How Clean is Your House? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this (this is my first post ) but this is something that helps me to keep things in perspective when I'm overwhelmed with the daily chores.
The dirt will still be there tomorrow, and what might you miss by worrying about it? I say to people that my house will be perfect and tidy when I'm old and my children have all moved out, and man, am I going to miss them!

I had a friend (not anymore) actually threaten to call CSS because, as she said, I'm not organized enough, but my son is healthy and happy, the house is, perhaps untidy, but sanitary, and they (CSS) won't take children out of a loving family. Isn't it normal for a house to be in a constant state of chaos with young children?

Try not to worry and be kinder to yourself, you deserve that as a hardworking mama!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 AM

I have 5 kids...well, 6 if you include the husband. My house will never be completly clean. It's more like semi-clean.The basics get done everyday and the rest can wait until someone gets to it...but those things aren't really cleaning-oriented things but more like organizational things.

My biggest problem is the laundry. I'm good at washing it and I can even throw it in the dryer.But folding and putting away is something entirely different LOL. I just can't seem to find the time and energy to do it and really, in the scheme of things,it's not hugely important to me,so it's not something I've worked too hard to "fix".
#33 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGaia
I'm good at washing it and I can even throw it in the dryer.But folding and putting away is something entirely different LOL. I just can't seem to find the time and energy to do it and really, in the scheme of things,it's not hugely important to me,so it's not something I've worked too hard to "fix".

Ditto!!

Each family member has a laundry basket, and as things come out of the dryer, we sort them into the owner's basket. Most often, that's as far as it gets. I figure, what difference does it make, really, if our clothes are stored in baskets or in drawers? Not gonna change the world, yk?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#34 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 AM

I thwarted the "piles of clean laundry" issue by putting labelled baskets on top of the washer and dryer - I fold the clean laundry into the baskets directly from the dryer (because I hate to iron). Most often, we end up dressing out of the baskets, but sometimes I get squirrely and put the stuff away.

It's nice to have a basket of folded clothes ready and waiting if and when I get that urge. I just don't have time for everything to be a multi-step process. If I have to dump a basket and fold the clothes, it will never get done.
#35 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Not clean enough.

Our laundry is all either put away or sorted, ready to be washed; there's a load of diapers in the washer right now (should be clean). We're actually good on laundry, for a change. The trouble is, we don't have enough shelves for all of our books or dressers for all of the kid's clothing. Most of our things are in boxes, and other things are in random piles on the floor, it sucks.

Luckily, the people who lived here before us were absolutely awful. Compared to them, we are quiet, neat, and tidy, so I have no worries about the neighbors calling CPS on us.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#36 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Depends which room you are in and what time of day it is

The kitchen, bathroom and living room are usually in pretty good shape. To me that means no dirty dishes out on the coffee table or by the computer (might be some next to the sink depending on if I've done that chore yet), no dirty clothes hanging around and no food left out on the counter (except the fruit basket LOL). Is the floor clean enough to eat off? No way. Is the bathtub free of soap scum? Nope. Is the floor rug in the living room free of lint and cereal crumbs? Maybe, but probably not. There is usually some sort of clutter about as well; dinos set up on the coffee table, a board game or two on the dining room table, DD's Nancy Drew cheat-books all over the computer area, several books and binders on the end table...you get the picture.

No the bedrooms are another story. Ds/DD's room is usually very tidy. DD is autistic and has her stuff arranged just so (or else!) and DS is very neat so they take care of that. My older DD is a creative and well..not neat and her room shows it Dh and I's room is somewhere in between. The floor is usually clean but the end table are threatening to cave under the clutter of books, water bottles, lotions, candles and such. In our house the beds only get made if company is coming

The laundry room? ROTFLMAO! The main reason I wanted a laundry room is so I could close the door and hide the mess! I LOVE my laundry room but it's so bad we lock the door when guests come over. I would be afraid of being sued when Mt. Needawash toppled on someone and suffocated them

We (the whole family) goes through once a week and does a deeper cleaning (bathtub, toilet, bleach the sink, dust, vacuum, declutter and purge (sounds more impressive then it is-mostly I get rid of junk mail and other unneeded papers), change the bedding etc) but other then that it's just laundry, picking up and doing dishes.
#37 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3momkmb
I would be afraid of being sued when Mt. Needawash toppled on someone and suffocated them
"Mt. Needawash" just hit me funny. Where's the "pml" smilie? :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#38 of 51 Old 01-07-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
"Mt. Needawash" just hit me funny. Where's the "pml" smilie? :

Oh fine! Mock my pain! : Just kidding

I have to tell you that I went in the laundry room to switch over a load earlier today and the pile actually did topple! : It missed me, but only because I was quick on my feet and wary of it's potential. It did dump a pair of DH underwear in the cat box though. Wonder what kind of message that was supposed to send?

I knew I was right to fear the mighty Mt. Needawash!
#39 of 51 Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

I got a lot done today and feel somewhat better. I feel way more "normal" reading all of your posts! Thank you so much!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#40 of 51 Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
How Clean is Your House?
Totally depends on the day. Right now, it's a little messy, but actually reasonably clean. I could get it "company ready" in about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes, it's quite tidy, but actually dirty (ie, camoflagued cat hair covering the rugs, bathroom floors highly neglected, tub needing a scrub, etc).

In my house, not everyone does a fair share that simply any person who lives in a home shoud do (read: dh doesn't do his fair share). Instead of most everything falling on mama, we have part-time housekeeping help. Twice a week, a woman comes and helps tidy up, does a good portion of laundry, sweeps the floors, and sometimes mops. Amazingly, there's still a lot for me to do, but her doing the bulk of laundry really helps. Oh yeah, she spends a lot of time irnoning, actually. That's sometime that is utterly not a priority for me, so it's more of a perk rather than a real help. If she didn't iron, it's not like there'd be more ironing for me; there'd just be lots of wrinkly clothes.

