Anyone here use Calvert? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any comments from those who've used Calvert? How closely have you followed the lesson manual and recommended schedule? If you've used the Advisory Teaching Service, have you done so long-term? So far we are pretty happy with it, though we add and subtract and rearrange as meets our needs. I'd like to hear from others who've used it, whether you were/are happy with it or not. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 05:39 PM

Hey, i would like to know more about Clavert as well. We are in the process of looking into homeschooling for our daughter, and I came across Calvert and was wondering how well it worked for some. I am thinking that we will need the structure for her first time being home and away from school that Calvert has. Any comments?
Jen
Old 01-23-2003, 09:55 PM

will probably go with it again next year for DD

We followed the lesson manual pretty much -the schedule not so much. We usually finished earlier or later depending on the lesson. There were several days that we did double lessons and the manual layout lent itself to that.
I never used the ATS. I used to sub and I used to grade for other teachers so I could not see spending that kind of money for something I could do myself.
Jennifer I thought it was great for first time and to get your feet wet so to speak. At the end of the year I was able to tell for myself what dd's strengths and weaknesses were. The next year I designed her curriculum myself ( she has asked me to do that again but I said No for my own reasons lol)
Most of the people I know who use it have not used the ATS so can't help there ...
Old 01-23-2003, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

We are using the ATS. It is a bit of money, but we are unsure of our future plans; since we may be moving to another state, and I don't know what's in store educationally, I wanted the third-party transcript. It has some advantages too, in the transition between school and home. My daughter likes that aspect of it and I think she feels accountable to her advisory teacher as well. It's fun for the child to get the tests and other work back in the mail and read the comments. The feedback so far is excellent and includes wonderfully senstive constructive criticism.

On the whole I like the curriculum so far, though it still requires a lot of planning. I think you have to be careful with any boxed curriculum because you could just do the bare minimum and feel you're completing it. However, that's nice in a way if you're in a particularly busy time, or traveling, and need to get some work done anyway, rather than let it all slide because you can't create and administer it from scratch.

I will say the art lessons leave much to be desired and I simply ignore them. We do the "picture study," which is nice - postcards of famous works you put up for a while and discuss once, rotating them every few weeks. But the practical art lessons - not for us. We are really strong in that area, though, as I am a fiber artist and crafts person and daughter is a prolific artist herself in all media. If art is not a strong point in your family, I would suggest you rely on more than the Calvert plan there. What do others think?

User Tag List