Target has a "homeschool aisle" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins
BUT THEY STILL GIVE GOBS AND GOBS OF CASH TO THE FREAKIN' REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLOOOOO!!!!! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE MARKETING PLOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a republican.. where do I go to pick up my gobs of cash? I could sure use some..

Really, of all the points that could be made either way on Target, that one wasn't so strong.

I don't go to Target because Walmart is cheaper. Yes, I like Walmart. No, none of it has anything to do with political affiliation. The one thing I get at Target that I can't get an equivalent at is my son's shoes - and those are knockoffs of Robeez. If there are things at Target that can be used for homeschooling that I can't find elsewhere for cheaper, I'll get them if it's that important to me to have them. Although, I'll likely go to Mardel to get supplies, just because I prefer to support them.

I'm in the process of getting my teacher certification and will likely be getting a job in a public school (although I would honestly prefer private) and guess what - public school is a realm of Democrats

As for the claims that the wood is from rainforest, do you know this for a fact? I'd like to see your source. It's one thing to speculate that they could be from the rainforest and another entirely to say that they are.

I'll stop now. The whole Republican thing was just too amusing for me to pass up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I am sorry you felt my post was rude, but come on!

Is it b/c what I said had some ring of truth to it?
Actually it was more of the shouting, the *HELLOOOOOO* and the fact that you pretty much assume everyone is a democrat (which I actually am FWIW). Your post had a very *DUH!* tone to it, as if by being happy about finding good stuff at Target we had all entered the realm of uninformed lemmings. Even in this post your apology was followed by *but come on!*. Rude.

I am well aware of the issues in this thread, but I am also in a town where the nearest non-Walmart store is an hour away. We don't even have a bookstore! If people are buying good products, even if it's from a debatably *bad* place, that's better then buying *bad* stuff there. Sometimes you can only do what you can do.
#33 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Excuse me...I meant repubican PARTY. My facts on that came from buyblue.org

You should check it out...tells you which companies give gobs of cash to Dems./repubs, etc.

Target is very, very red, according to buyblue. That makes me real sad , considering much of the republican platform is based on the aquisition of wealth at any cost, destruction of environmental laws( i.e. the EPA, drilling in Alaske,etc), war mongering, destruction of a woman's right to choose, shall I go on?

As for the wood. No, I personally do not know the origin of the wood used in certain wooden toys produced in China (Melissa and Doug, etc.) but I do know a little about the consumer product processing practices of China and I think I can make a good guess...not sustainable forests, pretty sure.

BUT I WELCOME YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG!! PLEASE DO!

Where are all other NFL mamas here??? Is this board about that anymore??? You know...Natural, family, living? People who care about the earth? Want to encourage coporations to use sustainalbe practices? Or is that all talk?
#34 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Look. I know that we can only do what we can do. I get it.

I also know there is no one right way to live. Got that too.

But a non-mainstream mom means that you need to have certain values that you adhere to...means you can debunk what corprate america is trying to shove down your throat...means you are teaching your kids that you think seriously about your purchases, where your money goes, and you don't succomb to mainstream brainwashing.

I used to be a Target reuglar. I loved that place. But as my kids are getting older I have to start walking the walk if I'm gonna talk the talk. And that means maybe not buying loads of toys for my kids and not having as many toys as the jones' or maybe even getting together with my fellow human neighbors and sharing toys, circulate toys, buy less, etc. It can be done, there are alternatives to what is being offered out there. It was hard but I totally weaned off Target and all that other stuff.

Just asking you to think about your purchases if you really want to make a difference in this world.
#35 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis

OP MUST be a raging Repubclican, or just plain stupid! Maybe she's even a troll! OR A MAN!!!!!

I feel your pain. Despite these --> (*) (*) and this ---> (o), I get that one all the time.
#36 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Look. I know that we can only do what we can do. I get it.

I also know there is no one right way to live. Got that too.

But a non-mainstream mom means that you need to have certain values that you adhere to...means you can debunk what corprate america is trying to shove down your throat...means you are teaching your kids that you think seriously about your purchases, where your money goes, and you don't succomb to mainstream brainwashing.

Just asking you to think about your purchases if you really want to make a difference in this world.
I find you very rude. Poor simple living mama got juked (by me) because I didn't like WHERE she posted it, but you just are completely inappropriate. Your tone. Your CAPS LOCK YELLING!!!!!!!!!! Your assumption that none of us know anything about marketing. That we're all raging Democrats who are backsliding into supporting slimy, evil Republicans. Your exuberance into coming into the homeschooling thread to rage a debate. Your absolute GALL in telling ME how to define Natural. Family. Living.

