The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (The Movie) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2005, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have (2) 5 1/2 year old children whom I homeschool. We just finished reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and yesterday we went and saw the movie. I just wanted to share with you that it was a great movie--with absolutely incredible special effects--but very intense. I think it was a bit too much for kids my children's age. Luckily, after reading the book, they knew what to expect, so they weren't freaked out as much as they could have been. I think the movie is probably more appropriate for kids 7 - 8 years and older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2005, 04:49 PM

I have to agree. I saw it first thankfully with my husband so when we took the kids I was prepared to pull out my son for the taunting and killing of the lion. So fantastic though huh?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We took ds to see it the day it came out. We'd managed to read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series aloud at bedtime over the summer, so ds knew what it would be about. He loved it. Dh and I loved it. The sacrifice of Aslan was hard to watch, but it was important to the story.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 12-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Good to know. We are reading the book right now, and dh wants to take dd to see it. Gonna have to think about that.....
Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 PM

I took my 5yo and I would say that she was okay with it, but a more sensitive child may not be. She likes to watch surgeries on TV and has watched graphic birth videos so she can handle a lot. I agree though, about the part where they taunted the lion. I was also about to pull her out.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 PM

I think this version is pretty much spoiler free.

I was a bit disappointed. *ducks flying debris*

It wasn't bad! I'll totally get it on DVD. But, I went into it expecting to come out of it saying, "WOW! I wanna see it AGAIN!" I didn't.

There were a few changes from the book that weren't necessary to make the transition to film, which I felt actually detracted from the story, and the special effects weren't as special as I thought they were going to be.

The actors, however, were phenomenal! That's not clear enough. They were amazing, astounding, extraordinary, fantastic, marvelous, outstanding, remarkable, sensational, and wondrous. Even in the worst of the scenes, it wasn't the child actors who couldn't pull it off. They were 100% believable every step of the way. They perfected every head tilt and blink. They had inflection mastered in a way that puts to shame some overpaid adult actors (*cough* Cruise *cough*).

I still don't buy Liam Neeson as Aslan. I understand that James Earl Jones is over used in that type of role, but Neeson just doesn't scream "God's animagus" to me.

But, even with all that, I did enjoy it, and I will buy it on DVD, and my kids will watch it 100 times at LEAST, and I'll probably watch it a few times with them.

For the more detailed version, click here ---> WARNING, CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!.

ETA: Both my 7 & 5 year olds went with me. My 5 year old said that she had to close her eyes once, but that it wasn't a "scary movie." 7 year old was 100% fine.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
Old 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
There were a few changes from the book that weren't necessary to make the transition to film, which I felt actually detracted from the story...
Can you say what they were without ruining it for people who haven't seen it yet? I saw it and couldn't remember all the details. I'd love to know what was changed.

I had mixed feelings - absolutely loved a lot of it, especially the visual perfection - and the children were everything you said - perfect! - but I felt a lot was lost when the book was simplified to a movie. I think those of us who loved the books probabably mentally add a lot of what we already know as we watch it - but I can see from some of the reviews that a lot was missed, simply because so much in the way of dialogue and thinking had to be left out. I have to wonder if Lewis' books are going to be oversimplified in the public's mind now by all those who will be seeing the movies but not reading the books - I've already seen some pretty stupid things in reviews. Thank heaven for those incredible child actors, though - what lovely role models.

Another thing my son pointed out was that Aslan's lips didn't move in the old English version - he was heard in their minds - which, for some of us, probably worked a lot better. I didn't particulary care for this Aslan at all - but maybe that has to do with the actor who played his voice (?)...

I found something oversimplified about the whole thing, but maybe that's because I loved the books so much.

Funny thing about the children is that some critic(s) complained that they should have spoken like contemporary American children! Can you just IMAGINE?!!! - Lillian
Old 12-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I LOVED this movie!! I took my 11yo and my 9yo to see it- the 4yo stayed home.

