Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder..To med or not to med? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2005, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
while I had already known the colors were bad and msg also - but Fiengold researches companies and finds the hidden stuff. Things like sprayed preservatives on cereal bag liners. yuck! Many oranges found in stores have coloring added to make them more appealing. also stay clear of BHT and TBHQ. I also found on the diet that after that initial cleansing time things that others can't have we did fine with. Most important is weaning off everything then slowly adding safe foods back to see what can be tolerated. I try to stay away from most packaged foods - even if it says its safe..... I just don't trust anything

theres a yahoo fiengold board too that you can find out info on. The website itself has a messege board also but have to have the membership to access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 01:30 PM

and you'll also find that homeschooling them will go long ways to feed their need to multi-task.

My hyper child would bounce on the trampoline while I asked math questions , she'd wiggle and stretch while reading to her , she'd play with manipulatives while I talked on another subject , she does all her handwriting sheets on the floor with a crayon (she likes the texture better...like me she hates the sound of the pencil on paper)..... homeschooling your adhd kids , you'll find will make them less adhd.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd uses ritalin, but one bottle lasts us a year. We homeschool through an online charter school because we love the curriculum and they have to provide special ed for her because they are a public school. Along with using this program comes the mandatory yearly testing. Testing is a week long, and Dani takes meds for testing week. We've also used it on days where she's having a particularly difficult time concentrating. She decides when she needs them....and besides testing week I'd say we use less than 20 pills per YEAR.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 PM

I have one!!! That is how we ended up homeschooling ( now unschooling)....we started with Feingold...HUGE difference in just 24 hours, we tried attend too...it has CLOVES in it...a high salicylate food....so that didn't work....I have read that sports is a key in this....DS plays soccer and right now we are workin on the Presidential Fitness thingy with the homeschool group....and while its not a team sport, we do all get together and work on the exercises once a week. I also dress him up and have him outside almost EVERYDAY unless its 35 and raining...but if its snowing...he's out there!!!

I haven't tried the omegga 3's yet, but nowthat I know about the primrose Oil, I'll be trying that.

We have also done TONS of research into being "Right Brained" which has helped tremendously too....

And I have to say, that he is SO MUCH BETTER than he was at 6....sometimes I think that age helps and part of it they do just outgrow....the other part we all have to learn to adapt to....either him and his behavior or the rest of us to his temperament.

Good Luck!!! Susan
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 AM

Just wanted to add...
There is a guy named Dr. Mel Levine who has written several books about how we learn and has founded an organization to address differences in learning http://www.allkindsofminds.org/

I read one of his books...I think it was called "A Mind at a Time" and thought it was very useful. I don't think he is completley anti medication, but he does believe there is a lot of stuff to try before medications and in fact you should know very specifically what the learning strengths and weaknesses of a person are before you medicate.

Good luck. I hope it makes you feel powerful that there are so many options out there.

Casey
Old 12-08-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morning glory
Just wanted to add...
There is a guy named Dr. Mel Levine who has written several books about how we learn and has founded an organization to address differences in learning http://www.allkindsofminds.org/

I read one of his books...I think it was called "A Mind at a Time" and thought it was very useful.
I LOVED this book! Levine is anti-homeschooling, which I find hilarious, because the book is just one big argument FOR HS, IMO. He only mentions HS twice in the whole book, and one of those is positive (the other is half a paragraph saying that HS is ok as a temporary solution, but you should send your child back to school after the problems are solved). I really think that every parent should read it! I know it helped me understand so much about MYSELF, let alone my children.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
I LOVED this book! Levine is anti-homeschooling, which I find hilarious, because the book is just one big argument FOR HS, IMO.
I had the exact same reaction! I started reading his books when ds was still in school and the school was making noises about there being a problem. I was SURE he would come to the conclusion that hsing was a great solution...had to laugh when he didn't. Overall, I found his books usefull for navigating school/doctors/family.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM

I just ran across this lovely article archived in the Home Education Magazine site, and thought of this thread!
Reading and Perpetual Motion.
Lillian
Old 12-08-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J
I just ran across this lovely article archived in the Home Education Magazine site, and thought of this thread!
Reading and Perpetual Motion. Lillian
Lillian, you have taught me so much. Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 PM

I have been reading all of your posts and just called my SIL to give her some of this info. My Nephew is having all sorts of issues with his ADD. THey have him on meds. (Not sure which ones though) He began losing his appetite and the backed the meds down some. I shared a bunch of this info with her and she is going to try it. He is a sweet boy whose energy is often mis-directed. I an hoping some of these things will help the dear boy. Again thank you.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiewaif
I have been reading all of your posts and just called my SIL to give her some of this info.
- Lillian
Old 12-09-2005, 04:16 PM

Only you can decide if it will do her more harm to go without the meds. To what depth is the ADD really affecting her life, both academically and socially? I agree that you need a much better assessment than the 10 minute GP visit.

Our oldest was born 3 months premature and had some hemmorhaging in her brain. Perhaps that's the cause of her ADD, or perhaps she inherited it from her Mama (Ritalin made me a zombie too--my parents took me off it after 2 weeks. Strattera as an adult messed me up.) but in any case...she's seriously ADD.

After years of failed attempts at behavior modification, we finally brought our eight year old daughter to have a comprehensive physical, social, psychological, and academic evaluation. We rolled our eyes when they said she had ADD and we might want to consider meds. I wasn't aware of the natural alternatives out there, and may have tried them first, but we did start doing lots of ADD research. We got her into behavioral therapy. When she worsened we broke down and asked the Dr. about Adderall.

