The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (The Movie) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
That's where the Christian allegory part plays in. Grace , mercy and forgiveness.
I haven't seen this movie, but these values are not uniquely Christian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjalo
I haven't seen this movie, but these values are not uniquely Christian.
Oh! I know that! I hope I didn't imply that they were. CSLewis was a christian and wrote it from that point of view. It was written as a Christian allegory. That's why I brought it up.

The scene with Lucy forgiving Mr.Tomnus was supposed to show mercy grace and forgiveness. ( that's what my Christian friend told me)
#33 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually Lewis was very clear that this was not an allagory. It is a suposition. as in suppose a place like narnia existed and suppose it needed redeeming. how do you suppose it would it look in that world. It was never intended to be an allagory. but he did intend for Aslan to be the Christ figure and the Emoror across the Sea is God.

carry on . . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#34 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
My 5 y/o liked it, but my 10 y/o and I left the theater for the Aslan scene. It was terribly sad and frightening!! I still can't believe that was in a (marketed) children's movie.
That scene was important to the book, many events in the book led up to it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#35 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 11:09 PM

My apologies. I stand corrected.

I just found this: Did C.S. Lewis Create Narnia as an Allegory?

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-3206.html

Fascinating. And a bit odd.
#36 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5
That scene was important to the book, many events in the book led up to it.
plathius~ I realize that. Visually, my dd and I found it quite terrifying. I was sad, but also angry at the White Witch. I could never watch Passion of the Christ, either. We read the books awhile ago and weren't prepared for the scene being big screened. The movie also moved quite a bit faster than the books, making the jumps more abrupt for us. Dd is quite sensitive (as is Ben) and I feel I should have viewed the movie first or just not taken them. My poor judgement.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#37 of 50 Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 PM

There are a lot of movies that we watch before we let ds see them, for the reasons you mentioned.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#38 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 AM

jen - sorry if I sounded snarky. that was not my intention. people get mad because as an allagory it is not a very good one. also I think it is cool as a jenre? to have supposition. It would be a fun way to write that I never learned about in school. So I think it is cool.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#39 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Yes, Lucy going with Mr. Tumnus so quickly was, uh, interesting...faun or not

My dd is still talking about it and how scary it was. She has read Harry Potter and even seen some of the films...but she felt 'Narnia' was scarier. I think some of it went over Ben's head, but I regret taking him and hope some of those images have left him.
I can't resist saying....
Hi Joan!!

FWIW, dd and I LOVE Harry Potter. (We didn't read any of the books, she's not there yet , but we both loved the movies.) Though there is violence, it didn't compare to the violence/torture and intensity of Narnia. It wasn't killing for the sake of killing and hating for the sake of hating.
#40 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
I can't resist saying....
Hi Joan!!

FWIW, dd and I LOVE Harry Potter. (We didn't read any of the books, she's not there yet , but we both loved the movies.) Though there is violence, it didn't compare to the violence/torture and intensity of Narnia. It wasn't killing for the sake of killing and hating for the sake of hating.
Michelle

Yes, that's exactly it.

As far as not seeing it before we took the kids, I think we got a little over exicted with it being the holiday (we saw it the week before Christmas). The kids saw the trailer and Ben was eager to see it.

#41 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
jen - sorry if I sounded snarky. that was not my intention. people get mad because as an allagory it is not a very good one. also I think it is cool as a jenre? to have supposition. It would be a fun way to write that I never learned about in school. So I think it is cool.
Nope you didn't sound snarky. I know that wasn't your intention.

I have been told for years that Lewis wrote that as an allegory. I'm glad you corrected me. I'd never heard of "supposititon". I kinda wonder if Lewis made it up on his own. It kinda seems like splitting hairs , imo.
#42 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 PM

We saw it yesterday. I had my reservations, but all in all the kids did very well. Alexander, who is 4, spent a couple of scenes in the hallway getting candy (which I asked for at specific times) with Daddy. Holden snoozed on my lap through most of the movie.

I agree with the person who likened the violence in Narnia to the LOTR. I thought that as well.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#43 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
umbrella - have you read the book. I really think the down played the battle scenes.
That's rather irrelevant, imo, regarding the issue of ratings for the movie. This was extremely violent for something being portrayed as "for children."
#44 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
I'd never heard of "supposititon". I kinda wonder if Lewis made it up on his own.
According to the link that was posted (and a quick search), it seems that Lewis did make up this genre.
#45 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella
This was extremely violent for something being portrayed as "for children."
Yes, it does seem odd to me that this would be marketed for "children". Is it? I honestly haven't seen any of the marketing....

I think the appropriateness of this movie would depend on the child. Although I do think it would be a perfect movie for older kids/teens. So still children--but not little kids.
#46 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 06:03 PM

I just didn't think it was that violent. especially if you knew the story. I thought most of the violent scenes were lame an unbelieveable. more like demo fighting in martial arts (the wsord fight between peter and the witch especially).

#47 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 06:10 PM

I thought the TORTURE/ MURDER scene of Aslan was horrific. I even knew he was computer genrated. Ellie kept her head in my lap for the battle scenes, we left the theater as Aslan left the girls in the forest. I only peeked in mysel and was sorry I did.

Yes, the movie was a Disney movie and marketed to children.

#48 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 06:15 PM

This is the funniest little rap video spoof - a couple on their way to see Narnia! This might not be one you'll want to show your kids, unless you have no objection to rap videos:

http://mp.danwho.net/index.php?id=snl_chronic_narnia

I wasn't able to view it on my Mac - needed a plug-in I don't have - but my son showed it to me on his PC. - Lillian
#49 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 08:21 PM

Disney heavily marketed the movie (on the Disney Channel especially).

I know Disney ethics are questionable as it is (big business at the expense of children's welfare), but it's a sad money-hungry day when you have to screen a Disney movie (intended for children) before letting your kids see it.

Aslan scene vs. movies w/a swear word= same rating (PG)
#50 of 50 Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 PM

I have sen that rap. it is hilarious!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page