Where Do I Start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2003, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the boards and have been reading everything so far about homeschooling. I have 3 girls ages 7, 4, and 16 mo. My 7 yr. old is my concern. she is in 2nd. To make a long (very long) story short, she is having a hard time paying attention at her public school. (we have looked into the option of mild ADD as well-but her school social worker feels it is not her problem) and very choatic. I vouleenter often and leave with a migraine. I have talked with her administators and worked with them thus far, but see no improvement. I spend up to two hours every night working with her on class workthat she did not get finished or couldn't understnad and couldnt get help because the teacher was 'too busy'. I am a stay at home, nuturing mother, and i know i can do this. But i have no idea where to start! I have done some research via the internet, but am overwhelmed with all the infomation. I am trying to find a good school to go through, but am not sure if that would be the best choice. How many are there out there? any suggestions as to which ones i should check out? I dont mind doing the research, i just dont know where to go.
thank you so much for all your help!!!
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 12:55 PM

Am I understanding right that you are looking for an umbrulla school. We use Clonlara which is in Ann Arbor. They send you the curriculum they use in their school (it's a private academy) but as a guide to what other kids are doing at a certain grade level. I personally like this. We mostly unschool and the people at clonlara are open totally to unschooling. Our experience with them has been very pleasant.

As far as starting. You daughter will let you know what she needs. Kids are sponges and love learning ona relaxed and fun level. My son is five and I can hardly keep up with all he wants to learn about. I put all we do in a portfolio and am amazed at all we cover naturally just by his interests.

I too think you can do it.
Holly
Old 01-23-2003, 02:14 PM

I would not hesitate to pull her out while you are deciding what to do, as she will need time to de-school anyway. Your first step should be to find out your state laws regarding homeschooling, and as soon as you can meet those you can bring her home.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:48 PM

Are there homeschool support groups in your area? Our local group leaders are a great source of info on local law and possibilities...they also "match up" families with experienced homeschool families if desired (sort of a mentor relationship).

BTW, a friend was considering pulling her kids out midyear and the local leader said basically the same thing khrisday did -- get them out of school even if you don't have your curriculum totally nailed down yet. This woman (the leader) is anti-unschooling but thought it was more important to get kids out of a negative situation than to have all the curriculum laid out ready to go.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:02 PM

A book I suggest is Tips & Tricks for Homeschooling Survival by Ann Lloyd. It's funny and helpful. It gives tips on keeping your sanity!

User Tag List