I read the book a few months ago and I thought the movie was pretty true to the book (except for the opening scene, which wasn't in the book but gives modern audiences some background.) Should somebody start a new thread with spoilers to discuss the specifics? I'd like to hear what you think was changed from the book.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J
Can you say what they were without ruining it for people who haven't seen it yet? I saw it and couldn't remember all the details. I'd love to know what was changed.
The major one was the waterfall scene. There were a few other ones, but it has been two weeks since I've seen it, and the details aren't as fresh in my mind.

Ulrike, mom to:
Old 12-27-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
The major one was the waterfall scene. There were a few other ones, but it has been two weeks since I've seen it, and the details aren't as fresh in my mind.
Well, I had to go read your blog about it - and the other review you linked to. They were very helpful. No wonder I came away from it with the feeling that something was off. There were a lot of things off, and I wasn't alone in that perception - I just didn't remember the original details the way others did. It was really beautiful, though - it just didn't come through with the kind of depth that could have made a lot more sense out of it all (especially the Aslan part) for someone who hadn't read the books. I must say I dread seeing the plastic Narnia toys and video games come along...- Lillian
Old 12-29-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J
I must say I dread seeing the plastic Narnia toys and video games come along...- Lillian[/COLOR]

Me too Lillian. It takes the magic out of it when it goes commercial.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 AM

Do you all know that there is a BBC version of the movie? My kids have seen that several times. My 5 year old was telling everyone what was going to happen next. She picked out a few errors. Plus we have read/listen to them book a couple of time. I think she remembers it better than me.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
Do you all know that there is a BBC version of the movie? My kids have seen that several times.
My ILs got the set of BBC Narnia movies for Roman last Christmas. He's watched them a LOT since then. I wasn't going to take Eva to the new Narnia movie, because she really didn't like the BBC version too much, but she saw me watching the trailers online, and asked to go, and she enjoyed it.

Ulrike, mom to:
Old 12-29-2005, 11:31 AM

I'll be the lone voice here, but I have to say it....we didn't care much for the movie. My 5 y/o liked it, but my 10 y/o and I left the theater for the Aslan scene. It was terribly sad and frightening!! I still can't believe that was in a (marketed) children's movie.

Overall, I was disappointed. I felt it moved quickly and and many of the nuances and relationships didn't translate on film. I really liked the Lucy and Mr. Tumnus scenes, the performance by the White Witch and the winter backdrop scenery.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 AM

DH and I saw the movie last night. I read the book ages ago (when I was around 11 or 12 probably). I barely remember the book -- it didn't make much of an impression on me for some reason. So I wasn't super gung-ho about seeing the movie. Unlike UlrikeDG, I was very pleasantly surprised! (Admitedly, I had pretty low expectations. ) Not remembering the book much, I wasn't really aware of what was different, but I thought it worked as a movie. I also thought the animal effects were excellent, although Lillian, I had forgotten that they heard Aslan's voice in their minds -- what in interesting (and potentially important) distinction!

I would never take my 5 y.o. dd to this film. She is very sensitive to any hint of scary-ness. She would have been making for the exit in the very first scene! It will be a long time before my kids see this movie. There were some super young kids (preschoolers) in the audience, which made me kind of uncomfortable. I felt bad for them being subjected to the more violent scenes in the movie, even if they could "handle it". Why should they *have* to handle such violent images at that age?

My only discomfort with the story (movie and book) is the glorification of warfare. I don't mind it as a story element -- it adds excitement and supense. But this is supposed to be a Christian allegory, and it made me uncomfortable in that respect. I understand that the battle could be a symbol for spiritual struggle, and the only humans involved were the children and perhaps the witch, who was at least "humaniod". Nevertheless, I was uncomfortable with the "holy war" feeling that came across -- that there was one side that was pure good ("our" side) and one side that was pure evil ("their side"). I don't think the image of war as good has a place in Christainity as I interpret it. That's my only gripe. I really did love the movie as a movie.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 PM

I've seen it twice. Loved it. Most of my church family has seen it also.

Allow me to ask a question.....