Guess what? You don't get to decide that for me. If we hadn't met on THIS thread, you'd probably adore most of my choices. I have "crunch cred" out the yang. But oh gosh, find out I shop at Target ever so often and now I'M THE DEVIL. CAN'T GET ALONG WITH WOLFMEIS ANYMORE. SHE'S BANNED!!!!!!!!

Incidentally, I went to the Educational Store this morning, a city over. The Shleich were packaged identically and priced identically. Klutz products had more packaging. Item for item, the educational store was priced identically. That's a good thing, I think. Target isn't undercutting them in price, and they are providing me a way to purchase-- if I wish-- the same items locally for me. Wouldn't want me burning extra fossil fuel or anything in an attempt to beef up my school supplies.

Do you even homeschool? Why are you in here?
#37 of 54 Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Third: Yeah, yeah Target has "cleaned" up their act with employee practices and offers seventh gen stuff BUT THEY STILL GIVE GOBS AND GOBS OF CASH TO THE FREAKIN' REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLOOOOO!!!!! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE MARKETING PLOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess if they sell the stuff you like then it makes everything ok...but don't kid yourself...you've just become their "Target"
Well, I happen to be a pro bfip hs'ing conservative 'Freakin republican' so that doesn't bother me. Heck, it doesn't bother me that there are store I go to the give money to the democrats.
#38 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
BUT THEY STILL GIVE GOBS AND GOBS OF CASH TO THE FREAKIN' REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLOOOOO!!!!! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE MARKETING PLOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband's a republican. My parents are republicans. Heck, I'm still registered as a republican, even though I'm much too libertarian to "fit in", because I have to be registered as a republican or a democrat to take part in the local caucuses. So, please, let's not go into attacking political parties here. It will go nowhere nice, and it will go there fast.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#39 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee
I was saying earlier that the Schleich products (thanks for reminding me of the name) ARE the same products, which is nice, but it frustrates me that when small companies sell products at large retailers, they are forced by the retailers to package their items in boxes. At our local store, you can get Schleich without a box. At Target, they have been boxed, and that to me is just a waste.
I'm not sure what you mean. I've actually bought Schleich in Germany (that's where I discovered them), but I haven't seen them IRL at Target stores yet. The Schleich knights, etc. that we've bought (in Germany & the US) have come attached to a cardboard "box"--it's not fully enclosed on all 6 sides; rather, it has a bottom and back only. If the Target Schleich come "boxed" like My Little Ponies or something, yeah, that does suck.

The Schleich Ritter accessories (castle, tower, catapult, tent, etc) do come in true, 6-sided, cardboard boxes, even in Germany.

The Schleich animals we've bought (again, in Germany & the US), are not boxed. They have a little sticker tag thingy attached to them with a color code that is used for pricing.

Ulrike, mom to:
#40 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
I'm not sure what you mean. I've actually bought Schleich in Germany (that's where I discovered them), but I haven't seen them IRL at Target stores yet. The Schleich knights, etc. that we've bought (in Germany & the US) have come attached to a cardboard "box"--it's not fully enclosed on all 6 sides; rather, it has a bottom and back only. If the Target Schleich come "boxed" like My Little Ponies or something, yeah, that does suck.

The Schleich Ritter accessories (castle, tower, catapult, tent, etc) do come in true, 6-sided, cardboard boxes, even in Germany.

The Schleich animals we've bought (again, in Germany & the US), are not boxed. They have a little sticker tag thingy attached to them with a color code that is used for pricing.
This is how it is here at the Target.
#41 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 01:21 AM

I think you guys should all be glad to have a Target to boycott. Our closest Target is half an hour away. Wal-Mart is 20-25 minutes, Barnes and Noble and Whole Foods 45 minutes. And I'm a libertarian so no matter which party those places give their money to, it's bad for me.
#42 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause
........ and Whole Foods 45 minutes. And I'm a libertarian so no matter which party those places give their money to, it's bad for me.
My whole foods is so far away! I'm a libertarian also. Don't tell ME what to do, darnit!
#43 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 05:42 AM

I mean in both of our local independent toy stores, the Schleich knights come without any cardboard. They stand on the shelf in rows. I've not seen the castles. In Target, they had boxes. Yes, I think they were not 6-sided boxes, but rather open on the front. Sounds like it is different all over in different toy stores and different Targets.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#44 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 09:34 AM

OK, so, in the lemming realm...

