Nanny 911 Homeschooling family *tonight*! 12/19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On 12/19 Nanny 911 is going to feature a homeschooling mom of 6 (I think?). I just hope Nanny won't be talking them into putting them in school. On the preview she said something like, "And she's so overprotective of them that she schools them at home." Let's see what happens . . . :

http://www.fox.com/nanny911/

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 PM

oh goody. Another yelling screaming disorganized homeschooling family that treats their children poorly. Of course hs'ing is at the root. No doubt they family will see the light and begin to public school.

oh gag.
#3 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
oh goody. Another yelling screaming disorganized homeschooling family that treats their children poorly. Of course hs'ing is at the root. No doubt they family will see the light and begin to public school.

oh gag.

click on the link and watch the preview, I didn't see any yelling

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Dern. The video wouldn't play for me. I can only imagine how the show will go though.
#5 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM

"when most parents breathe a sigh of relief that they've shuffled their kids out the door and onto the school bus, Vicki is just getting started setting up lesson plans in the living room"

Gag me with an eraser! I feel sorry for the parents who "breathe a sigh of relief"

That is so horrible!

And in that video, there was the mom sitting there saying that school is a dangerous place, and then they flash over to the boys fighting. ARG! I wonder how many parents were considering homeschooling and now won't.

I hope that they don't make homeschooling to be this horrible thing that scares parents away.

Olivia
#6 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynkenblynken&nod
"when most parents breathe a sigh of relief that they've shuffled their kids out the door and onto the school bus, Vicki is just getting started setting up lesson plans in the living room"

Gag me with an eraser! I feel sorry for the parents who "breathe a sigh of relief"

That is so horrible!

And in that video, there was the mom sitting there saying that school is a dangerous place, and then they flash over to the boys fighting.
Oh, but hey! Maybe Nanny will tell Vicki all about unschooling, and when she gives it a whirl, the kids won't have so much reason to act out!

Sorry! I just couldn't resist! The whole thing makes me want to find something to laugh about - I almost don't even want to see it... It's hard to understand how those parents could allow this to happen...
- Lillian
#7 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 05:24 PM

WHY would a family who has chosen to homeschool anyway, want to bring in "an authority" on how best to raise children?

Much less on national TV?

This is fishy. And I agree, it smells like a setup!
#8 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
WHY would a family who has chosen to homeschool anyway, want to bring in "an authority" on how best to raise children?

Well, this probably isn't very kind - but who knows what their motivations for homeschooling are? Maybe they're people who didn't have a good sense of how to go about homeschooling in the first place. Maybe they just fell into it and have been struggling with it. Maybe they've had problems with effective parenting all along. Maybe they're in overwhelm with all those kids so close to the same age, and they've grown up in the habit of turning to authority figures when they're in a pinch, but they simply don't see the public schools as real authority figures. A part of me wants to tune in and see what image is being put out there to the public, but a part of me doesn't even want to be subjected to it. One thing about it - people would be pretty silly to think that family represents homeschooling anymore than the other families who appear on it represent public schooling. - Lillian
#9 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I totally agree!
#10 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM

I'm SO glad my ILs don't get cable.

Not that they would watch Nanny 911 if they did, but they just might tune in to see a hsing family. That's probably what is more dangerous -- not potential hsers being turned off of it, but extended family (or reluctant SOs) being turned against it.

My dh was at his parents' place for a couple of days this weekend, and apparently hs came up. He's a great guy, not really sold on homeschooling, but he defended it the best he could. And his parents are really great ILs, they are just concerned, and while they are too polite to bring it up with me around, they were probably asking him some pointed questions.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#11 of 130 Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 PM

Ooh, I watched the video and she also breastfeeds. Woder if the'll say anything about that. I'm pretty sure the nursling was over 6 mos.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#12 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 01:35 AM

It seems like alot of these nanny shows feature largish type families that can't keep the kids "under control". Now they are adding homeschooling into it. I'm a little nervous about it. I don't generally watch TV but am hoping to catch this episode. What channel and time is it?

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
It seems like alot of these nanny shows feature largish type families that can't keep the kids "under control". Now they are adding homeschooling into it. I'm a little nervous about it. I don't generally watch TV but am hoping to catch this episode. What channel and time is it?

It's on Fox and it shows at 8PM my time. Check your local listings.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 09:58 AM

I thought it boded ill that the dad was saying something like, "She didn't ask me how I felt about homeschooling, she said 'I'm homeschooling.'"

I hope it doesn't turn into unreasonable (homeschooling) mom versus reasonable (send them to school) dad.

