Homeschooling Preschoolers Jan '06 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 01-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeanBean did the train thing about 2 years ago. Lucky for us, the ILs live very close to Strasburg, which is chock full of trains and train paraphanalia. I've never done the tour but BeanBean has done it with his grandmother. When we met MIL for lunch a few times (she works in Strasburg or somewhere very close to it... I get all those little towns mixed up) there were plenty of train things to do and look at afterwards. It was all good.

Last year, it was airplanes. While he still loves airplanes and helicoptors, he's not completely obsessed the way that he was a few months ago. Right now his big obsession is... homework! Funny kid. A conversation from a few days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
This afternoon I ran more errands with BeanBean. He asked me a question-- "Do I go to elementary school?" Apparently some of the kids at Meeting were talking about elementary school. "No," I told him, "You're a homeschooler. You will do elementary school at home, with Mamma." "Really? That's great!" Later this evening, he was grinning and being bubbly and interfering as I rolled out beads. "I'm in a great mood!" he said. "Yeah? What's up?" "I'm very excited about homeschooling! I can't wait to go to homeschool with you, Mamma!" Argh, I just about passed out from the overwhelming cuteness. He's such a muffin!
My mom gets Brighter Vision stuff for my younger niece and she's passed a fair bit of it on to me. I've got a fun thingy called "Teaching House" which has lots of ideas that I'd already incorporated into our daily lives (like, have your preschooler help sort laundry or pair socks-- what homeschooler *hasn't* done that?!) and other ideas which just hadn't occurred to me. It's fun stuff.

BooBah has informed me that she is poopy.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#122 of 145 Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM

Sorry to jump right in after lurking and subscribing But I was wondering does anyone know the lyrics to the Hokey Pokey It's driving me crazy that I can't remember this silly song.

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#123 of 145 Old 01-25-2006, 01:50 PM

#124 of 145 Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Yay! Thanks, now I feel like an idiot :LOL so simple and I just couldn't remember. Some teacher I am

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#125 of 145 Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM

Hi! I hope it's not too late to join this thread/group!

My dd is 28 mos and we have been doing some homeschool preschool since about 20 mos-but VERY laid back. It was mostly brought on by dd's reading/learning letters last summer. She just started picking the letters off of the fridge and saying what they were. So we worked on it a bit, mostly like at restaurants or when I needed her to be focused in a public atomsophere and not wanting to run around. It was like a game. Around that time she started to count as well and recognizes 1-20 and occasionally simple addition of say a pic of 3 moons she can count in her head. She also knows most colors and shapes. This fall she began learning the planets and knows them by sight and order. She has also begun to learn about the ochestra and sat in rapture at a recent concert.

-We like to do ANYTHING outside and talk about nature, etc.
-Library
-Music-she loves memorizing new songs
-cooking
-puzzles
-working on writing
My dh and I have always known we would homeschool, before we even got married!

Dd seems to gravitate toward certain things so I just follow. I want this time to be laid back and fun and we can be more structured later.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#126 of 145 Old 01-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the links. i will def be checking out those kits. We currently get the brighter vision thing. And a mag called your big backyard as well as National Geographic for Kids (which I'm not impressed with! FULL of ads!!!) We usually borrow the baby bug or ladybug mags from teh Library as tehy are quite $$ to subscribe to (well baby bug is) Usually the inlaws get teh kids mag subscriptions for their birthdays. What' your approach to teaching... do you do a mix of stuff each day or do you do one particular theme and then change as theri interest change? do you offer ideas to them? (like put out different themes and go from there rather than following what they are into . Just curious cause a lot of peopel around me are so regimantal in their lives that they tell me that homeschooling si denying kids things that they need like guidance adn boundaries ad to know that they don't get to make al the decisions in life... (not that I believe them but just getting a feel of what otehr do and think about the process of HS especially with this age!)
#127 of 145 Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRayeMomi
Oh one more thing: I read Where Willy Went to Raye today (it's a book about you know what and making a baby ) and she loved it and had me read it two more times Have you heard of it or is anyone to the point of this type of literature with their kids yet? Raye loved the book and is totally satisfied with all the info she's discovered on the topic thus far
Oh I just noticed that this book is featured in Mothering's e-newsletter this week.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#128 of 145 Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam&kat's_mom
Thanks for the links. i will def be checking out those kits. We currently get the brighter vision thing. And a mag called your big backyard as well as National Geographic for Kids (which I'm not impressed with! FULL of ads!!!)
Thanks for mentioning this. I was thinking of getting a subscription to National Geographic for Kids but maybe now I won't bother. I'll just check second hand places. I want to get the regular National Geographic but I think I'll just ask on Freecycle and maybe down the road subscribe.