To answer the social servies question, I think they're more concerned with filth, and fire hazards. Do the children have clean clothes? Is the kitchen an unintentional science project? Are there pet accidents lying about? Are the walkways so cluttered it's an obstacle course to get out of their bedrooms? Is the bathroom so gross you don't really want to touch anything? Stuff like that.
#41 of 51 Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 AM

LMAO!!!! I was just thinking about this last night as I was on my hands and knees spaying a vinegar solution on the sticky tiles. If you look REALLY closely you would think I do nothing. The beds are made, the 3-4 loads of laundry each day are done.

Right now the girls are supposed to be cleaning their rooms but I am on the computer sooooooooooooooo when I get off we are doing chores.... Delegation is a great concept.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#42 of 51 Old 01-09-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_girl
It was just one of those epiphanies...what is the point? What is it I'm trying to accomplish? Do I want to have a beautiful, sterile house or do I want to have a pack of kids who live here and are comfortable just being themselves and doing their thing without worrying about carefully picking things up afterwards? I guess it was one of those moments where I reevaluated my priorities.
:
#43 of 51 Old 01-09-2006, 03:30 PM

By nature I am cluttery and messy. This has been a huge struggle for me. I am getting better though-I have found that I am not naturally organized and I have had to spend a lot of time finding a place for everything. my floors need to be mopped-my biggest problem. I bought swiffers to dust with as my one house cleaning luxury. My kids seem to be the biggest problem though-I swear they seem to be on a mission to move everything! my five yo picks up my bubble wrap and spreads it out only to get bored and move on to stacking my thread spools-boring-move on to digging through drawers for tape-and on and on....
this turns into little trails of clutter that you could use to chronicle the events of his day--ending with my thread and severl gi joes taped together with the scotch tape he will eventually find ( I can never find it myself).

My 14 is now old enought to reliably empty the dishwasher and load it so thankfully I keep up with that a little better now

gretchen

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#44 of 51 Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 PM

I like to keep my house what I call "socially" clean. Menaing if someone was to pop in for a unexpected visit or I wanted to have last minute freinds over there would not be too much to clean up. I keep the kitchen area, living room and bathrooms clean. Our room, kids room and playroom are hit and miss. I don't fuss about those rooms unless we have playgroup at my house and I make my kids clean up the bedroom and I do the playroom, just enough so no small pieces are on the floor and the kids can get around. Honestly 90% of the time our bedrooms are a mess, but I can shut those doors. I have a silly thing I tell my friends but it is true for me." You have seen my house all cleaned once, that is good enough for me. You know that I have the potential, but not the time or interest in keeping it that way." Usually when I have a freind to my home for the first time I will do a real clean, make it as perfect as possible. Then that is it, they saw it that way once, I don't worry about it again. I would rather enjoy the compnay then worry about getting ready for the compnay.

I am trying a new thng and being less cluttered because I think with my personanlity type it is a stress factor. I just realized it this weekend and have been working on it alot more.

I have relaxed ALOT with my cleaning I was very anal about it, but I love my sponataneous friends and our time with our kids. My kids thrive on that more then "hey mommy is staying home today to clean house"
#45 of 51 Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM

where oh where is my kitchen table?
#46 of 51 Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
How Clean is Your House?
Whatever happened to that show? I used to love/hate watching it. It was so gross but I'd just cover my eyes and squeal at the worst parts. I found it oddly inspiring though...inspiration to NOT ever let my house get that way!
#47 of 51 Old 01-10-2006, 04:50 AM

How clean is our home?

:

:

:

:
:

It's not.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#48 of 51 Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Whatever happened to that show? I used to love/hate watching it. It was so gross but I'd just cover my eyes and squeal at the worst parts. I found it oddly inspiring though...inspiration to NOT ever let my house get that way!
It's still on. I was watching it the other night. I think it comes on around 11 p.m. on the weekends, on Lifetime. I only ever catch it by accident.

I feel the same way... "Clean Sweep" always makes me feel I should be doing more. "How Clean is Your House" makes me look around, see the dishes in the sink and breathe a sigh of relief that they've not been there for more than a few hours. And that Aggie (or is it Kim?) would not be culturing any pond scum in my tub.
#49 of 51 Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM

I love clean sweep! It has inspired me to drag the contents of my attic to my front yard and sort it out. Of course that won't be until spring so the inspiration may wear off

The cleaner my house gets the worse my attic is-I have gotten in the habit of shoving things up there-dh says the ceiling is going to cave in!

gretchen

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#50 of 51 Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I love Clean Sweep too! We get TLC by accident (we don't have cable so go figure) but it is SO inspiring! I watched alot of it after my youngest was born and I stayed in bed for a few days. That was a bad time to be inspired,

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#51 of 51 Old 01-11-2006, 03:18 AM

I have loved this thread! I definitely have wanna-be-a-supermom-wife-woman syndrome! I wish I had more hours in the day! Or didn't need to eat or sit down,lol. How clean is our house....I think it's pretty clean most of the time. There's always usually one area, or one "thing" that might wait around a bit...like two giant piles of clean laundry in the living room right now staring at me to be sorted and put away (will do it tomorrow afternoon...or wait to see if dh does it, hehe). We try to keep up with the dishwasher so dishes don't pile. We keep up with vacuuming. So yeah, it's clean. But it's not always spotless. We love piles of books and papers here.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page