acabus, but I decided I would rather get more books. I'm getting about 10 Dick and Jane books plus a hands on geometry set. I think I have more than 40 books and it's less than $70 : . A lot are gifts and stuff for me so I don't feel bad about it (ps, if anyone orders there and wants a coupon and to help a mama out, let me know. I'm an affiliate and it's my only personal source of income. I'm my own best customer, lol!!)

This week we will be doing a lot of Christmas crafts. We decorated most of last week. We'll make ornaments, cookies, garlands and cards. It should be a lot of fun . We're really getting in the Christmas spirit around here.
#187 of 390 Old 12-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Carla, sounds like fun!

I'm a big fan of the "fill a bag" booksale, myself. I'm not visually-spatially gifted, but I can fill a small back with books so tightly that I actually have to cut the bag open to get them out again.

We're doing pretty well. I'm considering starting some religious work with BeanBean, like maybe doing the parsha of the week with him. Dunno how that will work but I think it could be fun and helpful, plus it will give us something else to do. I know it's almost impossible to believe, given BeanBean's age, but he seems to have too much free time during the day... and I refuse to sit for any longer than we do to work on the same lessons (nothing for more than a 15-20 minute block, if he isn't directing). I mean, I *could* spend an hour doing First Language Lessons with him or something like that, but I think that he gets what he's going to get in the first 10-15 minutes, and that if we were to keep going he would start losing not only interest but information, you know? The way it works now, he's very interested in coming back for more and I want it to stay that way!

I'm still conflicted about BooBah, though. She really wants to do the things that her brother does, though, and I've thought about getting her some things to color or whatever... but I just don't know what to do with her. If our computer wasn't dying, I'd print big coloring pages out for her or something. I've looked over some coloring books and pre-k educational books for BooBah (the kind you get at the grocery store/k-mart/wal-mart) but nothing seems appropriate for her. What to do, what to do...

#188 of 390 Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 PM

We're on the Christmas theme here too!

-We made an advent calendar- I'm just realizing that my dd1 recognizes most numbers and I've never worked on that with her at all.

-We've been reading about the holiday- religious stories.
Also reading stories like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

-We got a Christmas tree and decorated it. We made our own ornanments too.
-Making ornaments, cards, and other girfts for family.
-Wrote to Sanata this morning. What great writing she's doing!!!

My dd2 is 24 months and loves to play along with us when we do "activities" or "Mama School." She loves to paint so she often paints while dd1 writes. Other times she colors with markers. She tells me what to write on her paper. She makes the crafty stuff with us- loves scissors and glue. I try to adjust the activity their interests and readiness. We talk about colors a lot. She knows them but still asks me so she's still very interested in identifying them. She also likes matching so we do different games where I ask her to find the match/make a pair. I just have to gently remind dd1 to give dd2 a chance to come up with the answer. Dd1 likes to answer and show her so I'm working on teaching her to encourage dd2 to do it for herself.
#189 of 390 Old 12-04-2005, 09:13 PM

Just been reading here mainly. She's just so excited she can read. We started reading the beginning reader books and have moved on to more advanced books. She's also really getting into signing more, so we've been working on introducing some more signs.
#190 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 AM

All our friends are in preschool...except the homeschoolers who are always at home with themselves. Oh, how I wish the SAHM moms with kids who homeschool could play during the day. BUT, I'm not a very good housekeeper. I want to homeschool my son but have to get better organized first. When anyone asks us if he's in preschool we say, "no, we're homeschooling for preschool." I AM NOT sending him to ANY school early-better late than early is our standard for decision making. He's so smart, though. Sucks up everything in the world like a sponge. We go on all the homeschool fieldtrips appropriate in our area for preschool age. We go to MOPS so he gets some group socialization. We watch lots of Noggin and Dora. You should hear his spanish and problem solving skills. He knows all his colors and can count to fifteen by pointing and counting. He sings and sings including the ABC's. We're kind of montessori in our living space-he can access all the good stuff. I can't cook without getting him to help me and he loves it. He loves to glue right now so we make gift bags for birthdays and christmas. When he plays he always needs his tools, like his Daddy and Bob the Builder. Guess we're unschooling, really. I'm more inclined to live in teh city and take him places all the time. He does love to socialize but as long as I'll get out the playdough, he'll hang with me....and as long as we make it to the playground regularly.