We've been doing our own thing. DS loves science experiments. We got a kit with tons of things to do and it's fun experiment with different things. He loves the magnets and finds the polarity of them pretty facinating. He also loves his computer games and math stuff still.

I've been reading him a lot of French books lately and he loves it. I'm not fluent by any means but it's bringing a lot back. We had to take it in school so it's in there somewhere, lol! He loves this one about a monster under the bed but it's actually a shadow.

DS has been reading a lot more on his own lately. I have a phonics program on request through interlibrary loan but I'm starting to wonder if I'll even need it.

DD is busy learning right alongside of her big brother. She loves playing with his maniplulatives and is counting and starting to say the alphabet. Pretty good for a kid who a month ago could only say a few words . She brought me a book last night saying "Train, train" and sure enough, it was a book of trains.

I have a couple of Mary Griffith's books on the way, the Homeschooling and Unschooling handbooks. I've been getting books left and right lately. The Salvation Army has been a great source for french books. I should ask on Freecycle for some since you never know.
#129 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 12:13 AM

How did you decide what language you were going to start with the littel ones? Cameornis really liking spanish.. (mainly becaseu of Dora.. but since i've NIX teh TV habit (mostly) he's hasn't been watching it and has lost most of his spanish words..) but I speak english adn french (fluent enough to have a conversation in Quebec but that's it) Do i let him go with teh spanish adn learn along wiht him or do i try to intorduce french to him. Because where we live he'll use french FAR more than he'll use spanish. (We live about 1/4 mile from the Canada border). Thougths anyone?

Oh and def pass on teh National Geographic for kids.. all teh ads are for things liek Nickelodean, Play station, kraft Foods adn such. The articles are great but seriously there are more ads than article. So just borrow it form teh library!
#130 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 AM

cam&kat's_mom, in your situation I would definitely introduce French. If he isn't interested, drop it for awhile. If he continues to express an interest in Spanish (even if also interested in French), support him. Not sure how to express this, but it seems like as a little kid, his reason for interest in Spanish was probably the "real" input from Dora. For the forseeable future, he is more likely to get interest-sustaining real experience from French, kwim? Your using your French with him, taking him to Canada, etc. is just offering him access to that reality around him, not going against his preference. I'm going to stop now because I feel like my fuzzy brain is torturing logic tonight.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#131 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 02:07 AM

Btw, take the above comments with due seriousness, considering that they come from a mama who knows some Spanish, lives in a mostly Spanish-speaking neighborhood, and has a 4yo who knows NOT ONE WORD of Spanish. Hmmm. (I posted before about how I wonder why she is so uninterested in Spanish.)

Oye Yemaya oloto
#132 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 AM

We decided french since we live in Canada and it is definately bilingual here. All packaging and most signs are in both french and english and most other things have the option of either. Of course everyone who lives here speaks Acadian French which is a weird hybrid of english and french. It makes it a little easier to understand but harder to learn so I'll stick with "normal" french.

i'll probably introduce some spanish. DS has picked up a lot from Dora but I can't really see it being useful for everyday living. Someday he may travel so who knows.
#133 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 AM

You all are tempting me to go find some Dora DVDs! (We don't have TV.)

Oye Yemaya oloto
#134 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 AM

I'm starting with Hebrew because a) it's important to me for cultural reasons and b) it's a more difficult language to learn than French or Spanish. BeanBean is much more likely to encounter French and Spanish out in the world than he is to encounter Hebrew (at least where we live); because the kids are unlikely to be exposed to it later on if I don't do it, I figure it's best to start now.

That said, BeanBean has been playing a Spanish word game with SIL and has picked up her absolutely horrific accent... it makes me want to pull my hair out and scream! : So I find myself trying to correct his accent and pronunciation, because it's really freaking bad. But yeah, Hebrew for now. It's much more difficult, I figure if he can get a good grip on Hebrew he'll have absolutely no problem learning Spanish or French later on. I'm hoping that his good ear is a sign that he has inherited my facility with languages and will pick them up easily and well. Even in languages that I don't speak fluently (or really at all) I can sound like I know what I'm talking about. I once told someone who speaks fluent German, "Meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut," and he started talking to me in German. I switched back to English and said, "No, I'm serious, I really can't speak German, I actually got a grade lower than F in German class." He was totally shocked, he said, "I really thought you spoke, your accent is really good!" I was like, "Always sound like you know what you're talking about, even if you haven't got a clue, because then people will take you seriously." It was pretty funny, actually.

Hm. One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and actually learn some German.

Okay, not quite related, but was this one of the threads where Artemis Fowl was mentioned? I've been listening to the books on disc in the car, but it really bothers me that Artemis is a *boy*. Does this bug anyone else, or am I alone in it?

