Nanny 911 Homeschooling family *tonight*! 12/19 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 130 Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well mu computer's too slow for my patience, so I've only read the 1st and last page of this thread. I really enjoyed the show! With that trailer of the "sheltering" parents, I was afraid to watch. But those parents were so full of love and so was the nanny. It seemed obvious to me that the nanny truly wanted to help them! I'm all for co-sleeping and homeschooling, but they had 6 boys for cryin-out-loud! You've GOT to have some structure in a house like that! It is ridiculous for that mo to never see her husband at night b/c he feels the need to lie with each child individually until they fall asleep.

I was actually surprised by some of the things they did, considering the number and ages of their boys. Like the falling asleep situation and unorganized homeschooling method. I've known lots of large homeschooling families and they all seem to network with eachother, learn eachothers tricks, etc. The mom on the show gave the impression that she hadn't done any strategizing with other large families. I think if I had that large a family and could see my husbands behaviour/issues, and was aware my homeschooling methods were so unorganized, and had no others moms of large HS'ing families to bounce ideas off of, I may too have called in a professional to give some pointers!

Another reason I liked it so much is because it was only a week or two ago, that I was completely disgusted to turn on the TV to "Trading Spouses" and their AWFUL depiction of an unschooling family. The nanny show put them all in a good, positive light, and it's always fun to see babies nursing on network TV!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#122 of 130 Old 12-24-2005, 03:28 AM

Personally , if I was the mother of six boys , I'd be thrilled that the daddy took it upon himself to lie with the children and give them personal attention each night. It would give me time to bathe , wind down , plan for the following day , enjoy a fluff romance book , go to sleep early....

IF , and that's a big IF , the mom wanting her hubby at night and not with the kids wasn't a script for the cameras...then I'd say she's very selfish. She gets him all night long, let the kids have him for an hour or so at bedtime.

And the homeschooling...it was said before and beautifully by another poster , ( that I can't remember right now) , that if the ONLY thing Nanny could find wrong with the homeschooling was to add file folders...then I'd say they were doing a mighty fine job all on their own.
#123 of 130 Old 12-24-2005, 11:31 AM

Jen, did you watch the show?

She did give the mom file folders. She put them on a teachers desk that she also got for them. So mom could actually have some space that was hers. She also got cubbies for the kids to have their own work seperated in. Before it really was pretty chaotic. She also made a "no dog in the classroom" rule.

"She gets him all night long" yes, sleeping. It's not selfish at all to want to see and talk to your husband while he's actually AWAKE! Lying with 6 kids indivually takes hours!! By the time he was done, she's asleep, and then he falls asleep, too. So she basically NEVER got any alone time with her DH.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#124 of 130 Old 12-25-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
Personally , if I was the mother of six boys , I'd be thrilled that the daddy took it upon himself to lie with the children and give them personal attention each night. It would give me time to bathe , wind down , plan for the following day , enjoy a fluff romance book , go to sleep early....

I agree. My dh puts one, sometimes two, of our kids to bed. I do the rest. The older ones are fairly easy but I still enjoy reading them books and that takes a long time. Our bedtime isn't really over until at least 10 pm and then I have to plan for the next day. I never get any time to myself and dh usually falls asleep putting one of the kids to bed. If he doesn't fall asleep he gets up and watches TV until he does. I make an effort at least one night/week to stay awake and pursue playing a board game with him or something. Having and homeschooling 6 kids is a big committment and IMO making the dad look like HE was selfish for wanting to put them to bed was awful. Esp. the 4 month old and the toddler.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#125 of 130 Old 12-26-2005, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderjoint
I think being in regular school was good for me because it's one of the "normal" activities I did get to do. I didn't see this show, so I didn't see the severity of his SB or how he went about his life, so maybe I think this way due to my experiences. I guess I think that if you have a physical disability you should try to do regular things including school. Maybe I'm wrong, and if hsing works for this child and his family that's great.
Amy, I can see that you're making a sincere effort to be open-minded and diplomatic here about your differences with the homeschooling point of view - and I'm not trying to engage you in debate - but I think it might be helpful for your understanding to realize that many people consider homeschooling to BE both a "normal" activity and a "regular" thing! - Lillian
#126 of 130 Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 PM

I can see where a child with a disability would feel good about doing "regular" things, like going to school with peers, and how that would be important for self esteem in a child who may already feel marginalized. In this case, though, the homeschooling was not limited to that particular child, it was the norm in their house. I think that's an important distinction.
#127 of 130 Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 AM

Yes, I'm trying very hard and enjoying learning about different types of education and enjoying learning about them as well. I probably put alot of my own experiences in my post. I see what your saying about hs being a normal and regular thing.
#128 of 130 Old 12-27-2005, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderjoint
Yes, I'm trying very hard and enjoying learning about different types of education and enjoying learning about them as well. I probably put alot of my own experiences in my post. I see what your saying about hs being a normal and regular thing.
Okay, here's some more information/opinion to mull over at some point - largely compiled from a number of interesting books:
Schooling: Liberation or Mind Control?, by Richard Heinberg.

I remember when I first heard of homeschooling, and it didn't seem to me like such a great idea at the time either. But I look back many years later and can't even imagine what it would have been like if we hadn't discovered it and made it our lifestyle. It's hard to even express how grateful many of us are for the gifts and opportunities it's provided for our families. - Lillian
#129 of 130 Old 12-27-2005, 12:09 PM

Lillian...I just finished that article....it was amazing!

For years I've lived with the label Learning Disabled and thought to myself "there's nothing wrong with me" and I struggled against it , until I moved and no one knew my history. I've silently thought there is no such thing as LD.....and his article touches on that very same point. I smiled and giggled to myself. Thank you.
#130 of 130 Old 12-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
For years I've lived with the label Learning Disabled and thought to myself "there's nothing wrong with me" and I struggled against it , until I moved and no one knew my history. I've silently thought there is no such thing as LD.....and his article touches on that very same point. I smiled and giggled to myself. Thank you.
Oh, my gosh! How nice to hear this helped. Well, you can read a bunch of articles by Tom Armstrong on his website: articles by Thomas Armstrong. And here's one I like by Michael Meyerhoff: Differences vs. Deficits. Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page