Any Saxon users here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-18-2003, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use Saxon math and about to receive Saxon phonics for
ds#2.
He used to be unschooling wired but after all the therapy he decided he like more structure ...
meanwhile the brothers saxon stuff sits since he has decided to go back to being four again .....
#2 of 7 Old 01-18-2003, 05:39 PM

We use Saxon math and like it alot.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

I love Saxon math for the higher grades. DS is 13 (8th grade)and about 1/2 finished with Algebra 1/2. It has bee na long time since I sat in an algebra class. I was really worried about not being able to teach him beyond the basics. Saxon makes it so easy for both of us.
#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Saxon math is the best!

I collect math textbooks to research the best way to teach math, and believe me, it is THE best.

ABeka is a close second.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 06:04 PM

When my kids were ready for math, you used and are using Saxon

Granolamom
#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice
Saxon math is the best!

I collect math textbooks to research the best way to teach math, and believe me, it is THE best.

ABeka is a close second.
Well.... I don't think that there is such a thing as "THE best." I just don't. Different things work better for different kids/families for different reasons. The extreme amount of review in Saxon drives some kids bonkers. It is far, far more than they need.

I'm glad that you've found something that you love, but there are many great options. Personally, I find it helpful when people say WHY they like what they like, how the curriculum fits a particular learning style, etc.
#7 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Saxon Math was developed in the 1960's by John Saxon, a retired Airforce officer who did not like the "New Math" that was taking over curricula in America at the time. I remember alot of set theory and philosophy in my fourth grade math class. I spent all of sixth grade "translating" numbers from base ten to other number systems and bases and then back to base ten. I had the same lessons in my teacher preparation classes in graduate school.

Saxon was a teacher at the time and the reason there is an exteme amount of review in his books is b/c he noted that he would teach a skill and work for a period of time on one math skill, and meanwhile many of the students would lose their acuity in their other skills.

John Saxon worked w/ Jaime Escalante in the 1980's ("Stand and Deliver", and subject of the book, "The Best Teacher In America" ) in developing excellent math lessons and curricula. Excalante wanted his high school math students to come in to high school prepared to do high school level math. Many of them did not even have basic skills.

I do like it b/c it is is very thorough. For the homeschooling family, no skill will be missed in my humble opinion if you use Saxon Math. It is just very practical and concise.

LAUSD has banned the Saxon series b/c they have determined it to be too "simplistic". Meanwhile, my best friend took her child out of LAUSD b/c the teacher taught math to everyone using only cuisinaire rods. I know cuisinaire rods are excellent for children who have quantity and perceptual problems, but it is not for every child.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page