#135 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Dora actually does do a fair amount of Spanish.. and the funny thing here is that DEPSITE being so close to canada, teh signs that are bilingual are in English adn Spanish!! CRAZY! But DH wants to learn french too so maybe we'll take a field trip and see if his interest is piqued!
#136 of 145 Old 01-27-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam&kat's_mom
and the funny thing here is that DEPSITE being so close to canada, teh signs that are bilingual are in English adn Spanish!!
Yeah, I think that's a standard American (US) thing, like the standard Canadian English French signs. Although I grew up in a city with many Spanish speakers just a couple of hours from the Canadian border.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#137 of 145 Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 PM

What's new?

#138 of 145 Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 PM

hi!
we home-pre-school very cassually. Mostly it involves a bunch of zoo and children's museum memberships, a co-op art class, and just hanging out
My boy just turned 3 and there is no pressure right now to formally teach. We're just letting him be a kid for now

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#139 of 145 Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM

Well, I seem to be busy constantly cleaning . I just follow the kids leads and let them do what they want which is great for them but exhausting for me!

DS is really intrested in learning to read and is doing well. I got a book from interlibrary loan that I'm wading through and we got him kit 1 and 2 of the leap pad phonics kits. They're really good and I think they're helping him. That is when he can get them away from DD, lol!! I think she's having more fun with them than he is. DS is still nuts over Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and has a play tree and little foam letters he loves playing with.

We've been doing science experiments, some sucessful, some not. I can't seem to make a rainbow with a prism but maybe I just need a stronger light. DS loves one we do with colorfast markers (mark on paper and put in water to see what happens. Some we've done you can really see the layers of color). Magnets are big. I flopped an electrical current we tried to make but I think my batteries were dead in hind sight.

I've really loosened with with what I'll let DD do. I figure with close supervision she should be ok with most things. She loves the pattern blocks too and the craft stuff. She still shoves everything in her mouth but I am just more watchful when she has little things.

As for me, I've recently obtained The Homeschooling Handbook and The Unschooling Handbook. I have so much to do and read that I have to shelf them for a while. We do lots things and I'm trying to get past the "must do school" temptation as they are self directing themselves better than I could. I never want to force learning on them if I can help it
#140 of 145 Old 01-31-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde

We've been doing science experiments, some sucessful, some not. I can't seem to make a rainbow with a prism but maybe I just need a stronger light.
It's not the strength of the light, it's the type of light. not all lights have the full spectrum that can be split by the prism, especially artificial ones. Oh, and the quality of the prism helps. Sunlight always works for me. You can concentrate it with a magnifying glass too.
#141 of 145 Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger
It's not the strength of the light, it's the type of light. not all lights have the full spectrum that can be split by the prism, especially artificial ones. Oh, and the quality of the prism helps. Sunlight always works for me. You can concentrate it with a magnifying glass too.
Ahh thanks . I was using a hand crank flashlight so I though it was that. It will be months before we get any decent sun so maybe we'll experiment with different lights to see what happens. I never thought of using a magnifying glass. Now I can justify getting one, lol! I'm sure we could get a lot of use out of that with all the wonderful things to see out there.
#142 of 145 Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde
Ahh thanks . I was using a hand crank flashlight so I though it was that. It will be months before we get any decent sun so maybe we'll experiment with different lights to see what happens. I never thought of using a magnifying glass. Now I can justify getting one, lol! I'm sure we could get a lot of use out of that with all the wonderful things to see out there.
Getting both a convex and a concave lens would lead to all sorts of cool optics studies. You wouldn't even need very strong light, and I think some historians think that an concave mirror was how some renaissance painters were able to paint so accurately. You can project images on the wall with those lenses.
#143 of 145 Old 02-02-2006, 12:02 AM

We've been doing the "Letter of the Week" this week from the Bright Beginnings Website. She loves it! And it has helped me in guiding her. Tomorrow we are off to a local Children's Museum and I'm finding myself at peace with my decision. I felt so much anxiety surrounding my decision earlier. Thanks for your guidance!

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#144 of 145 Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 AM

Hi, mamas!

This thread is so long. Hopefully I wil get through it sometime.

I'm Monika. I have dd1 who is 7. She attended Montessori school for 3 years and now she is in 1st grade at an okay public school. We do lots of supplementation. SHe is very bright and often wats to know more about whatever it is they are learning about.

Dd2 just turned 3. She likes to count. She can recognize her name, colors, and the letter D. God, I feel like such a slacker. With dd3 around and mobile, I am pooped most days. We try to go on walks and such but, it gets pretty cold. The nice days, we go out.

dd3 is 1 year old and is usually around whenever dd2 and I are 'learning'.

I look forward to learning from you wise hsing mamas!

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#145 of 145 Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 AM

I started a February thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...34#post4567934

Oye Yemaya oloto

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page