Years ago, this would have been anything a SAHM mom would have done. Funny I have to lable us now. Good thread.
#191 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 AM

Another late comer here! And I actually read the whole thread before posting!

DD is mostly tv free but much to my chagrin, she spends a good amount of time on the computer. She loves www.uptoten.com. Our computer is in a central and convenient location in our house and I don't think that's going to change. So I'm going to have to make the best of it, which won't be too hard given all the educational content available.

I followed 'Slow and Steady, Get me Ready' for awhile but then stopped due to lack of interest on her part. Recently I looked at what we should be doing for her age and she already knows that stuff so I've reshelved it for now as well.

I too am interested in classical homeschooling. I just ordered WTM.

I am super-psyched because yesterday I found that a local store has a relatively extensive homeschooling section (I've lived in this small town for 3 years and never imagined).

Lately I have been trying to introduce her to French. The website she loves so well can be switched into French (as well as several other languages) and the songs she has memorized can then serve as a foreign language learning tool.

She is also OBSESSED with the movie about the little orphan Annie. She would watch it everyday if we let her and has been this way since August! I haven't shown her any other movies hoping that she will get sick of 'Annie' and forget about the whole thing. But now I have ordered the dvd with French and Spanish versions so I can make this educational as well.

Her other strange obsession is mushrooms...go figure.
#192 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 AM

I forgot to mention that I am currently reading, What's Going on in There 'How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life'. I just started it. It's written by a neurologist/mother (Lise Eliot, PhD). Has anyone else read this? I will let you all know what I find out.
#193 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 AM

Jessie- My dd is obssesed with mushrooms too! How funny they are.

Hey everyone, I am jumping in late here. We are HS dd who is 3 (since yesterday). I am interested in TWTM and so far I am seeing how it may work for dd. She isnt very visual but picks things up faster than I want her to when it comes to hearing. (Ya know like bad words. <sheepish smiley here>) She is a very verbal child, talking since before she was 1. Right now we are mainly just reading everything we get our hands on. She has been really into praying mantises and dinosaurs so we have been devouring info on those topics.

I am subbing and will post more later. I am glad the OP started this thead.

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#194 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 04:51 AM

Praying mantises! Two or three months ago, I found one on the side of the IL's house and called BeanBean over to look at it because it was cool. Ever since then, he's been pointing them out everywhere and talking about them with people. He really thought it was cool that it was so big for a bug (the biggest bug he'd ever seen!) but so small compared to himself, and he's a little boy. He was also very relieved to learn that they eat bugs and leaves and not people.

He seems to remember everything that he hears, though, and he never forgets. Last week we were in Wal-mart and I picked up a package of little boy's Finding Nemo underpants to check the sizes. BeanBean saw Nemo on the package and said, "Mamma, look! It's a clownfish anemone! That is so COOL!"

#195 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasymomma
Sucks up everything in the world like a sponge.
Right on! Welcome to you and SuperStar as well :

Ok RayeAnne has a new interest as of late:
dominoes.
We have always played the game in the way of matching the numbers/colors etc, but now we are doing it the fun way... We have a couple sets so we were setting them up as an obstacle course the other day, and I told her that we should get some blocks and build steps for them to go up and down and under, etc. But then we realized that the block set was at Nama's, so we scratched that. Then a couple of minutes later she looks up and says "I have an idea, let's use the dominoes as steps - we'll just lay them flat!" Totally thinking outside the box! It didn't even occur to me to do that.... So that's what we did, and we had quite a good time after that

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#196 of 390 Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
He seems to remember everything that he hears, though, and he never forgets. Last week we were in Wal-mart and I picked up a package of little boy's Finding Nemo underpants to check the sizes. BeanBean saw Nemo on the package and said, "Mamma, look! It's a clownfish anemone! That is so COOL!"
LOL that is cute. My own Wal-Mart story isnt so cute, but funny. I dont shop there and one day I needed to pick up something so I pulled into the lot. Dd asks where we are I say "Nasty Wal-Mart, a horrible company." Fast forward a month or so and Dh takes Dd to Wal-Mart. They walk in the store where Dh stops an employee and Dd (bless her heart) look straight at the man and says "Wal Mart is Nasty, its a horrible company." Dh about choked. The worker laughed and smiled at her. I love it.