We should all start buying Clorox products because they are democratic contributors? I mean, that cancels out the environmental concerns, right? But I can't buy any home-improvement type products (you know, like replacing my leaking faucets that waste thousands of gallons a year) because the home improvement/hardware stores lean right? That'll show them! I'll dump as much bleach as I can get my hands on down my dripping sinks so that I can make sure to support the "right" people. Perhaps I should be forging my own new faucets? Of course, I'm sure mining companies are probably GOP contributors. What if I mine the ore myself?

I suppose I should eschew all HS curricula whose pulishers allow them to be sold by Christian HS suppliers. You know, since I'm not religious. So, what I'll do is this: I'll order catalogs from every Christian supplier, so I can comb through them before I decide whether it's OK to place an order. It is possible that I could then buy something at Barnes and Noble, but it's a 50 mile drive, each way, and they probably don't have it in the store... I can't seem to EVER get their on-line shopping to work and now, presumably, am not supposed to order what I need from Amazon. Maybe my friend will re-open her book store and operate at a continued loss so I can go back to ordering my stuff through her?

back to our regularly scheduled thread...

I'm also peeved about the packaging thing... Playskool got a letter after Xmas telling them that I have 4 kids and will not be purchasing another of their items until they do something about the packaging situation. It's ridiculous. Perhaps if people wrote to Schleich about the packaging, they'd come up with a better plan? It seems like they normally use minimal packaging, so they're probably under the impression that, to sell in "mainstream" stores, they need to up the ante. I don't know, I'm just rambling. It seems like the work of a marketing "genius", though.
#45 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:

My husband's a republican. My parents are republicans. Heck, I'm still registered as a republican, even though I'm much too libertarian to "fit in", because I have to be registered as a republican or a democrat to take part in the local caucuses. So, please, let's not go into attacking political parties here. It will go nowhere nice, and it will go there fast.
Amen Ulrike. I'm so sick and tired of coming to the HS forum and having to listen to someone's very off=topic discussions.
#46 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Do you even homeschool? Why are you in here?
I might.

Because I can be.
#47 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Because I can be.

Wow! Best line every bully ever used on me.
#48 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee
I mean in both of our local independent toy stores, the Schleich knights come without any cardboard. They stand on the shelf in rows. I've not seen the castles. In Target, they had boxes. Yes, I think they were not 6-sided boxes, but rather open on the front. Sounds like it is different all over in different toy stores and different Targets.
The German toy stores had them packaged the same way they are on the Schleich website: look here. So, don't feel bad about Target "boxing" them. Schleich hasn't changed anything just to sell them at Target.

Ulrike, mom to:
#49 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Because I can be.
In other words to cause trouble. :yawning:

Since this isn't a debate board I'm done playing.
#50 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 03:16 PM

I had never gone to look up any of those items until Ulrike posted the link, and hey! We've got some of those! My mom bought them from a local store (Kiddlestix) but I have no idea how they were packaged.. My mom loves buying from Kiddlstix more than any other toy place
#51 of 54 Old 01-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
Wow! Best line every bully ever used on me.
yup-me too.
#52 of 54 Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 AM

Don't we want to encourage big business to provide a better option for the people out there who don't know to shop at small businesses? Or who geographically can't? Maybe buying something made of wood from China may be a first step for someone who would have bought a toxic plastic toy had that option not been there. And from there who knows. I started with Melissa and doug toys for my children because all I knew was that I didn't want plastic. As I learned more I slowly switched to what I can find for fair trade products. The same for my eating habits, parenting techniques and environmental care. And I'm learning everyday. We progress one step at a time. Isn't it about not just our own specific concerns, but leading other less informed consumers to take their first step? Let's just be happy that the average person can stumble upon products that are actually beneficial to the development of our children.
#53 of 54 Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 AM

I totally agree. Imagine Mrs. Jane-Barbie-Aisle picking up some nice wooden toy for the kids because it's there. She notes a few months later that the toy hasn't broken, gets a lot of play, etc. and that she really likes they toy. She wonders where she can find others like it, so she does an internet search and finds phrases like "fair-trade" and "sustainable resources". What are those? So she looks into it a bit...

How did the rest of us learn about these things? It's not inherent knowledge. Each one of us had to come to such understanding because we were introduced to the concepts through some source, just as each of us comes to a place where we have balanced the different concerns and have decided what weight we give any of them in relation to the others.
#54 of 54 Old 01-23-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The German toy stores had them packaged the same way they are on the Schleich website: look here. So, don't feel bad about Target "boxing" them. Schleich hasn't changed anything just to sell them at Target.
Methinks the toy stores that have them outside of the boxes have taken them out of the boxes before selling them.

Jesse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page