We were, and continued to be, floored at how it has helped her. She's no longer scoffed at and looked at with ridicule by other children because she acts like an 8 year old, and not like a 4-5 year old. She no longer rubs her hands all over people she goes up to. She can read non-verbal cues, and has the presence of mind to control herself when the situation requires it. It kicks in early, and by bedtime it's out of her system and you can clearly tell she's "off" it, but by that time who cares? We're about to re-integrate her into social activities, because we think she won't be a disruption anymore. And she's no zombie, either. She's the person she wanted to be before, but it's easier for her to do it, now. Her grades were already good, but her attitude towards school has greatly improved. Her frustration is at an all-time low, and her self esteem is the best its been in years.

As a parent of 5 children under 9 years old, I can say my house is a nicer place to be. My 6 year old no longer has my 8 year old feeding into her bad behavior, so her behavior is improving as an extra bonus. Mom isn't mentally/emotionally worn out by noon and has more to give to the others. That makes a big difference, especially when Mom is dealing with ADD/slight depression herself.

If your lifestyle permits, and you're willing, I think dietary changes and natural alternatives are highly worth a try. Eliminating MSG, if you haven't already, would work wonders. Dr. Daniel Amen in his book Healing ADD gives great advice for natural supplements that I have been using on myself. I don't think all ADD children need meds, as the anecdotes in this thread clearly show, but when you've run out of options and your child is miserable and frustrated, meds are worth a shot. As I told my reluctant dh, if it doesn't work, we pull her off it. If it does work, she may actually have a chance at a good childhood (i.e. friends and social activities) and we cannot deny her that.

CC
Old 12-10-2005, 01:15 PM

It's nice to see this discussed openly and respectfully. I'm glad there are families out there for whom going "no meds" is a good safe choice. Gives me hope that others can go that route as well!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Very interesting thread. It's nice to see posters replying respectfully to each other about the different options. Making the decision to medicate must be a very difficult and emotional one.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeg
Very interesting thread. It's nice to see posters replying respectfully to each other about the different options. Making the decision to medicate must be a very difficult and emotional one.
So true, I'm trully touched that people here where willing to share all they did. I know sooooo much more then I did a week ago. Thanks you all. and so does it's members.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well well well... thought I'd share.. and bump this thread up to the top since I personal found it very helpful (thought maybe it might help someone else out too)
Just got my Feingold program in the mail...I'm very excited. At the moment I'm sipping on the hot lemon drink suggected in it (yummy, and the kids like it too). I'm going to introduce a few new things now until New Years Eve. We'll "start" the program at the beginning of 2006. That way I get time to try a few things out, and get my head wrapped around the whole idea.

I'd like to thank those that took the time to explain the program to me, and that shared their experiences with me . Big hug to you all.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess
AngelBee, you don't know how much your post means to me. Dance is my dd's life too; she has planned all the parts she wants to dance, and after she's older she wants to start a school. But there has been that voice in the back of our heads wondering if her ADHD would get in the way of that. You've given me so much hope!

(sorry for the highjack)
ADHD will not get in her way in dance.....it will be her wings to bring her to the new level

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-26-2005, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjoe
Well well well... thought I'd share.. and bump this thread up to the top since I personal found it very helpful (thought maybe it might help someone else out too)
Just got my Feingold program in the mail...I'm very excited. At the moment I'm sipping on the hot lemon drink suggected in it (yummy, and the kids like it too). I'm going to introduce a few new things now until New Years Eve. We'll "start" the program at the beginning of 2006. That way I get time to try a few things out, and get my head wrapped around the whole idea.

I'd like to thank those that took the time to explain the program to me, and that shared their experiences with me . Big hug to you all.
I think I too may go that route.

Thank you for the update!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 PM

Scatterbrained Child Rearing, by Gwen J. Broude
An article about two books:

The Myth of the First Three Years: A New Understanding of Early Brain Development and Lifelong Learning, by John T. Bruer
And
Reclaiming Our Children: A Healing Plan for a Nation in Crisis, by Peter R. Breggin

Excerpt:
"The medicalization of children's behavior may be lethal in ways that Breggin does not mention. As Bruer tells us, children respond to the environment at their own pace. Some psychologists have begun to suggest that this allows youngsters to fine-tune basic competencies before taking up the challenge of developing more sophisticated ones. We see this self-pacing in the way that children naturally regulate the amount of stimulation to which they will respond. Babies turn their heads away if you try to get in their faces. When there is too much going on around them, infants will go to sleep on you. Basically, children tune out stimulation for which they are not ready.

This is consistent with the observation that children have shorter attention spans than adults, and some psychologists think this is not a design flaw. Rather, it may be a limitation that allows children to eventually become smarter adults. Now, think of what drugging children diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may do. You've got a child who doesn't pay attention as much as adults would like, so some educator decides to drug the kid up so that he will sit still and tune in for a more sustained period of time. If psychologists are right in saying that tuning out is the child's way of regulating his own orderly acquisition of competencies, then artificially tinkering with the child's attention span could be disastrous."
Very interesting reading!
EDITED TO ADD NOTE: Since posting this, I did a fast search on Dr. Breggin, and found that he's actually quite contoversial, which is not surprising. I didn't dig into it, but if you're interested in his book, you might want to do some of your own research on the controversy.

- Lillian
Old 12-27-2005, 04:33 PM

so glad you have a positive outlook!! I hope the fg program works for you. If you need any help or questions pm me
Old 12-29-2005, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie-n-hertwoboys
so glad you have a positive outlook!! I hope the fg program works for you. If you need any help or questions pm me
Thanks.. I starting "cleaning out" my kitchen today... getting ready for the first. I'm looking forward to trying this.

User Tag List