Today is our Library day so I cant wait to see what strikes her interest today.

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#197 of 390 Old 12-08-2005, 01:36 AM

Chiming in here. My son is almost 3 and a half and we've decided to homeschool too.

Will post more after I read more. This thread is just what I've been looking for - .
#198 of 390 Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM

Hi! I've glanced at this thread a few times, but haven't been sure whether my input would be intrusive. I've been working for some time on assembling a whole set of articles and links to websites that have lots of ideas about - and activities for - young children up through kindergarten age. There's some great stuff in here: Preschool and kindergarten learning activities. You'll probably notice that it has a slant away from academic studies, but I've been thinking about it, and I guess I wouldn't consider it to be about "unschooling" so much as just age appropriate approaches. Regardless, there are lots of ideas that can be incorporated within any home.

The articles are from a variety of sources - from unschoolers to eclectic homeschoolers to professional educational and writers of all kinds - including a fascinating historical account by Vivian Gussin Paley, an award winning former preschool and kindergarten teacher with 37 years experience. My site isn't commercial at all - we all have our pet causes, and these kind of issues just happen to be mine right now - have been for a long time. So I hope some of you enjoy the page. Lillian
#199 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 09:59 AM

So, what kind of day do you all manage to have? Mostly at home or out having adventures? What does your house end up like? I'm trying to figure it all out....
#200 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J
So I hope some of you enjoy the page. Lillian
Thanks. I am enjoying the page.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#201 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasyMama
So, what kind of day do you all manage to have? Mostly at home or out having adventures? What does your house end up like? I'm trying to figure it all out....

Hi gang,

My daugther Mia is almost 3 and we live in NC. I have been meaning to join this thread.
Anyhow, right now my house looks total chaos and no, the mental image you have right now does not do it justice !!! There is paper, crayons, markers and pastels all over the table, blocks and puzzles all over the living room floor, piles and piles of laundry and a gazillions books spread out all through the house. Life is absolutely fabulous and I would not have it any other way.
We have been spending time with our homeschool friends. We recently went to the theater and next week we will be attending a ballet recital. They are very active and have activities ranging from Spanish class to science lessons. Given Mia's age we mostly go to their unstructured play dates or anything involving art, animals or dance. We are out of the house alot but then we spend 2 days in a row inside the house so that dd can spend some time alone and have the opportunity to play or just mess around and then I tried and clean lol. I am very laid back about things and have a feeling that we might turn out to have a very very relaxed homeschool philosophy.

#202 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 08:08 PM

Hi everyone ~ I'm joining very late, but just found this thread and wanted to chime in.

I homeschool and currently have an 8th grader, a 7th grader with special needs, a 1st grader with special needs and twin preschoolers, both with special needs. I also have a 2 year old and am 6 months pregnant with my last baby.

We're pretty traditional homeschoolers, though I use an eclectic mix of curriculum versus subscribing to one particular publisher.

My twins are delayed, especially when compared to all of the preschoolers I've read about on this forum. They aren't interested in writing or anything remotely academic. After 2 years of working with him, my 4 year old autistic son has finally learned his colors and shapes. My 4 year old daughter knows colors, shapes and numbers 0-9. We're working on her learning letters, but it's extremely slow-going. Having kids with special needs, I have to not compare my kids to everyone else's (otherwise I'd be totally depressed). My mantra is that they'll get there....they may not read until they're 9 years old, but eventually they *will* read. Everything just takes longer with them and they definitely aren't as curious and interested in the world like everyone else's kids seem to be. I didn't even really realize that until I read this thread.

Anyhow, I'll probably just lurk and read more than participate because my preschoolers aren't doing the same things yours all are, but I wanted to at least say "hi" and let you know I'm out here!
#203 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3g3b
I didn't even really realize that until I read this thread.
I'm thinking the average level of academic inclination on this thread is quite a bit higher than the true average, since some parents are here looking for support to homeschool specifically because their kids showed an early interest in reading.

