trying a FOURTH time helping others - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-21-2003, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep hitting the wrong buttons on dhs laptop ARGH
and wiping out my post!

ok after replying to another thread i got to wondering do you teach your kids to help others? do you teach them how to offer help gracefully? and how to deal with it if they offer and get a rude or mean response?

ours have been taught all of the above though the younger ones need help sometimes when rude is the response.

that asked what about service projects? How do you record yours?
I found a neat book at rocksolid that I am thinking about getting for all four kiddos its on clearance so I have to hurry and decide lol

we did one in december. the little ones helped pick things and pack it up.

we bought a huge diaper bag and overstuffed it. We put it boxes of nursing pads, cloth and disposables ( hard to get a washer where this was going-took it to the women's shelter) baby washrags,towels, wash pack, a pamper back for mom, a care kit with nail scissors etc, babyproof stuff and soo much more
We all contributed to the letter wishing well the person's new life
and the card had a service project by our homeschool name

the director loved it ! she said they never get enough baby stuff
they always get stuff for the older kids she said.

She said they always need linens because they let them take the towels and sheets with them to set up their new homes.
so in feb or march we will be doing this for that project.
my older two can do habitat this year so they will likely do it ..

anyone else have more neat stuff?
#2 of 3 Old 01-23-2003, 12:16 AM

We don't homeschool, but we do a lot of public service stuff. The best was a fun fair in the spring. We charged admission and then let the children play in our backyard. We set up the easel and a fish pond, bean bag toss, apple bobbing, marshmallow and toothpick building, and a few other things. The bigger kids put on a puppet show. Everyone got drinks and hotdogs and cookies. We invited everyone in the neighbourhood under the age of 10, and we asked the teens and preteens to help with the games. It was a blast, and we bought quite a few animals for families in the 3rd World through Heifer International, which was nice, too...
#3 of 3 Old 01-23-2003, 10:39 PM

I read somewhere that nursing homes are overrun with people singing carols and delivering treats at Christmas, but no one does much of anything for Valentine's Day. So delivering some treats to a nursing home on non-Christmas holidays could be fun and appreciated.

Our Girl Scout troop is stuffing backpacks for foster kids, including making blankets (lots of ideas from the Project Linus website on blanket making, BTW). They also clean the toys at a local domestic crisis shelter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page