Namaste!
#15 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 10:14 AM

Well, given that the nanny shows are vehemently anti-AP I'm not surprised to see that the next 'over-controlling, unhealthy co-dependence promoting' parental choice on their target agenda is homeschooling.
#16 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 AM

//
#17 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Fwiw, I don't totally hate all of this nanny's advice. I hate the naughty corner and I hate her bedtime rules, but I think in general she gives gentler, more consistent tools to people who are otherwise way too clueless to even know where to start. These parents would otherwise be really demeaning and awful, and the nanny doesn't tolerate that from the parents.

So, anyway, I think the hsing episode will suck. Nanny is pretty focused on independence and I'm not sure I want to watch.
#18 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjalo
Fwiw, I don't totally hate all of this nanny's advice. I hate the naughty corner and I hate her bedtime rules, but I think in general she gives gentler, more consistent tools to people who are otherwise way too clueless to even know where to start. These parents would otherwise be really demeaning and awful, and the nanny doesn't tolerate that from the parents.

So, anyway, I think the hsing episode will suck. Nanny is pretty focused on independence and I'm not sure I want to watch.

I think you may be thinking of Supernanny. This one is Nanny 911 when they pick one of three nannies to go to the chosen house.

I'm interested in seeing the episode just to see how they handle it. For those who don't normally watch, it's on Monday night on Fox.
#19 of 130 Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 PM

oh, yea, that could be. It's that same one, Jo, or whatever. Is Nanny 911 worse than her?
#20 of 130 Old 12-15-2005, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjalo
oh, yea, that could be. It's that same one, Jo, or whatever. Is Nanny 911 worse than her?

Jo seems to have a more laid back approach where the nannies on 911 are more stern and to the point. Kwim? Jo gives constructive critisism (sp) (ie: here's where it's going wrong-this is how you fix it-warm hug when accomplished) where the others seem to lay out the rules and roll their eyes when things don't go according to plan. They do get the job done, I just don't like how they handle themselves.

As I'm sure you can tell, I like Jo so much more than the others.
#21 of 130 Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM

Maybe the mom in this episode is a MDC mama?
you never know !
#22 of 130 Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjarine
Maybe the mom in this episode is a MDC mama?
you never know !
you know something you're not telling?
#23 of 130 Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Well, I remember vaguely that there was a thread, a producer from the show, asking for volunteers to be on the show. I believe it paid...was it $10K or $20K??? Someone help me here...hmmm....
#24 of 130 Old 12-17-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
nope i dont know anything.. she just seems to fit the mdc mama type by some of the things in the short video for the episode.
so did anyone watch this episode, i dont think this one was on in canada yet.
#25 of 130 Old 12-18-2005, 10:56 PM

I am on another homeschooling list. There is a member who is a friend of this family. She says that the family was approached at a mall where auditons were being held. The money was a big pull and they decided to do it. The family is not allowed to discuss the process for something like a year, but this other mom has given a little bit of information.

Things like the crew setting up the kids by encouraging them trash their room and coaxing comments out of the kids that they wouldn't normally say. Also things like letting the bunny out of its cage, and according to this friend, at one point the crew let the dog into the house while the mom was trying to do lessons at the table. Oh, yeah, they filmed it during the summer and the kids weren't too happy about having to do "school" in the summer.

Like all "reality shows", real usually isn't exciting enough and things have to be staged to make it more rating friendly.

My house was clean this morning,
Sorry you missed it.
#26 of 130 Old 12-18-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMommy
I am on another homeschooling list. There is a member who is a friend of this family. She says that the family was approached at a mall where auditons were being held. The money was a big pull and they decided to do it. The family is not allowed to discuss the process for something like a year, but this other mom has given a little bit of information.

Things like the crew setting up the kids by encouraging them trash their room and coaxing comments out of the kids that they wouldn't normally say. Also things like letting the bunny out of its cage, and according to this friend, at one point the crew let the dog into the house while the mom was trying to do lessons at the table. Like all "reality shows", real usually isn't exciting enough and things have to be staged to make it more rating friendly.
Ugh.

Shows like this make me sick, and this is why.
#27 of 130 Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I do not believe in reality TV. I think every show is set up.
#28 of 130 Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass
I do not believe in reality TV. I think every show is set up.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#29 of 130 Old 12-19-2005, 01:17 AM

I admit that I could use the cash, but I cannot imagine having MY worst moments and my kids' worst moments on national TV.

Mostly just subscribing to the thread so that in case someone watches it, they dish!
#30 of 130 Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page