I am in awe of you! You're probably tired of hearing that, but wow...it is just hard for me to even imagine the exhaustion I would feel homeschooling a large family, with special needs, while pregnant. Already with just two little ones with whom I am very unambitious I feel like I need a L O N G B R E A K.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#204 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedGlamour
Anyhow, right now my house looks total chaos and no, the mental image you have right now does not do it justice !!!
Actually, the mental image I have is quite clear...so clear that it's almost like I can see the total chaos right in front of me...wait, that's my living room!

Oye Yemaya oloto
#205 of 390 Old 12-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Ohh! I wanna lurk around for a bit if you guys don't mind.

My DD is just 15 months now but I'm already incorporating ideas from a few Montessori @ home books into our play.
When she's 4-ish, I might enroll her in the local preschool coop 2 days a week but that's just for fun!
I haven't read thru the entire thread but I'm hoping we can throw some ideas around here... I'm always up for suggestions & inspiration!
#206 of 390 Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
My twins are delayed, especially when compared to all of the preschoolers I've read about on this forum. They aren't interested in writing or anything remotely academic. After 2 years of working with him, my 4 year old autistic son has finally learned his colors and shapes. My 4 year old daughter knows colors, shapes and numbers 0-9. We're working on her learning letters, but it's extremely slow-going.
Oh, but they really aren't behind! They're very young to be worrying about letters, and it isn't at all surprising that it's taking awhile. If they don't seem to be as interested in the world as others, you have lots of time to focus on that aspect of their lives and leave the academics till later - just finding ways to make the world a more interesting place. I think you can find some real encouragement and ideas in the page of articles and links I recently posted about: preschool/kindergarten learning activities, as well as great ideas here, but many of the children mentioned here just happen to be early readers, which is fine but not the norm. - Lillian
#207 of 390 Old 12-11-2005, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminer
Actually, the mental image I have is quite clear...so clear that it's almost like I can see the total chaos right in front of me...wait, that's my living room!
#208 of 390 Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 AM

Quote:
My twins are delayed, especially when compared to all of the preschoolers I've read about on this forum. They aren't interested in writing or anything remotely academic. After 2 years of working with him, my 4 year old autistic son has finally learned his colors and shapes. My 4 year old daughter knows colors, shapes and numbers 0-9. We're working on her learning letters, but it's extremely slow-going. Having kids with special needs, I have to not compare my kids to everyone else's (otherwise I'd be totally depressed). My mantra is that they'll get there....they may not read until they're 9 years old, but eventually they *will* read. Everything just takes longer with them and they definitely aren't as curious and interested in the world like everyone else's kids seem to be. I didn't even really realize that until I read this thread.
They don't sound delayed to me, really. I think that this thread might provide you with a slightly skewed idea of reality; there are several people on it in particular who are formally home educating their preschool aged children because they're gifted. In my experience, parents of younger children seem less likely to think of themselves as homeschoolers when the children are interested in normal childhood activities, for the most part. Many of us are here (on this thread) looking for support because our young children are dragging us kicking and screaming into the world of formal education before anyone thought that they'd be ready. I definately wouldn't worry about your twins based on what you read here!

#209 of 390 Old 12-11-2005, 05:38 AM

My daughter is 2 1/2 and we're planning on home schooling. Haven't started anything formal yet but I do work on her vocabulary with her. We read a lot of books and point things out, I repeat words back to her to make sure she learns the correct pronunciation. She counts to 4, says abc and has a huge vocab so I think we're doing pretty good so far. I'm a little scared to be honest of when we I really start teaching her a structured curriculum but I'm more scared of sending her to a public school!

I've already had a few people ask me when she will start going to school. It's just expected around here, everybody sends their kids off to public school as soon as they are old enough.

I've also prepared by making sure I can meet the legal requirements in my state for college credits etc.

Great thread! I love reading about home schooling
#210 of 390 Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 AM

Quote:
your all mistaken, it has to be mine! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page