BOB books - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-26-2003, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else ever tried them for teaching reading? OMG, I love them!! Dd learned how to read in about two days! She's nearly through the first box of books. I'm so proud of her! She loves to show off to people too!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 16 Old 01-26-2003, 02:41 AM

Yes we have the first three sets, I really liked them but I was hesitant because a therapist we had worked with said they were really bad. My son really enjoyed them as well.
#3 of 16 Old 01-26-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Did the therepist say why they were bad? Now I'm worried!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 16 Old 01-26-2003, 02:19 PM

She just felt that they were too "silly", didn't make enough sense- not that the actual readin content was bad. But my son likes the silliness, and they do make sense to me.
#5 of 16 Old 01-26-2003, 06:06 PM

Too silly? Could anything be "too silly"? Not in this house

Dd got throught hte first two sets pretty quick but tthey seem to get a lot harder really quickly. They are most likely all we will use next time.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Banned

Does anyone have a link for the Bob books. I keep hearing about them but I haven't seen them in any of the stores.
#7 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 12:24 AM

What are Bob books?
#8 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

I got mine at Barnes and Noble.

BOB books are books that come in a box. There are several different levels of reading skills going from easy to hard. Each box contains different level/color books. Each level/color deals with a different reading skill. Plus, there are matrials inside to make a simple finger puppet/puppet theater. Very cute!

#9 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 12:40 AM

My son is reading them now. He has just finished the first set and we'll pull out the second set this week. They are okay, but the one thing that drives us both nuts is when the language is corrupted so that they book says, "Sam did nap" instead of "Sam napped" or "Sam had a nap." They are written that way so that all the words can be sounded out by a beginner reader, but it is such an unnatural turn of phrase that my son just can't get his head around it.

Also, my son is a bit of a realist. He doesn't consider them "real books" so he isn't very impressed with his own reading abilities. He knows he can't read everything. I could have saved a lot of money and made up some sentences for him to read and he'd have been just as happy.
#10 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 01:13 AM

What ages are they appropriate for? My son is just now showing interest in learning to read. He's three. The sentence "Sam did nap" does sound like the way he talks so I think it would make sense for him.
#11 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

It says on the first box that it's for 4 and up. You could always try them now and if they didn't work you would know that he would grow into it. My dd1 is 6 and is just learning but ds2 is 4 and is also learning. It depends on the child, I guess.

#12 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 02:41 PM

We used these too! DD was 4 1/2 at the time. By the time I got the 2nd through 4th sets she was beyond them, but they will be great for ds and dd #2. I have 4 of the 5 sets. I bought the 1st full price at Barnes and Noble.com and got the remaining sets at a consignment shop and thrift shop. I paid $3 for 2 of them and $1 for one of the sets. Can't beat that.

Patti
#13 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM

I also really recommend these books. I plan to use them for our child, and we used them as a first set of books in our Montessori classroom (I am a former teacher).

I think we could all do with upping our silliness quotient anyway!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#14 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

We tried a new library today and they have all of the sets there! Yippee!

#15 of 16 Old 01-28-2003, 04:07 PM

We loved the BOB books. I couldn't find anything to bridge the gap between sounding out letters and "real" reading with less obvious letter combinations (i.e. "ea" in "bear.") Bil & sil, both teachers (so unschooling is going over really well with them : ) sent us the first set. DD loved the fact that she could sound out ALL the words, instead of constantly stumbling on spellings that didn't make sense phonetically. She has a really low frustration tolerance, so the sense of accomplishment was really important. We've lost about half of them, so if ds ever sits still long enough to learn the whole alphabet, I guess we'll have to buy them again. I'll probably buy all the sets, since they're pretty cheap and fit in my purse so much better than Hop on Pop.
#16 of 16 Old 01-29-2003, 05:35 AM

We love these! I just checked out a whole pile at the library, and my ds loves the silliness. Simple line drawings, and simple words. Also, my ds always checks out the length of the book, seeing if it is 'too long'. These are just right, and won't scare off your new reader.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page