Common Misconceptions about Homeschooling - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's hilarious. I swear, they spend half the day properly lining up at my daughter's school.
#92 of 107 Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 AM

ok you guys just cracked me up

my kids go once a week to the public school for 1/2 hour speech therapy

I sit there and wait for them and any time anyone asks me about hs my comment is the only thing I see them doing at the school is lining up

I swear in a 1/2 hour I must see every kid go up and down the hall at least 4 times and, of course, single file and absolutely no noise!!
#93 of 107 Old 04-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Oh this is a fun topic...

Some comments I've gotten or read:

"I could never do that, I don't have the patience/am not a naturally good teacher/can't explain things well."
----Presumably you taught your child to eat solid foods, walk, talk, use the potty, etc. Teaching him to read or add is no different. Why would you be fit to teach him for the 1st 5 years but not later?

"Teachers are the most important profession" combined with "Shouldn't you get a 'real job?"
----Teaching/taking care of other people's children is a real job but teaching/taking care of mine isn't?

"You shelter them too much. They should go to school to be exposed to opinions other than yours."
----Why? The world is full of (and run by) opinions different from mine. Mainstream society will try its hardest to indoctrinate them in mainstream opinions, why shouldn't I give my values a fighting chance?

"How can you be sure you're teaching them everything they need to know?"
----I'm not trying to. I teach them *how* to learn and find information and think logically, and they learn what they want.

"So what if they don't learn something they need for college/the real world?"
----They can learn it at the time. Learning isn't a window that opens at age 5 and closes at age 18; anyone can choose to learn anything at any age.

"Are they 'at grade level'? Are they gifted/special needs/learning disabled?"
----I don't know and I don't care. They are unique individuals with unique individual interests, preferences, learning styles, and strengths and weaknesses.

"What's wrong with the public school in your area?"
----It's a school.

"Shouldn't you try to change and reform the public school system instead of just pulling out?"
----You cannot fix a system that is fundamentally flawed at its core by making a few changes at the local school board. As long as attendance is mandatory, work is assigned, classes are required, an age hierarchy is enforced, young children sit at desks for hours on end, tests are given, and grades are assigned, I will be against schooling as a violation of children's natural rights.

"Your tax dollars are paying for public school anyway; you should take advantage of it"
----My tax dollars pay for the penal system too, but I'm not going to go sit in jail to get my money's worth, even if it is a free flop.

"How will they learn to stand in line?"
----By standing in line with me at the store, the bank, etc.

"But how will they date?" (should be noted that at the time of this question, the kids were ages 3 and prenatal)
----I'm sure they'll find a way.

"How will they learn that they have to obey adults?"
----They won't; what a novel concept!

"How will they learn a work ethic?"
----By choosing to do work.

"School builds character."
----So a 98% schooled society should have really high collective character, right? I think making the right choices builds character, but in order to do that you have to *have* freedom of choice.

"Homeschooling is based on an ideology that views children as the property of their parents."
----Right, because nothing says "I respect you as an individual and not property" like making someone raise his hand to go to the bathroom.

"Homeschooling is my business because my kids will have to live with your kids' bigotry."
----Flimsy logic at best, but then I should be concerned about my kids living in a society where people taught to unquestioningly obey all authority grow up and become voters.

And that's not even counting all the comments about socialization, having friends, and chemistry!
#94 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
"You'll send your kid to school if they're gifted/learning disabled/troublesome, I'm sure. Just wait and see." :
Yeah. Right. The reason we ARE homeschooling is because our dd is gifted and there is not a snowball's chance in Hades that she would receive an appropriate education at our neighborhood school. No way.
#95 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 10:49 AM

yea, that makes sense. Hm, my kid needs extra patience and attention. Keep him with someone who adores him unconditionally? Or send to strangers with lots of other kids to teach. That's a real head-scratcher.
#96 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 AM

"I could never do that, I don't have the patience/am not a naturally good teacher/can't explain things well."

I just started schooling my crew at home this year (10, 9, 8, and 4) and I truly wondered if I would have the patience. I discovered, after a couple of weeks, I have more patience than I did when they were in public school.

"You shelter them too much. They should go to school to be exposed to opinions other than yours."

This is my BIL's famous comment. He always tells me that I can't keep them in a bubble forever.

"Your tax dollars are paying for public school anyway; you should take advantage of it"
----My tax dollars pay for the penal system too, but I'm not going to go sit in jail to get my money's worth, even if it is a free flop.