CSLewis wrote the series as an allegory to Christianity. I went last night to see the movie again with a lady who is not a Christian. She really wanted to see the movie. When it was over I asked her " do you think that was a Christian movie?" and she said she didn't think it was , but it could be if you looked for it.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties
I also thought the animal effects were excellent, although Lillian, I had forgotten that they heard Aslan's voice in their minds -- what in interesting (and potentially important) distinction!
Actually, I don't think that was the case in the books - it was just the way it was done in the BBC version. Funny thing is, I didn't realize what all was bothering me about Aslan in this movie until my son mentioned the lips - he hasn't seen it yet but had noticed that during the trailers.

Quote:
My only discomfort with the story (movie and book) is the glorification of warfare. I don't mind it as a story element -- it adds excitement and supense. But this is supposed to be a Christian allegory, and it made me uncomfortable in that respect. I understand that the battle could be a symbol for spiritual struggle, and the only humans involved were the children and perhaps the witch, who was at least "humaniod". Nevertheless, I was uncomfortable with the "holy war" feeling that came across -- that there was one side that was pure good ("our" side) and one side that was pure evil ("their side"). I don't think the image of war as good has a place in Christainity as I interpret it.
That was one of the things that, to me, came across differently in the film. In the books, there was just something very different about the battles. The courage and ability to find one's own strength when standing up for good was what came out in the books. Funny thing is, I didn't even get the Christian allegory when I read the books to my son! But I felt it was exaggerated in the movie to the point of over-simplifying the heart of it, if that makes sense... I think there have been precious few movies that have been able to really capture a book. - Lillian
Old 12-29-2005, 08:14 PM

We took dd today, and we all loved it. Conveniently, dd needed to use the potty during the Aslan scene. Perfect! I was worried about that--and she missed it all
None of the rest was too scary for her, although we did just read the book this week (so she knew pretty much what to expect)
Old 12-29-2005, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I liked it but it was not as good as I was hoping. I like that they left it bloodless. My 5 yo held her hands close to her eyes, ready to cover, but never did. but she was very familiar witht he story.

the kids were great, the witch was perefct! I htought Aslan could have been more grand. over all it lacked grandness and i think the extra scenes were a waste of time that could have been better spent on stuff that was actually in the book. I think it could have had a better score.

but it was good. my kids know the story so weren't overwhelmed by it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 AM

I thought the violence was just too much, and went on and on and on.

Really, I thought the rating should be PG 13, with how the violence was.

They had a technicality of not using fake blood though, so I assume that's how they got away with it. That was kind of stupid itself though. You see all this horrific violence, killing, a war with swords and what-not, and not one drop of blood on a sword that has killed many creatures.

So the fake blood is worse than the potrayal of the act of killing?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:13 AM

umbrella - have you read the book. I really think the down played the battle scenes.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:30 AM

Dd (almost 9) and I were both disappointed.

I have tried to raise dd without the push for violence on everything these days. I want her to see violence as it truly is, not entertainment. This movie, imo, ranked very near the same violence level as Lord of the Rings. During the violent scenes, all dd could do was frown and say a worried "ohhhh". I told her she didn't have to watch it, we could leave, but she decided to stay. Her friend was with us and was enjoying it so she didn't want to spoil it for her. Afterwards, her friend LOVED it, but dd was just quiet. I wished I didn't take them.

For me, it was not only too violent and intense, it had some bad messages imo.... for example, it's okay to trap and poison a child as long as "the devil/witch made you do it". Then, to top it off, the child will quickly forgive you, feel sorry for you, become your loyal friend for it and you will then be one of the favored characters/heros. I just couldn't believe that they got away with that victim-scenario in a children's movie, and played by a child no less! Scary.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
For me, it was not only too violent and intense, it had some bad messages imo.... for example, it's okay to trap and poison a child as long as "the devil/witch made you do it". Then, to top it off, the child will quickly forgive you, feel sorry for you, become your loyal friend for it and you will then be one of the favored characters/heros. I just couldn't believe that they got away with that victim-scenario in a children's movie, and played by a child no less! Scary.
That's where the Christian allegory part plays in. Grace , mercy and forgiveness.

