I Hate School!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2002, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PS

I was a wall stare er.

I hated being interupted! It is quite possible she is "busy".

I'm sure the rest of the time, you fill her life with fun. Don't stop, and I am sure everything will just creap into her life.

Hope this helps.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2002, 04:04 PM

Dear Sandra,

A couple of things come to mind when reading all of this. Is your child getting enough sleep? Is she eating well? By well, I mean fresh Organic food, plenty of protein (if meat, is it hormone and antibiotic free, or wild?). What is her sugar intake like? I am horrified that someone would suggest candy, especially something so full of dyes as M&M's, as a learning aid. My daughter falls completely apart an hour or so after one homemade cookie. Have you tried any soothing herbal teas when you get into a conflict? It is a nice time-out ritual. Try making a lemon balm (Melissa), catnip, and chamomile tea with a pinch of lavendar flowers.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:10 PM

oops- I'm new to this and did not mean to be finished yet.
Anyway, If your dd is interested in being physically active, by all means validate this interest. Really try to support what she is interested in doing.
The last thing I want to address is the staring at the wall. My mother in law tells stories about my husband getting into all kinds of conflicts with his teachers at school. Instead of playing at recess, he would "just sit there." They thought there was something wrong with him and that he needed to be held back a grade. As it turned out, he was very intensely thinking. Just sitting and thinking. It doesn't look like much to an observer. Maybe your daughter has so much whirling around in her mind, that it is very hard for her to concentrate on someone trying to tell her to do something. I say, watch her sleep, her water (please give her well filtered water to drink or herbal tea unsweetened, not juice!), and her diet, and let her do things that make her feel good, and really validate that so she knows you're on her side. And good luck!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Herra - We are trying to make sure she gets enough to drink. This is definitly a problem area. We have also started her on vitemin supplements and something to fight yeast. my friend said these made a world of difference for her child. She won't drink tea unless I put a load of honey in it witch defeats the purpose. She is such a picky eater. I am sure there are places in her diet that are lacking.

She is doing better. We have ditched math for now. She even enjoys reading (we bought pink books. go figure) and we are using a different kind of paper for writing which make it much easier for her (she has always enjoyed writing but I think all the cluttered lines oon "first grade paper" stressed her out.

Thanks everybody for your imput.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 02-05-2002, 03:36 AM

Pink Books!!??!! Where did you find pink books? My DD loves ANYTHING pink.

I'm so glad to hear that things are going better for you and your DD!
Old 02-10-2002, 10:17 PM

lilyka---have you read John Holt's Learning All the Time? I just did. Although ds is only 22 months, we are planning to unschool and starting to read up on it now. This book just helped me relax about the whole learning thing and how to go about it. Children learn to read on their own, and the more we make it about "lessons" and covering certain material, etc, the more they resist, because it's just not natural. It sounds like you're headed more in this direction, but just wanted to share.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boobykinmamma
Children learn to read on their own, and the more we make it about "lessons" and covering certain material, etc, the more they resist, because it's just not natural.
Millions of people have learned to read by being taught. Many kids have taught themselves to read. There is more than 1 path, and oddly, they seem to end up in about the same place.

I've read Holt and found him very moving, but his observations do not ring true with my own children, who like having lessons.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

grrr, am I the only one constantly loosing posts on this board? Anyway. . . .

The pink books were BOB books. We told her she had to read them in order, to get to the pink opnes. Now she is continuing in case there are more pink books somewhere down the road. And you know they weren't just pink books, they were pink and purple

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 02-11-2002, 03:21 AM

Which sets have you'all used? Which ones are pink and purple?

Ali doesn't have to do lessons if she doesn't want to, but if she does them she has to do them in order. She tried skipping around in her Get Set for the Code book and got really frustrated. It goes so better in order!
Old 02-12-2002, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

The pink ones are in level A Set 2 (the second box). There are only 2 pink ones but pink is pretty powerful motivator around here.

User Tag List