I love this!!!! LOL :

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#97 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 11:01 AM

i had a delightful chat with someone about speech therapy for my 3 yr old in which she posited that because i homeschool, it wasn't as important to his developing self-esteem to speak & be understood. it was with relief she heard that, contrary to her expectations, he is starting soccer, plays with a retinue of neighborhood children, goes to the y for programs of tumbling & crafts several times a week, has organized playdates... because of course the assumption is that because i homeschool WE LIVE IN A VACUUM ON THE FREAKING MOON. so, after all, he *does* need to learn to speak. thank god for expert help.

and i could hear her roll her eyes on the phone about me learning anything about speech pathology 'on the internet'. because, of course, when a qualified expert uses resources on the web, it is one thing, but everything a layperson such as myself might investigate has its own category in snopes.
#98 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 01:04 PM

Oh, here's a good one. One of my son's two 1st grade teachers, a bully, told me she didn't approve of the fact that we were going to be homeschooling the next year. She said kids need to be around other kids who will shrug them off, knock them down, give them a hard time, put them in their place, instead of showing them approval and interest all the time - otherwise they'll be full of themselves. She didn't put it in exactly those words - I wish I can remember the way she put it - but it was just as crude. And that explained some of her bizarre behavior that I'd seen exhibited that year. The other teacher, a lovely person, was delighted for him that he was going to be able to homeschool. Lillian
#99 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 04:20 PM

: great thread...

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#100 of 107 Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna

"!

omg.
i about scared dd to death i laughed so loud!!!

CPST
#101 of 107 Old 04-24-2006, 09:10 AM

How will they learn that they have to obey adults?! FIL is always trying to impart this lesson to BeanBean-- "You have to obey me because I'm an adult." He does it in the whiniest way possible, so much so that I actually laugh when I see him doing it; it's so freaking childish! "I want you to do it my way!" "Stop, I want to do it! Let me do it! It's mine, I want that!" :

It's never occurred to him to say that we should send the kids to school for that, though; he already knows that I'm trying to raise little heathens.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#102 of 107 Old 04-24-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna
"Shouldn't you try to change and reform the public school system instead of just pulling out?"

Snarky response "I've already wasted my money, now you want me to waste my time, too?"
#103 of 107 Old 04-24-2006, 10:32 PM

My closest friend keeps telling me i should send ds to school, not for any reasons benefitting him, but for entirely "me" reasons. That i deserve a break, no one should expect that kind of dedication from a parent, etc.

and i look at her, and i say, "this is good for his education, how? "

She also sneers "ritalin" at me whenever my kid gets high energy, thugh, so i don't listen to much about parenting from her anymore. and she knows it.
#104 of 107 Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was talking about my mixed feelings over possibly sending my Dd to preschool, this woman I know from school goes on about how her son was in Montessori school from 18 mos. and how it's the best and you should put your kids in school as soon as possible, blah blah.

Yet this same woman has made much of his adolescent criminal record and what a rough teenager he was to deal with, and he's 20 and she's now a grandmother, but don't call her that! Blah blah.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#105 of 107 Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin
When I was talking about my mixed feelings over possibly sending my Dd to preschool, this woman I know from school goes on about how her son was in Montessori school from 18 mos. and how it's the best and you should put your kids in school as soon as possible, blah blah.

Yet this same woman has made much of his adolescent criminal record and what a rough teenager he was to deal with, and he's 20 and she's now a grandmother, but don't call her that! Blah blah.
I'm sorry, but :

that is really very funny, well not funny, but, you know, kinda funny.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#106 of 107 Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maevele
She also sneers "ritalin" at me whenever my kid gets high energy...
I would so be tempted to give her a sidelong glance and sneer "demerol" right on back.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#107 of 107 Old 04-25-2006, 03:11 PM

oh, she knows where i stand on her theory that my kid has ADD.

I have a brutally hard time not actually bitching her out, actually. and hurtfully, even, it would come out. Because I know she only thinks my kid has ADD because she sees him through glasses filtered by her ADD diagnosed kid. And i always want to point that out to her. and when she gets on me about the homeschool thing, I want to bring up the fact that her four grown children that she sent to school all wound up with a lot of trouble during their school years, one of them continuing major trouble to this day, drugs, and stealing, and stealing drugs, one of the others making her a grandma at 40, and all having times of huge struggle with the institutional learning facilities. So when she says something about sending him to school I really want to point out how well it worked for her kids. But her kids are really good people, even if they got trouble, and i don't want her to think i am criticising them, because her kids are good friends of mine.

Wow. i just exploded a little there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page