I actually got all teary eyed at that part. That a small child who has been nearly kidnapped would be so forgiving and tender and show mercy and grace.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I just couldn't believe that they got away with that victim-scenario in a children's movie, and played by a child no less! Scary.
vs.

Quote:
That's where the Christian allegory part plays in. Grace , mercy and forgiveness.

I actually got all teary eyed at that part. That a small child who has been nearly kidnapped would be so forgiving and tender and show mercy and grace.
Wow - both good points! The really hard part in life is to be able to tell what is appropriate when. - Lillian
Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM

I took my son to see this (4 yrs) on Christmas Eve. I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed so many of the special effects and it really captured his attention almost the whole time but I feel that it was very intense with lots of violence in it.
I would not recommend taking children to see this until they are a bit older (9 or 10). Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM

I was disturbed just that she went off to his home so willingly. what was she thinking .. . did her mother teach her nothing?

but also he didn't kidnap her. he redeemed himself by sending her home and telling her not to come back. h confessed and refused to be a part of the witches scheme. and paid a high price for it.

and remember, this is sorta a fairy tale . . .

Old 12-30-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
I was disturbed just that she went off to his home so willingly. what was she thinking .. . did her mother teach her nothing?

but also he didn't kidnap her. he redeemed himself by sending her home and telling her not to come back. h confessed and refused to be a part of the witches scheme. and paid a high price for it.

and remember, this is sorta a fairy tale . . .
I agree. I confess, I only read the book because we are homeschoolers, it's not normally my cup of tea, classics and all that However, we thoroughly enjoyed the book this past summer and the movie. And, it is a fantasy.

It is disturbing that so much literature contains such violence, but history was quite a violent place. We try to keep it in perspective and also do a lot of talking.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:37 PM

We saw the movie. I thought it was incredibly violent for a child's movie! My 9 and a half year old was fine with it, but I would not show a movie with this much violence to a 4,5,or 6 year old. My three year old slept. We planned to go during his nap time.

With all that being said I really liked the movie but didn't love it. 4 out of 5 stars.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
I've seen it twice. Loved it. Most of my church family has seen it also.

Allow me to ask a question.....

CSLewis wrote the series as an allegory to Christianity. I went last night to see the movie again with a lady who is not a Christian. She really wanted to see the movie. When it was over I asked her " do you think that was a Christian movie?" and she said she didn't think it was , but it could be if you looked for it.

Thoughts?
To me the parallel between Aslan and Christ is obvious (most people at least know the basics of the story of Jesus's crucifixion and resurection.) But the rest of it seemed like just a good story that anyone with generally accepted values could have written -- being true to one's destiny, being brave, caring for others, good vs. evil, etc. I grew up in a strongly Christian, Bible-centered home, and I still couldn't see much in the way of allegory beyond the concept of Aslan taking the place of Edmund who for some reason (based on the "deep magic") "deserved" to be killed. Actually, I think this could be a turn-off for non-Christians who are looking for the allegory. If the creator of the deep magic is supposed to be God, then it seems pretty harsh of this God to have such a rule in place. But I have to admit, it fits as an allegory. The God of the Bible can seem to be harsh sometimes too.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 12-30-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
Dd (almost 9) and I were both disappointed.

I have tried to raise dd without the push for violence on everything these days. I want her to see violence as it truly is, not entertainment. This movie, imo, ranked very near the same violence level as Lord of the Rings. During the violent scenes, all dd could do was frown and say a worried "ohhhh". I told her she didn't have to watch it, we could leave, but she decided to stay. Her friend was with us and was enjoying it so she didn't want to spoil it for her. Afterwards, her friend LOVED it, but dd was just quiet. I wished I didn't take them.

Yes, Lucy going with Mr. Tumnus so quickly was, uh, interesting...faun or not

My dd is still talking about it and how scary it was. She has read Harry Potter and even seen some of the films...but she felt 'Narnia' was scarier. I think some of it went over Ben's head, but I regret taking him and hope some of those images have left him.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines

User Tag List